“Gracious Hosts, Lovely Rooms. Great Food”

Annette Twining House
Reviewed August 21, 2007

This is a great find. Well kept and quiet. Easy walking distance to all theaters. Large yard with several fountains, pond, gazebo, comfortable seating - perfect for reading or visiting. Our room was large and comfortable with a seating area and a roof porch for star gazing and sipping wine. If this isn't enough, a very creative and delicious, five course breakfast was served in one seating at a large dining room table. We had such a good time talking with the other guests and our hosts that breakfast lasted 2 hours. The owners, Annette and Michael, were extremely helpful and very interesting. We borrowed bikes from the house for a day of riding. While the setting is elegant it is not formal but rather friendly and relaxed. We have told all of our friends and plan to return next year. I would suggest booking early as many of the guests we met seem to make this an annual event.
Chapel Hill, NC
8/2007

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed July 21, 2007

My wife and I just returned from a very pleasant weekend in Niagara-on-the-Lake which was made even more perfect by our stay at the Annette Twining Bed and Breakfast.

Both Annette and Mike are gracious and accommodating hosts who run a lovely B&B. The rooms are excellent. Well-decorated and furnished. The breakfasts were amazing. Annette is a marvelous cook who works magic with food. Today's was a crab quiche.

For those who enjoy dogs, Sadie (a Westie) and Louis (a Bichon) are also very friendly.

We will definitely return.

1  Thank Freedom5
Reviewed July 14, 2007

My husband and I spent last weekend at the Annette Twining House. We went to Niagara-on-the-Lake on the tail-end of my husband's hectic business trip, just a 40-hour getaway to see plays at the Shaw Festival.

Then time stopped. We parked our rental car at the bed and breakfast, and didn' t touch it again until we left town, because everything we needed - restaurants, theatres, stores and the bank were within easy (and pretty) walking distance.

Annette and Michael were lounging on the front porch with their two lovely dogs when we arrived. When we saw how relaxed they were, it somehow made us relax, even after a couple of hours driving the QEW in rush hour. How they manage to look so laid-back is beyond me, as they must invest an enormous amount of work into running the place so perfectly.

The rooms combined the grace of the past with the best of the present, like air conditioning and good mattresses. Our bed was a Simmons Beautyrest Pillowtop Odyssey. I know because my husband slept so well there that we decided to buy whatever it was we were sleeping on.

Our sitting room had comfortable seating in which to unwind between plays, and a well-stocked bookshelf. I spent some very happy moments curled up in an armchair, wearing the robe I found waiting for me in the bathroom, reading a British National Trust journal that had been arranged with other interesting magazines on our coffee table. I am determined to subscribe.

The three-course breakfasts were delicious and healthy, with fresh fruit and herbs (some from Annette and Michael's garden), all artfully arranged. One dish even came garnished with an edible flower. I don't enjoy eggs benedict enough to order it in a restaurant, but Annette's was so good it made me re-evaluate my neglect of this classic breakfast dish. There was a frittata the second day that I've been trying to duplicate ever since I got home.

I suppose that is the highest praise I can give the Annette Twining House, that it made me want to recreate that peace, comfort and culinary bliss in our own lives. We will certainly return.

Reviewed July 11, 2007

Just got back from four fabulous days staying at the Annette TwiningHouse at Niagara-on-the-Lake. This bed and breakfast has all the elements people look for in a bed and breakfast but rarely find in one place. Annette and Michael are the most charming and accomodating hosts. Because of a long wait clearing customs, we had to check in quickly, change our clothes and rush to make the theatre on time. Before we knew it, our host was driving us to the theatre to make sure that we didn't miss the curtain! The location is perfection. Beautiful, quiet street centrally located, close to all theatres, shops, restaurants. Private off street parking. Unlike many other establishments, this location enables you to easily walk everywhere in town -- a lovely stroll to all three theatres.

Gourmet three course breakfasts are served in the formal dining room at 9:00 am. Fresh seasonal fruit, frittatas, quiches, homemade breads and coffee cakes--each meal was better than the last-- start the day off in style. Delicious coffee and a tea pot awaiting my husband every morning. We never needed anything more than a light snack in the afternoon. However, while the food is filling it is not heavy. (Annette accomodates special diets but you won't want to stay on yours.) You leave the table feeling satisfied and ready for the next adventure. Annette and Michael always make sure that you have everything you need to make your day perfect. As long time residents of the community they have many contacts and excellent suggestions. They are generous with coupons, ideas and free wine tasting cards from some of the best wineries in the region. Their two charming dogs, Louis a Bichon and Sadie a Westie are delightful and well behaved. If you are a dog lover you will fall in love with them. If not, they are never under foot.

The home is a beautifully restored early 19th century building. Annette used to be a decorator and everything is very tastefully furnished. Our room had its own small sitting room, full closet, separate bedroom with four poster bed and crocheted canopy. Private en-suite bathroom with all the modern conveniences, yet decorated to suit the style of the home. The central air conditioning was a dream. Totally quiet and always comfortable.

The gardens are enough reason on their own to book a room at this home. Large, spacious, overflowing with flowers, fountains, and arches forming beautiful outdoor room-like settings. We had a light dinner in the gazebo from goodies we collected during the day. They set out a tray with china, glassware and silverware on a linen floral tablecloth for our use. It was the kind of alfresco meal you dream about. A refrigerator is in the hall for guest use. Wine glasses and cork screws are also out on the hall table.

This place rates a perfect score. We can't wait to come back.

Reviewed July 2, 2007

Annette and Mike are both extremely friendly hosts and they immediately made me felt so welcome and comfortable staying at their place. As soon as I arrive, Annette is already suggesting places where I can go see and eat. Their house is located really close to the main district within walkable distance. The house is well kept and maintained throughout. The room I stayed at (and I'm sure the other rooms are just the same) is spotless with quality products from the toilet paper up to the linen used. They have a gorgeous garden at the back with lovely fountains. In the morning, Annette served us homemade gourmet breakfast, it was absolutely delicious. I am extremely happy with my choice to stay with Annette and Mike, I will definite go back there and recommend anyone to stay with them.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 29, 2007

We had a most wonderful stay at the Annette Twining House. It is a one minute walk to the main street with shops, restaurants and theatre, as well as a lovely walk to the river.
The Twinings were great hosts and instantly made you feel welcome. The accomodations were spotless and in keeping with a Victorian feel. We have stayed at many bed and breakfasts but have never experienced the variety and delicious home made breakfasts that Annette serves. Michael always has the coffee on and ready!
Being avid hockey fans and with our Ottawa Senators in the Stanley Cup playoffs, we decided to have one quiet meal at the house so we could watch the hockey game. Annette told us where to buy international cheese, pate and fresh bread and coldcuts. When we arrived at the house, she had a picnic basket ready for us with a tablecloth. We had dinner in the gazebo in their beautiful gardens with the company of two adorable and well behaved dogs. We also met their charming grandson Merrick.
If you stay in Niagara on the Lake, look no further, you won't be disappointed.
Micheline and Ron

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed June 21, 2007

4 of us stayed at Twinings for 2 Nights earlier this month. The rooms where traditional in decor but with all the mod cons.
The best thing about our stay was breakfast. 3 courses and different every day. I don't know how Annette can think of so many recipes. Would definately recommend anyone to stay here. We felt so welcome.

• Stayed: June 2007