“Gelato was ok but it didn't compare to most of my Italian tastings.”

Il Gelato di Carlotta
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night
Description: A bar cafe type latteria that promises you gelato the way it was meant to be! We offer everything from gelato and sorbetto and specialty coffees such as cappuccino and espresso, to gelato cakes and gelato biscotto sandwiches, mini-cones and gelato on a stick. We use an an organic base imported from Italy and add to it reverse osmosis water, organic cream and milk, grape sugar (NOT white sugar), organic off-white raw cane sugar, locally grown fruits and more. We believe our product is more than 80% organic. Our suppliers in Italy use diverse fruits such as Alfonso Mangoes from Bombay, soft-flesh coconuts from Sri Lanka, to pistachios from Bronte, Sicily, and hazelnuts from Piemonte, Italy. Yes, we also offer gluten free cones and our sorbettos are dairy free.In the summer, we use Niagara grown peaces, apricots, plums, strawberry, etc. We also use other fresh fruits such as grapefruit, oranges, lemon, pineapple, avocado, watermelon, etc. For our sorbettos.
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Let's face it, for me, eating Gelato is a big part of touring Italy. I often eat it several times a day. I enjoyed my frozen treat from Il Gelato di Carlotta, but maybe my opinion of it was skewed because I wasn't in Italy.

There are newer reviews for Il Gelato di Carlotta

Reviewed October 18, 2013

During our recent stay in Niagara on the Lake, we really found a gem! We stopped at a wonderful little gelato shop called Il Gelato di Carlotta. It’s an adorable little gelato shop that brought back memories of Europe. The gelato flavors that they offered sounded wonderful and, let me assure you, they were as we sampled several. We spoke to the owner, Zuhair, and he kindly offered information about the unique ingredients that sets their gelato apart from any others. Although each flavor that we sampled was delicious, we decided on the most wonderful dark chocolate that you can imagine – like eating a creamy brownie and fudge all at once. We also ordered a di Carlotta flavor that was like a silky, lightly citrus vanilla custard. Yumm! I can honestly say that their gelato is the most delicious that I’ve ever tasted and we can’t wait to stop back again on our next visit to the Niagara area.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is what gelato should be. Intense flavors, briliant colors, and on top of that, lovely people. The chocolate with orange bits was worth a cross-country trip!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I love all gelati, but I have never, never had anything this great, including in Italy. The flavors are so pure that you can taste the fruits and nuts they came from. The sign says it is 100% organic flavors with no additives, but the sign is wrong, the one additive that seems to have made the cut is the love that goes into every flavor. Do not miss the pistachio, I can still taste it a week later, mmmm.
Don't miss this place. In fact if you are within a radius of 50 miles, make a special trip. Oh, just to make it clear: I don't work their. I don't live in Niagara-on-the-Lake. I will, howver, being going back. I need some more of that pistachio gelato.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Happy people behind the counters; and the head gelati maker, like the equipment imported from Italia, also came out to chat with us. Samples readily provided of the interesting, even unusual, flavors of gelati. Delicious pastries and main-course items, to eat in or take out. And getting a discount because we were staying at the B&B La Toscana di Carlotta, owned by the same couple, made it seem just slightly more special. Reviewed by P&K