“Extremely disappointed ”

Half-Day Beer Cider and Wine Tour
Ranked #13 of 35 Tours in Niagara-on-the-Lake
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Welcome, come on in to Small Talk, where the distance between what you think and what you say is celebrated. Located on a quiet country road, away from the hustle and bustle of city living, we offer genuine hospitality, like good neighbours do. If you ask, you can borrow a cup of sugar, no problem. Ours is a fun winery, no pretenses allowed (well, if you insist, but not from our end). Look for the coloured barrels located around the property.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit within two years. The first visit did not leave me with a good impression. It was a Sunday afternoon in the late fall and I needed a few bottles of wine for dinner. Having tasted this brand before I was happy to stop by for a few purchases. As I entered the store there was only one staff member working. She was in her late 40's. I was greeted with a hello but nothing else. I walked around the store for 10 minutes and not once was asked if I'd like to taste or if I need any help. As I was in a rush I grabbed a few bottles and left. Today I spent the afternoon touring around Niagara on the lake with my friend. She was interested in visiting Small Talk Vineyards as the new branding was very enticing. There was only one other car in the lot when we arrived and the retail store was empty except for a middle aged women sitting by the cash on the computer. She greeted us then went back to whatever she was doing on the computer. Again, I was in the store, walking around without any offer to taste wines or help. And then after a few more minutes the women walked into the back and disappeared. We did not see her again. We left immediately after, both completely shocked at the lack of customer service. As a Niagara local, and employee of a winery in the area I am shocked at this display of poor customer service. It's clear to me that the new brand says nothing about the Winery. I will not return nor recommend this Winery to anyone.

2  Thank Alicia T

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Had the pleasure of stopping here during a wine tour with my cousin. The building and tasting room were unique. Live music out on the patio was up beat and entertaining. Had the pleasure to speak with the vintner, Hank who gave us a truly unique tasting experience. The soon to be bottled Faux Pas straight out of the barrel then tried it again with a little sugar added....couldn't believe the difference. For a couple of newbies to wine tasting this was really cool. The label/branding is really different and the wine was delicious. Hope the case I bought will last until I get back.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was very disappointed in my recent visit to Small Talk on August 24th. I had written on their Facebook asking for information about tours, when I was told "the tour is at 1:30, you don't need to call, I will save a spot for you." We arrived a little before 1:20 and was told their was a private group tour at 1:30 and no reservations had been made in our name. The woman who dealt with us (mid length blond hair, around her 40's) was very rude about the situation blaming this on other staff instead of trying to fix the situation. We decided to leave, and were surprised when there was a tractor parked in front of our car and we were blocked in from leaving. My fiance went back into the winery to tell them about this situation and the woman just shrugged, said they would move the tractor when the tour started, and walked away. This visit was the worst display of customer service we experienced in our entire visit to 10+ wineries. I was excited as I thought their branding was very fresh, but I left empty handed and will not return, nor recommend this winery to anyone in the future.

2  Thank Elizabeth T
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This winery is a marketing-focussed rebranding of the old Stonechurch winery. Big bold colours. Their wine labels are a hoot. The server talked about how customers could contribute to future wine labels but I could not find that on the website. Tastings are $1 for 1/2 ounce, $1 for one ounce, and $6 for a glass.