“Bed Bugs!! Sept 2012” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
“Bed Bugs!! Sept 2012”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

My wife and i were checking in my sister in law and her boyfriend into a suite on the second floor. My sister in law's boyfriend imediately discovered a bed bug on the ceiling beside the exhaust fan in the bathroom. we are accutely aware of what a bed bug looks like because we had an infestation in a toronto appt several years ago. and have paid very close attention to this alarming new issue. Upon calling the manager to our room we were told she wasnt sure what it was and brought in the cleaning staff to check. The cleaning staff informed us that they have seen several of these and not to worry because the exterminator said they were only tics! As if tics were acceptable! Being near experts on the subject and with the aid of a photo of a bedbug my wife googled on her phone, we insisted it was a bed bug. obviously the exterminator doesn't want to deal with a bedbug issue at a prestigious hotel like the hilton, so he instead passes them off as tics, which are not known to frequent populated urban areas and most certainly not hotels! in fact tics are a very rare occurance even in a wooded area. We refused accepting another room to stay in because if you see one bed bug especially in the day time there is probably alot more you dont see. My sister in law and her boyfriend instead stayed at another unnamed hotel in St. Catharines. Had the management accepted responsability and admitted it was a bed bug I probably wouldn't have wrote this review.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Dane S
Colleagus, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Hello “LESS”,
I am writing to you due to your false comment placed on our TripAdvisor listing and to the readers. First of all Ms. Michelene X, was registered in this room which was 325 and you as you even do not remember on which floor since 48 hours ago. They found an insect near the exhaust fan that is located in the bathroom. We had a major windstorm the night before and since our hotel is in a conservation area full of trees and other plants, it could scary insect get into the hotel via an exhaust fan in the hotel.

Bedbugs would be located near the bed, or other fabrics like carpets pillows and curtains and not on the bathroom ceiling. The guest - Michelene X. checked in at 3:07PM on September 8th and checked out by 4:12PM – we believe there was another motive to their early exit. Their motive was to get out of paying any late cancellation fees since they had found another hotel (Best Western) that they wanted to be in instead.
We have our rooms inspected very often by our local pest control service at our own expense, on top of the regular Hilton standards that we abide by, to keep the rooms clean and free of pests and insects. After Michelene X her guests and “LESS” left the hotel, we immediately inspected the room ourselves to find no insect problem at all. We reset the room and sold it to another customer by the name of Jurgen and Elena X. They checked out the following morning with no complaints of any sort. I did sent folios of both parties to TripAdvisor guest relation department in case you would like to verify with the guests Jurgen and Elena. Not only did the comment bother us since our hotel is very clean, but the guest also cited the wrong floor in their complaint, referring to the 2nd floor when in fact they were on the 3rd floor in room 325.

We believe TripAdvisor not only serves as a great tool for guests to choose the right hotel, but we like to use it as a learning tool. So we don’t make the same mistakes again as we run our hotel. In this case, we cannot allow false comments to ruin our reputation and we ask that this matter is taken seriously and that the comments be removed from our profile immediately. We cannot afford and do not wish to lose business from this FALSE comment.

With kind regards and Skål: Frank Vismeg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Hotel was very clean. I actually got a free stay with a credit card reward.. and an upgraded whirlpool in my room! It was very sweet and I would recommend this hotel if you want to get away from the Niagara Falls touristy scene and enjoy some outdoor activities / closeness to wine. Breakfast was $12/person but it's all you can eat so I stuffed up.

1 Thank johnay271
Colleagus, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
Let take this opportunity to thank you for selecting the Hilton Garden Inn for your stay during your visit to Great Niagara Wine Region and we are happy to hear that you were upgraded to one of our 11 invigorating Jacuzzi Suites and had an excellent experience. Also, that our friendly and professional staff provided you with good service. Also, that you have enjoyed our Buffet breakfast with wide selection of dishes including cooked to order eggs. Thank you for giving us a favorable review and looking forward to welcome you back in the very near future: Frank Vismeg
edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

this was a nice hotel with very friendly staff wee girl from china kept bar open a bit later but bar man closed it the 2nd night at 10 pm and there was 6 of us sitting at it restaurant was very nice too as usual hilton didnt disappoint excellent stay

Room Tip: about 4 or 5 miles from the wee town of niagara on the lakes but it quieter
1 Thank fluffy75
Dear Guest,
Let take this opportunity to thank you for selecting the Hilton Garden Inn for your stay during your visit to Great Niagara Wine Region and we are happy to hear that you had an excellent stay and giving us excellent review. Also, that our friendly and professional staff provided you with very good service. Let me apologize for 2nd night for not keeping the Pavilion Lounge open longer, which I followed up with our duty manager and I am reassuring you that will not happen again. Looking forward to welcome you back in the very near future: Frank Vismeg
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I've read a bunch of other reviews and I do agree with what some of the points they make. The rooms are clean (ours was too clean because you smelled the cleaning supplies all night), the beds were comfortable and the breakfast was good.

There were other things that brought this down for my daughter and myself.

There was a wedding reception on the night we were there. We were right above the room it was being held in and it was quite loud. My daughter reception a couple of times to complain about the noise and was told it would be taken care of. Unfortunately it didn't stop until 2am.

I find it funny that they claim they are "in" Niagara-on-the-Lake instead of being close to there. It's close to a 15 minute drive to get to the main strip of NOTL. The indoor pool they have is nice but it's about 3 times the size of a hot tub. The last negative thing I have to say is after a show I wanted to have a soft drink and was going to buy one from their "pantry". The receptionist told me that it was going to be $2.35. FOR A CAN OF POP? I couldn't believe this. So for 3 cans of pop you can buy a case of 12 in a grocery store. There's too much markup on that if you ask me.

All in all this is the type of place to stay for a "sleep" and nothing else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RickToronto_Canada
Colleagus, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We take a great pride in our service and do apologize if you felt that we did not completely satisfied. We are happy to hear that you have experienced our accommodation clean and comfortable and selection on our breakfast buffet very good. Our address is 500 York Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, which is only 12 minutes drive to downtown or to the famous Niagara Falls in the mid of Niagara Glorious Niagara Wine Region. Like most hotels we do have wedding receptions. Our Grand View Ballroom is on lower level and the music stop at 1:00 AM. Several of our rooms are directly above the ballroom and not below. Our practice is to register our wedding guest in those rooms above the ballroom in case is music louder to not to disturb our non wedding guest. If you were assigned one of those rooms we do apologize for inconveniences. Our indoor swimming pool is according with the Hilton Garden Inn compliances 12’ X 25’ which holds 10,000 gallons of water and our guest are very satisfied with our pool and invigorating Jacuzzi. We do apologize if everything was not exactly to your liking as a perfect guest experience is always our number one goal. Thank you again for your feedback and looking forward to welcome you back: Frank Vismeg
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I attended a wedding at the Hilton Garden Inn in August.
When we arrived to the hotel for check-in the staff was very friendly and helpful. We had made a reservation over the phone. We did not book our room in time to meet the cut off time for the room block for the wedding. When we told them we were attending a wedding, they honoured the room block for us and we had received a discount,
Our room was amazing. We had a Jacuzzi suite. We had a wonderful view of the beautiful trees and the garden. Our room was spacious and clean. We had a mini fridge, coffee maker and even our own microwave. It also came with internet. I was impressed that the plugs and hook up were at desk level, since most hotels have you moving furniture and bending over looking for available plugs. Even the beds were amazing and comfortable. They all had adjustments on them for your own comfort level. I don’t remember the last time I slept so peaceful.
The wedding venue was stunning. It was outdoors in a private garden overlooking nature. The décor was gorgeous.
The reception was indoors. The venue was huge with glass sliding doors overlooking the gardens. The staff had informed us that the patio was licensed and that we could take our cocktails outside, which was great because the weather was nice.
The food was delicious. The presentation was WOW. From the salad to the entrée it was better than 5 star. The salad came wrapped in a cucumber. Everyone at the table felt bad eating it because it looked so incredible.
All the staff and management that night were friendly and courteous to all of the guests attending the wedding.
The next day upon check out we were asked how the wedding was. I thought it was great that the staff cared. We were thanked on many occasions for our business. Out of all the years that I have stayed at hotels never did I receive such great appreciation for my business.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to couples and families of all ages. And most importantly I would recommend the Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-On-The-Lake to all couples looking for a perfect and memorable wedding day.

Sonia Ott

Room Tip: Jacuzzi Suite is a must!!!!!
2 Thank Sonia O
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your five star rating review. We take great pride in our service and our staff, which is well trained to provide the professional and friendly services to all our guest. Also, I am happy to hear that you have an opportunity to experience our in room amenities including our invigorating Jacuzzi Suite. Also, that you and your family have enjoyed outdoor wedding ceremony in park like surroundings and after in our Garden View Ballroom delicious meals and “WOW” presentation. We are specializing in wedding business and we are happy to hear that you and your family were very satisfied with all our services and most importantly that you will be recommending our etablishment to your families and friends. Mrs. Ott we are looking forward to welcome you and your family back in the very near future: Frank Vismeg
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was exactly what I would expect from a Hilton Garden Inn, but don't expect to be too close to anything touristy in the area. If you don't have a car, you won't really be able to do any of the attractions in the area like hanging out in the downtown area. If I went again, I would try to stay closer to the historic downtown area, but this hotel was perfectly good as far as hotels go.

1 Thank Rachel R
Colleagus, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for awarding us with five star rating for our facilities and services and we are happy to hear that you had a enjoyable stay the Hilton Garden Inn and that our professional team made you feel at home. Thank you for selecting the Hilton Garden Inn and Niagara Glorious Wine Region for your trip and looking forward to welcome you back: Frank Vismeg
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Good - great location in wine country, lovely hotel, great pool and hot tub area that opens to a lovely terrace, wonderful helpful staff.

Bad - Nothing really...

Great place to stay if you are doing wine tours and dont want to have to travel too far afterwards. I do believe they have shuttles that run to various wineries too.

Room Tip: Forest side of the hotel.
1 Thank cballarino
Dear Guest,

Thank you for awarding us with high rating and I am happy to hear that you had a enjoyable stay and the Hilton Garden Inn and that our team made you feel at home, as well that you had a great experience in Niagara Region. Thank you for selecting the Hilton Garden Inn and Niagara Glorious Wine Region for your trip and looking forward to welcome you back: Frank Vismeg