“This place ruined our romantic anniversary weekend.”
Review of The Charles Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Charles Hotel
Cleveland, Ohio
“This place ruined our romantic anniversary weekend.”
Reviewed June 19, 2008

I am sorry that I ever booked this for our anniversary. We did not enjoy our stay for so many reasons I waited this long to post this. My husband even asked me not to review it but I say people need to know.

The room was filled with original antiques and relatively charming but it lost its appeal early for us.

The bed hit the ceiling lamp every time we moved in the bed. The heat was horrible and the room had no controls for temperature. The door to the verandah was fastened by only a hook & eye (the real lock didn't work) and the verandah was fastened by a hook & eye giving us no security. The whirlpool tub had a large glass shower wall (not in pictures on website) and nothing to hold on to while getting in or out (very difficult and treacherous).

We were next to the kitchen that had endless noises from early morning to late at night. The AC for the entire building was next door to our verandah and was continuously making sounds. As for the "private verandah" we expected, well, it is private in so much as it is a screened in porch... next to the back door every one uses, connected to the rest of the porch where people eat their breakfast while staring at us.

We had heard much about the gourmet meals served there but the breakfast was just ok. The waiter was overly friendly and included details about the kitchen staff we would have been better off not knowing.

I will grant them a lovely garden area out back. The bartender was very nice and made an excellent drink for us.

Over all, we say it isn't worth the food, the room or the price.

• Liked — Lovely old home with well cared for garden
  • Disliked — not comfortable, not safe, not worth it.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alkpoet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Brantford
Reviewed June 3, 2008

I deceided to stay at the Charles Inn after reading the reviews on this site. I stayed there for two nights and really enjoyed it. I stayed in a delightful room called the Renoir Room

I'll start with the pros.

1. EXCELLENT/FRIENDLY staff!
2. Clean!
3. Charming
4. Central to everything
5. Free Parking
6. Excellent food/dining area!
7. Wonderful Bathroom Facilities.
8. The balcony/sitting areas were pleasant and relaxing.
9. A wonder FAQ book was provided informing you from everything to dining to lovely radio stations.

Cons:

1. The food was VERY expensive for what you got....but its to be expected at a high end Inn/Dining area I guess

2. The room was on the cool side, other guests were complaining about it too and we were all accomadated promptly.

3. The showere/bath was very difficult to moderate hot/cold to get a happy medium.

4. Guests were sitting on the balcony right by my window and you could hear their conversations late at night.

5. Lack of electrical outlets. I wanted to charge my cell phone and battery for my digital camera and I had to unplug either the coffee maker or T.V

6. For the amount I paid for two nights I thought the continental breakfast was very cheap, didn't offer any variety and you have to pay for a breakfast if you wanted something good.

ON THE WHOLE.....I will definately go back.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Tygris
Ontario
Reviewed June 1, 2008

My wife and I have stayed in over 20 hotels, inns, B&Bs in Niagara-on-the-Lake (NOTL). Our stay at the Charles Inn easily had the distincition of being the worst ever. Problem 1 with the Charles Inn is that they turn off the heat and I assume air-conditioning in the off season, and not all rooms have individual heat/cooling controls (as advertised). So, if it's cooler or hotter than normal for that time of the year, you will suffer. We complained because it was too cold (temperature at night went down to 3 C), but were told its "policy" to turn off the heat on May 1. Problem 2: awful lounge lizard muzak constantly playing in the background. Exactly what you don't want to hear anytime of the day, especially first thing in the morning. when you ask them to turn the music down or off, the manager's excuse for playing the awful music - its policy. And, problem 3: attitude of the managers is deplorable. But, on a positive note, many of the staff are great, but they have to work under these idiotic managers. Food is good, if you're mood isn't spoiled by the inn.

• Disliked — Poor attitude of the managers
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank travelledtoomuch
Toronto, owner at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2008
Although The Charles Inn does have individual heating and air conditioning in each room, there recently was a problem with the system and some in-room thermostats were not operating properly. To correct this problem, an entire new heating and air conditioning system with new thermostats was installed in the Charles last week and should be completed in the next few days. We are very sorry for any discomfort that this problem caused.

Wyandotte, Michigan
Reviewed April 17, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Charles Inn on April 5, 2008. I planned the trip as a surprise for his birthday and I am so pleased with our experience from beginning to end. Gail, the innkeeper, was there to greet us upon our arrival and immediately took us to our room (The Verandah Room). The room and view were breath taking and there were many personal touches that made it extra special. The bed was so inviting piled high with pillows and luxurious linens and the bathroom too with its large jacuzzi tub, rain shower head and heated floors....like heaven! Our dining experience was truly the best ever. Our waiter was very personable and made us feel special as if we were friends and the food was excellent! They were so accommodating...we overslept and they accommodated us by serving us breakfast in our room for which we are grateful. Even by calling them for room service at the last minute they still served us with a smile and a beautiful setting right in front of the fireplace. I can't say enough about the wonderful experience we had. I strongly encourage anyone who is looking for a way to celebrate one of life's special moments to stay at The Charles Inn....it will remain a fond memory for both of us for years to come.

• Liked — The staff, atmosphere, luxurious accommodations, and food
  • Disliked — Everything was perfect!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2008

We booked a room at the Charles Inn for Easter week end. When we arrived, we found our room a bit too cold and they upgrade us to a nicer room with a fire place!

The breakfast was very good and we took a package including a diner. The diner was fantastic! We had Fresh foie gras and rabbit with tigger shrimp.

Very nice small hotel. We will go back!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EricMToronto
Toronto
Reviewed January 15, 2008

We spent a heavenly night at the Charles Inn this past weekend and found it to be a fabulous experience. This old inn has been completely renovated with such excellent taste and such attention to detail that we were transported back in time. Our room, with its fireplace, veranda and its antique furnishings was just beautiful and well in keeping with the period of the inn itself. The staff were so friendly, unpretentious and yet so professional that their service enhanced our every moment. Dinner in the beautiful dining room was a culinary delight and the intimate lounge was perfectly cozy for an after meal apertif. Bravo to the management and staff of the Charles for their dedication to a new high in quality, service and attention.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bigbrucieboy
london
Reviewed January 7, 2008

If you're looking for a romantic getaway with excellent food and outstanding service then the Charles Inn is a must!
We stayed in the Library room which was just fabulous with a gorgeous 4 poster bed, log fire and jacuzzi. There is even a hotel horse and carriage which will take you for a little jaunt around the town if you fancy it! It really couldn't be any more romantic!!!
Dinner in the stunning restaurant was amongst one of the best meals I've ever eaten and living in London and travelling extensively I've eaten some pretty good food in my time! Breakfast was scrumptious too with plenty of choice and the best French toast in the world!
The staff couldn't have been more helpful and the service at both dinner and breakfast was first class.
We also ate at the Oban around the corner which was also great food but for us, The Charles was the clear winner!
My only regret is that we didn't stay longer!

• Liked — Log fire in the room
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple