“Review”

Best Western Colonel Butler Inn
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The room comfortable with reasonably good lighting. I often find the lighting in hotel rooms has little to do with the desk area where I need good lighting in order to read. The continental breakfast was reasonable. The hotel was quiet so that my sleep was undisturbed. The desk clerk was hepful in ordering a cab for me and letting me know how far away my destination and preferred brand of gasoline station was from the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is a lovely hotel and close to restaurants, shopping, theatres and anything else you may be looking for. The staff is extremely cordial and very well informed about the local area. I loved my stay here.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hotel was lovely. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the breakfast offered was great. We relied on the hotel staff for local information and tour bookings. They were were very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2013

They seem to have a culture of excellent service at this property. I had all kinds of questions when I arrived, they were all answered to my perfect satisfaction and done so with a smile!

The hotel is situated about 30 minutes walk from the Shaw theatre, I'd say 15 to downtown. An easy walk during the day but VERY poorly lit at night. Again, nothing to do with the hotel but be aware before you book. Or bring a flash light.

Nothing bad to say about the rooms except the carpet is a little older and could use a really good cleaning. The rooms were spacious, comfortable, pretty, tasteful, clean. The entire property is older but nicely taken care of. There is a lovely little balcony and patio you can relax on.

Breakfast was simple but nicely presented and definitely of good quality. You can make your own waffles which is always fun!

I wouldn't recommend the restaurant next door if you can avoid it. Slow (albeit pleasant service), sub par food and they messed up my very simple order.

I had some trouble getting a cab to the Shaw theatre (be aware it's SO hard to get a cab apparently...the very nice, very late cab driver told me they just don't want to go all the way there from St-Catherine's. When this happened, P**** at the front desk was SO so helpful.

I did wish the staff knew more about the local bus service. I ended up walking to the Fort George parking lot after checkout to get to my shuttle to the falls.

This is a good spot from which to explore the area. If you're not the shopping type (which I'm not...so while the town is lovely, there's not much to do), eSkoot and zoom bikes are around the corner. You don't have to drive through the downtown 'bustle' is you have a car. The hotel has bike racks right by the entrance where I could park my bike.

All in all, it was a good experience. I was extremely happy with the hotel and the wonderful staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
derrickbw, General Manager at Best Western Colonel Butler Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Dear Diana, We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay! You are right in that we do have a culture of service, we take pride in being knowledgable and helping guests have an enjoyable stay. Please know that now that we are slowing down from our busy season we will be doing a deep clean in our rooms including the carpets.

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the restaurant next door. I have passed on your comments to their mananger and what you experience with their food and service is not common place there.

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

As long time visitors to the Niagara area that usually stay right in Niagara Falls but this trip we decided to stay in Niagara-on-the-Lake to visit several wineries. We came across a cute Best Western there. Must be one of the areas well kept gems. It was beautiful from the outside. Upon arriving in the very clean we'll decorated lobby I was a little shocked to see a male employee sitting in the back office with both his feet resting upon the desk leaning back in his chair. I proceeded to check in where the front desk person was very friendly and knowledgeable of the area( young, dark hair in a bun). At first I thought the place was unprofessional until speaking with this young lady. The room was extremely clean and well put together. Breakfast in the morning with waffles which two young ladies were glad to help me with was wonderful. Very friendly staff all around. Just a note for the future, first impressions count and I'm glad the other staff made up for the gentleman I first saw on entering the property!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff was fantastic ... very friendly and helpful. The hotel is not very large and that was a plus since we felt more at home. Our room was excellent with a corner fireplace. The only thing we would have changed about it was the location of the television. It was in a cabinet and, although the television could be pulled out, it was difficult to view from either the bed or the living room area of the suite. We would definitely return to this hotel!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the main floor since there isn't an elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words and for such high compliments for the staff! I am glad to hear you felt at home here as that is what we want for our guests. Being the quaint size we are, it does allow us to connect with guests more than a larger hotel. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was exactly what you expect of a Best Western, clean tidy room and bathroom. It is expensive for what it is but I told that is because of the location. No elevators so make sure you ask for a ground floor room if stairs are a problem.

Staff were very friendly and the complimentary breakfast was elevated by the fresh peaches and honey that one of the staff had made - they were amazing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LucyLil
derrickbw, General Manager at Best Western Colonel Butler Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Lucy, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Our breakfast attendant, Lida, loves bringing in peaches each summer from her farm and they are definitely a big hit with guests! And as you say, since we do not have an elevator we can always secure guests on our main floor when they make a reservation. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again!