“Lovely setting and great service”

and 1 more site!
Grand Victorian Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed here with two other couples in June 2011. Eva was a great hostess, breakfast was fantastic, and we really loved having our wine on the porch with friends. It's quiet and peaceful and the winery is right next door. Doesn't get much better. We will come again!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank nursejan0205

Reviewed May 30, 2011

My husband and I just stayed at the Grand Victorian. It is a beautiful home! Eva and her family are very nice and welcoming, and I loved their cat and dog :) The porch is awesome, beautiful flowers all around and very fragrant!

We stayed in the Jackson Room, very nice. It is on the ground floor, so the only downside to this was the noise upstairs. Heard every footstep! We sleep with a sound machine so it drowned out some of the noise, but in the morning with everyone clunking down the steps for breakfast it was pretty noisy.

We did not use the tennis court, and the swimming pool was empty. Too cold for swimming anyway-but if you are looking fwd to swimming-make sure the pool is in commission before you go!

Location:
About 2.5 miles into Old Town-cutest town ever!! I would have liked to be within walking distance, but the few minutes that it takes to drive there was fine. And in the opposite direction, about a 20 min drive to the Falls.

TIP: If you are driving to the Falls, Eva gave us a great tip on where to park! Turn Right onto Clifton (where all of the museums are) and then Right onto Ellen. There is a parking lot there for $7 all day. Other lots were asking $10 or $15. The $7 rate was around 2-2:30pm but had gone up to $10 by the time we got back to our car a couple of hours later. Or there is metered parking (not a lot), but if you dont want to stress about getting back to the meter Id do an all day lot.

Shopping:
Tons of great shops in Old Town, bakeries, ice cream shops. If you want antiques, I highly recommend Europa Antiques, in a former church. Beautiful pieces of furniture-not the junky stuff that you can find at some antique shops. Pick up a map at one of the stores to find this shop-it is not in town, you'll need to drive. We found a great map at a pharmacy on King Street, but I bet most of the shops offer the same detailed map.

We had a picnic across the street from the Falls in a little park. We picked up made to order sandwiches at Rest To Go Go (part of Stone Road Grille)-water was only $1 and big cookies were only $1-reasonably priced compared to reviews I had read on dining AT the Falls! We did walk to Rest To Go Go from town-but I was in heels...and wouldn't do it again :) It was a good walk!

Niagara-on-the-Lake was truly a special little place. Wineries everywhere. And Eva offers tickets to their winery next door for a complimentary tasting.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank whitney1210
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I loved this place, it really did feel like you stepped back in time. A grand, old mansion from the late 1800's, it was lovingly converted into a B&B...creaky wood floors, antique furnishings and art, wood burning fireplaces on every level, soft jazz playing in the parlor, so many nice places to enjoy tea and sit quietly or read a book or have a chat. I stayed in the River Room, a charming room facing the Niagara River with a wood burning fireplace and beautiful furnishings (claw foot tub in bathroom, yay!). As I've said in past reviews, I am not a true B&B girl but I just had to stay here because I was so intrigued by it. There are only 5 or 6 rooms but each room is so different and unique, it is hard to pick which one you'll like best. I stayed in winter and it was so beautiful, I can only imagine what it will be like on the porch or in the gardens in summer. Eva was a wonderful host, open, friendly, wise and worldly. Makes you feel right at home and incredibly comfortable. Unfortunately I slept through breakfast but before leaving had the best tea and lemon loaf I've ever tasted (along with a lovely conversation with Eva). Complimentary tasting at Reif Winery next door is a nice touch. Seems most people that stay there are repeat guests. However, this establishment is not for everyone as there is no internet or television (my stepdaughter GASPS at this notion!). Truly an escape and welcome reprieve from the daily hustle and bustle of life. If you are looking for something otherworldly, stay here! Can't wait to come back in the summer.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LeisureLadyJ
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Stayed at the Grand Victorian for Valentines day with my fiancee. We stayed in the West room, which we thought was a nice size with a big bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. The picture on the website of this room is a little different then what the current lay-out of the room is, because it now has a electric fireplace. The breakfast in the morning was very good, and we enjoyed going to the Reif winery next door. Eva and Klaus were very welcoming and helpful. We would definitely here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2009

We had the pleasure of staying at The Grand Victorian last month and it was very warm and inviting. This huge historic mansion is quite the experience. Eva the owner is very dedicated to maintaining this old house's charm. She has worked very hard to keep this house in its original form and it has paid off. Thanks again Eva for a great stay! See you next year!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My husband and I work so many hours and never have time to relax and connect. Until we came to the Grand Victorian. This old house has an aura about it that as soon as your step inside, the senses to respect and enjoy the little things in life- come to life. As we had a glass of wine on the beautiful veranda over looking country gardens and class, my husband and I were able to catch up and reminisce on old times. Our room had a beautiful four poster bed with exquisite bed decor. Old antique furniture filled the mansion. It was really an experience that is not available anymore. Everyone I know goes on trips to stare at tvs and basically ignore each other. You will not find that setting here.
A+ for the fact that there is a popular winery right next door!!!
I read the other reviews and to be honest the brides sound like bridezillas. And yes old mansions may have some cracked paint, it didn't disturb mine or my husbands sleep and its nothing noticeable.
My piece of advice is call and set up an appointment to check out what they offer for weddings. You can't please everyone.
Upon our departure we saw the hard work going into the set up of a wedding, and we also go to look through some photo albums on the premises and the weddings look magical.
My husband and I were very happy with the Grand Victorian. It was EXACTLY what we needed to escape and unwind! Thanks again Grand Vic! See you next summer!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2009

If you appreciate an historic property with the real feel of the Victorian period over a newly built pristine but artifical representation of the past then the GV is a good fit for you.
The owners have taken pains to modernize yet retain much of the authentic features of their Victorian mansion. The hostess greets you with a friendly and energetic manner ---she offers plenty of good advice on local sites and wineries. She made dinner reservations for us at a fantastic local restaurant and pointed out the free wine tasting at the winery next door for GV guests.
The large wrap around porch has nice wicker rockers and a swing for relaxing. A spacious entry room with a huge fireplace has several large rooms off each side.
A massive oak staircase leads a large, albeit somewhat dim, central common area on the second floor, the guest rooms fan off on all sides. Each room and private bath is individually decorated with Victorian antiques —clawfoot tubs, brass fixtures, amoires, enormous canopy beds, some are suites -- no TV's or phones-- but that adds to the escape-from-the-modern-world experience. Clean rooms with nice quality linens and towels, pretty bed dressings and pillows. There are a few pieces of rococco ceramics and brickabracks scattered about that might be off putting to purists, didn't bother us.
There is a working vineyard next door and you can view it from the back. There is some lawn, garden and a tennis court—not manicured but pleasant. The location on the parkway road is just far enough out of town to escape the town bustle but close enough drive to the center of NOTL in a few minutes.
Breakfast is cereal and coffee available before the full 9 am buffet that included a tasty hot quiche, cold meats, cheeses, fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, several toasting breads and tasty sweet breads made on the premises, --with all of the guests at one big table, several were repeat customers and all were well pleased with their rooms and the owner's advice. The whole stay was a nice break from giant Niagra Falls resorts, over-priced spas and pretentious inns.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple