“Food good, inn ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Charles Hotel
detroit
“Food good, inn ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2005

Since I depend on reviews to help me make a decision, I thought I should contribute for once!

The Charles Inn is an old, Georgian-style home that is very quaint and charming. However, since it is older it has a few problems. Namely it is noisy (floors squeak, air conditioning rattles, etc.). However, our biggest complaint was a lack of service at times. When we asked that the air conditioning be turned to a bit cooler temperature, the desk clerk grumbled that it was all the way in the basement and she couldn't get to it. Needless to say, our room on the main floor was fairly warm (although thankfully they did have a small fan available). We splurged on one the premium rooms and I expected a bit more hospitality (none of the rooms are very cheap here and I they are all a bit overpriced).

The food at the Inn is very good. We had a marvelous dinner and a nice bottle of wine steps away from our room. No worrying about a commute after a few drinks! A breakfast was included in our package and it was also good. A table next to us sent their omlette back three times for this or that (they were very picky and annoying) and to his credit, the young waiter never flinched and the morning chef quickly accomodated.

Upon checkout, I inquired about which rooms are the quietest. The clerk suggested the Poppy Room or the premium room on the third floor.

I think that if the price was a bit lower and the service a tad better, I would have ranked the Charles Inn higher.

• Stayed August 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank mokitty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Milan Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2005

Everytime they mow the golf course surrounding the hotel, the cockroaches flee to the first building they come to... The Charles Inn. Imagine waking up at night with a cock roach crawling on you. In the back is a fresh water lake with freshly hatched mosquitos waiting to devour you. While I realize there are several posts praising this Inn, it appears to all be written by the same person under different IDs (notice the style of language). I would not recommend this place at all. Save your money and stay 20 minutes south of here in Niagara Falls where you can get a real bargain. If you want to see Niagara on the Lake then drive here. I just discovered that 4 of the biggest hotels in Niagara on the Lake are owned by the same person, which explains why there is so little competition in price, quality and service in this town. I found the staff at the hotel to be downright mean and condescending to me.

• Stayed July 2005
17 Thank hartforth
, Guest Services Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2005
I am writing in response to a complete and utterly false review of The Charles Inn. I have had the pleasure of serving many guests at The Charles and never has there been one complaint regarding mosquitos and or cockroaches. We are blessed with a warm and diligent staff who make every effort to ensure our guests are comfortable and satisfied with every aspect of their stay here. I find a similar theme in reviews as of late and question the validity of the responses. I am certainly glad it's not an opinion shared by the many guests who are greeted here daily.
Warren, Mi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2005

This is a snooty, overpriced illusion. No amount of professionally posted hype will convince me to stay there again. Blissful Gem? No real customer wrote that. The walls are thin, the floors squeek, it needs fixing up. The staff were simply arrogant and self-important.

• Stayed July 2005
13 Thank antontravel2004
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2005

I was really looking forward to our stay at the Charles Inn, especially after reading so many positive reviews. The experience began badly though, with Kathy the innkeeper putting me on and off hold for minutes at a time during reservations, each time forgetting who I was, what dates I wanted etc. She then quoted me a price for the stay, dinner and full breakfast, changed it, changed it back, changed it again, until I asked for her to send me a confirmation email confirming the original lower price. She didn't do this. I asked a week later and didn't get it. Another week, I call the hotel and speak to another lady who confirms the price at the higher rate. I tell her that this was not agreed upon and she agrees to change it to the original rate that Kathy gave us. Then surprises me with a 15% "service charge" on top. I expected tax, but I must be ignorant because I've never heard of a service charge? Anyway, I was committed to going.

I booked the Newark Room, and while it was lovely, it was not nearly as lovely as the $300 we paid for it. The "private verandah" was not...it was occupied by a neighbour for some of the evening. The verandah can be strolled along, so blinds must be drawn tight or strollers can get a peek. The fire alarm went off when I was in the shower and we were evacuated into the street. Turns out that the heat in the kitchen set off the alarm. We were let in 45 minutes later and were late for our dinner at the attached restaurant. When Kathy came by to say hello, we at least expected a mention of the alarm (perhaps a free drink or some such) but were told nothing. Instead, she suggested I hold my wedding at Charles Inn...don't think so. As we were late for dinner, we were also late for other events that I had booked that night.

The bed was comfy and the air conditioning is good. I scalded my hand on the faulty coffee pot when the filter popped off the machine. Next morning we were informed that we were not able to have the full breakfast that we had pre-paid for, due to the kitchen being shut down (it wasn't shut the previous night after the alarm, but oh well). The "continental breakfast" that was offered consisted of smoked salmon, pieces of fruit, banana muffins and cereal with warm milk. Poor selection and quality. Coffee was excellent. Toast requested twice and arrived cold. No mention of refund for breakfast. I am writing a letter to explain my displeasure that something that we paid for was not provided, nor any explanation given. A free drink and an apology would have solved all this, but the whole experience left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

• Stayed June 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
20 Thank Sunday_Morning
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2005

This is the first time I have felt compelled to review a hotel, but I wanted to let as many people as possible discover this gem. My first visit to The Charles Inn was in the dead of winter. I went with a group of girls for an overnight get-away and to celebrate a birthday. It was an easy 45 minutes from Buffalo, even in winter snow. Upon arrival the whole group immediately assembled for a run to build up an appetite for dinner. The town was magical with a snow covering and white lights to help us see our way. Next we were in for a culinary treat with an absolutely delicious dinner served in a friendly and efficient manner. As a mother of 2 teenagers I couldn't wait to indulge in a spacious and well -appointed room with my own fireplace. The bathrooms have been tastefully renovated to be in keeping with the old world charm of the entire inn. Somehow The Charles Inn has managed to combine the quaintness of a historic inn with the luxuries and indulgences of the modern world. The service was excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly. I would return in a minute for a romantic interlude, girls' outing or couples' weekend.

I also recently went to the Inn for a graduation celebration. It was fun to experience the Inn during a different season. The inn's gardens were in full bloom and gorgeous. The Dining Room looked very springy in its linen and lovely centerpieces. The tea was fabulous from tea sandwiches to a mulititude of petit fours. The Charles Inn has exceeded my expectations on both visits. I highly recommend it for its one-of-a-kind atmosphere and exceptional cuisine.

4 Thank berbBuffalo
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2005

We recently had afternoon tea for 30 people at The Charles Inn for a graduation party, and several of us spent the evening at this lovely and totally refurbished Inn. First of all the Tea was fantastic, the scones, the sandwiches, pastries, deserts, flowers were all outstanding. The service was impeccable. The rooms were so classy- all the charm of this heritage property, but every inch freshly and fantastically renovated. This place is pure Class, combining the best of the old world with the best of the new world. The location on the main street is very convenient and at the same time the grounds are gracious and gorgeous, right next to the historic golf course with great dining and outdoor verandas. I highly recommend The Charles inn. I almost forgot to mention the gardens in the back of the hotel, we took so many photographs with our group- this is a great setting for any function-i.e wedding, anniversary, birthday, graduation or just a get-a-way. You'll fall in love with The Charles. Bravo!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2005

I don’t know how to thank you! It was suggested that I stay in Niagara-on-the-Lake on a recent car test and wine-buying trip that I took with a friend.

We landed up at this beautiful Inn…The Charles Inn, a heritage home from 1832. The attentive staff and the immaculate detail of décor etc are outstanding.

If you want one of the worlds best Inns, it is located right in Niagara-on-the-Lake. I look forward to returning again and again.

JP-Monteal