“(not so cheap) but cheerful”
Review of The Charles Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Charles Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“(not so cheap) but cheerful”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Very nice stay at the Charles Inn. We took a small room - close to $200 still - the only one left, and found the service was simply impeccable. The staff were very welcoming, and by and large everything was done to make you feel at home. The accommodation is clearly dated, and if you are not too demanding on having state of the art comfort, then you will enjoy the place as well as the premium location, right at the end of the high street. We recommend the breakfast.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sarah L, Front Office Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Our sincere thanks for your kind comments! While you were booked into one of our smaller rooms, we have twelve rooms total, each of which is unique in size, amenities, and decor and most of which have been completely updated within the last two years. I am glad you found our service impeccable – we pride ourselves on our level of service and ability to make our guests feel at home. Thank you again and we hope you will find the opportunity to join us again!

Safe travels,

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Decent place, but we booked approximately 7 weeks before and provided our credit card. We were shocked to find that their policy is to charge for the first night right away. Understanding that we were only staying for one night, this was a shock. I emailed them with my concern, saying that most Hotels use the credit card to reserve the booking and do not charge until the visit or you fail to arrive. Basically they said the check the fine print and their policy. Nothing hidden, but not right. Will not stay there again. Better options in Niagara on the Lake. Perhaps more expensive, but a more customer friendly Reservtion Policy.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Steve W
Thank you for your review of The Charles Inn. Although we encounter very little dissatisfaction with our current deposit and cancellation policies, we will be sure to review our current set-up as keeping our guests happy with our product is our top priority. Thank you again for your review and we hope you enjoyed your stay with us.

The Charles Inn
United States
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Very charming historic Inn nestled in downtown Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada.
I stayed in the Magnolia room which was on the second floor and I had a private screened in balcony all to myself. I really appreciated Kimerlyn the front desk manager being so helpful and nice and truly made me and my family welcome. My sister and cousin stayed in the Safari room which was on the top floor and decorated really nice and the room was comfortable. Additionally, their chef cooks wonderful meals and I didn't have one bad meal there. The food was outstanding!!!!! I would like to go back again and stay a week next time. This is truly a wonderful place to stay and it was clean. I heard that there is a tunnel under the house that runs from the lake to the home which I think is now boarded up. There is a lot of history in this Inn and I enjoyed staying there so much. It was very relaxing. If you are looking for relaxation this is the place to stay!!! Also, be prepared to shop since there were so many very nice shops in walking distance and bring a suitcase large enough to bring it all back home. :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Korinne L
Sarah L, Front Office Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
From the entire team here at The Charles, thank you for such a great review! Kimlin is truly a great member of our team, and I’m glad she made your family feel so welcome. The team in the kitchen is truly dynamic and dedicated to their craft which was clearly reflected in your experience with us! All in all, it sounds like you had an amazing time here in Niagara-on-the-Lake; we hope you will return – this time for a week 

Safe travels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had a really pleasant experience during our one night visit to the Charles Inn. We stayed in the Magnolia room, and were surpised to find a personal greeting card, and some homemade goodies waiting for us. Although the room was a bit small, the decor in the room had an olde world charm about it. The room was very clean and comfortable, and my wife was impressed by the bedding. There was a wrap around balcony outside the room, however, it was too cold to sit out there. I imagine it would be very nice during the smmer months. It had a huge bathroom, and a very good (and big) shower stall. the rain shower head was quite enjoyable. The Charles Inn also has an awards program, that when you visit more than 3 times, (or in two other named Inns in NOTL), you will automatically receive free upgrades, and some other perks. I would certainly stay at the Charles again, or perhaps try one of the two Inns, on its preferred list.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are less noisy, as the ground floor rooms are close to the kitchen/restaurant.
1 Thank John B
Thank you so much for your review. The Magnolia room is indeed very comfortable and, as you mentioned, has a fabulous private verandah overlooking the golf course and back garden. This ‘olde world’ house is indeed charming and comfortable, and we are more than happy you enjoyed the room, and your stay. Just a small correction, our rewards program is actually part of our membership in Ontario’s Finest Inns – a group of hotels and spas across all of Ontario. Each time you stay at a property you receive a stamp and after your third stamp, you are invited into the VIP program. We have two sister properties here in town who are also members of Ontario’s Finest Inns.

Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you back at ‘the Inn.’

Safe travels!

Toronto
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Charles Inn last Sunday. We had booked the Library room at the inn. The Library was a little cramped but otherwise well-appointed. Being a rather mild day, we found the thermostat a tad difficult to control. With the heat on, it was too warm; with the airconditioning on, it was quite noisy.

Check in was swift and efficient and the Inn Manager was very pleasant, helpful and welcoming. Check out was similarly swift and efficient.

The lay out of the inn was, however, not to our liking. There is a dining room (and this doubles as the breakfast - which is included - area) just outside our room. That made it rather awkward for us entering and exiting our room. There was apparently a large party in the dining room that night and we could hear muffled noises in our room.

All things considered, it was a great place to stay; we very likely would opt for a room on the upper level if we did return.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms on the upper level.
1 Thank udomeidouwedo
Sarah L, Front Office Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear “udomeidouwedo,”

Thank you so much for your review! While the Library is one of our mid-sized rooms, we have twelve guest rooms total, all of varying sizes. The evening that you stayed with us we did indeed have a large group dining on the front verandah which we regret interfered with the enjoyment of your stay. We also regret that the temperature and temperature control in your room was not satisfactory and will be addressing the noise level of the air conditioning unit at the earliest opportunity.
It is our goal here to ensure every guest feels a level of service and comfort that makes you feel at home and away all at the same time! We hope you will return and should you choose to book again, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to guide you in choosing a more suitable room, and look after the details of your stay myself.

Happy to have met, I look forward to seeing you again.

Safe travels,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Daisy Room. Wonderful room with a huge washroom and a bonus screened in veranda that we used with delight.
Everyone seemed to want to make our stay comfortable. Sarah ensured we had everything we needed and more. Personalized care I would call it, like we were the only couple there, but the Inn was full, I don't know how she did that. The dining room is elegant and the lounge is very comfortable. I can't believe we've missed this place for years of going to NOTL. I don't know that we would want to stay anywhere else now. Looking forward to going back !

Dear “Sammy5358,”

Thank you, sincerely. I am sure I can speak for our entire team when I say that your experience validates our dedication to the provision of the perfect guest experience. What I love most about this career is the opportunity to connect with people and make them feel welcome and comfortable. It really was a pleasure meeting you both, and all of us look forward to welcoming you back to “the Inn” for years to come!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We booked the very small, but very lovely, Sunflower room having found the Inn on Tripadvisor. The hotel is ideally situated, a few minutes walk from the hotels, galleries, and stores of the town centre.The room was in good condition, but was cold when we arrived. The desk staff were very attentive in resolving the problem and the room was warm when we returned from dinner.

A good night's sleep on the very comfortable queen bed was followed by the only significant disappointment of our stay as the shower was freezing cold after around 90 seconds.

Sarah took care of us and I'm sure that maintenance would have been quick to resolve the shower issue had we had a little more time.

Our breakfast, in the conservatory, was delicious and the hotel also benefitted several quality touches including very nice linens and products.

Room Tip: The Sunflower room is a bargain, if you accept that the room is very small. It does have a well-size...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah L, Front Office Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear jon0n0n,

Thank -you for your forthright review. All of our rooms are unique in both size and features, and while it is one of our smaller rooms, The Sunflower Room is bright and comfortable. We regret that the temperature was less than ideal on arrival and that there was a problem with the hot water the morning of your departure; we did have maintenance rectify the latter problem immediately. We thank you for your understanding and are happy that you left contented with how we responded; all of us here at “The Inn” are genuinely interested in making your stay the best it can possibly be. We hope to see you again!