“A Days of Wine and Chocolate Delight”

Chateau des Charmes
Caledon, Canada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“A Days of Wine and Chocolate Delight”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was one of our stops on the Wine and Chocolate tour and we thought the wine and dessert offered, and the atmosphere of this vineyard were really delightful. While tours are still being offered in the winter, we didn't go on one because of the heavy snow. We hope to return in the summer to learn more about this winery, but if you're taking the Wine and Chocolate tour, don't miss Chateau des Charmes.

Visited February 2013

• Korean first
Kitchener, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Worth a stop on your wine tasting tour!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

While staying in NOTL we had the opportunity to stop here twice, once in December and again in January during the ice wine festival. Both times we were very pleased with the service and educational information about the wine we tried from the staff we interacted with. We had a complimentary tasting pass so I can't comment about the fees but I can say I enjoyed the experience. We didn't have the time to take a tour but it's one I'd like to check out in the future.

Visited January 2013
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“As a local I WANT to love going there but I can't...”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Let me preface this by saying that I love living in this area and my husband and I have immersed ourselves in all that it has to offer, including visiting most of the wineries, becoming wine club members at a couple, taking a wine course, etc., etc. Because Chateau des Charmes is visually beautiful from the outside (hence the two stars) and right in our own back yard, I really would like to make it one of the places we regularly visit and buy from......but I can't. I'm not surprised at the negative comments on this forum. While the atmosphere at other wineries is warm, inviting and interactive, I have found in the past that the charm at the Chateau stops at its physical beauty and they seem to be concerned with only one thing: bringing in busloads of one-time customers with one goal in mind - to make money.
This afternoon's experience did nothing to change my mind when a friend and I stopped by to make a purchase. She brought a bottle of ice wine and 2 bottles of sparking wine to the cash desk to hold for her since she wanted to do a tasting. Despite her intention to make a substantial purchase, she was told the tasting fee would be $1 per sample ($4 for ice wine) and that her purchase fell about $25 short of the required $150. Other wineries are anxious to promote their wines and pleased to waive the fee upon purchase. We will not be returning since we prefer to direct our business to the many other wonderful local wineries who are friendly and welcoming - and I'm sure our many friends and neighbours will be doing the same. Sad to say, it won't matter to Chateau des Charmes since they rely on busloads of out-of-town customers who are ushered in and out of the revolving door of this soulless place.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank bluewater_2004
MicheleBosc, Owner at Chateau des Charmes, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Hello Bluewater_2004.
I'm sorry you were less than pleased with your experience at our winery. Each winery in our neighbourhood has their own policy regarding tasting bar fees and whether or not they will be waived and in what circumstances. We survey leaders in the industry to make sure that our policies are fair and comparable to properties we consider to be benchmarks. What we have found is that there are as many policies as there are wineries. But like any policy, our staff have the ability to make decisions on a case-by-case basis when appropriate. In speaking with members of our team who welcomed you and your friend on that day, they in fact did offer to waive your tasting fees but you declined.

We pride ourslves on providing outstanding customer service to everyone who chooses to vist us, whether they are from our very own neighbourhood or from somewhere around the world. All are welcome at Chateau des Charmes. Our goal is to help each person feel like they are being welcomed into our home. Perhaps you and your friend would be open to trying us again.
Wayne, PA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful Winery, Nice Tour, Tasting Lacked Charm”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We visited this winery in late December after a snow fall. The building and estate looked gorgeous in the snow. We signed up for the tour and tasting. The tour included three tastings at the end and was five dollars a person. The tour lasted approx twenty minutes. The tour took place inside and was informative. We did get to see the bottling and labeling room which we did not see at other wineries. At the end of the tour, we sampled three pre chosen wines none of which were ice wines which was slightly disappointing. It would have been nice also if your tour fee was credited to your purchase in the store or if your wine sampling fee was credited toward your purchase. We had to pay to sample the bottles of wine we eventually bought. Overall, we thought other wineries in the area offered better value.

1 Thank crombie6
Toronto, Canada
“Chateau des Charmes, Niagara-on-the-Lake”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

A very aesthetic experience into the integration of taking traditional ideas and the modern influences.

Visited October 2012