“Nice little place- cozy but it works”

Toronto
“Nice little place- cozy but it works”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We had a lovely overnight stay at Harbour House. The room is quite cozy but it was comfortable. We had what they call a 'harbour view' room and you could see the boats and some water, but it should be made clear to people that the location isn't really set-up to overlook the harbour, it is a small view only.

There was some damage on the walls and ceiling of the room (which, to be honest, was a bit of a surprise to see) but overall the room was nice.

The breakfast is really lovely, so make sure you enjoy that. Note: They only serve until 10am. Also important to note is that there is no restaurant on site.

The free parking and wifi is helpful and the staff were very nice.

3 Thank LBTravelReviews
Larissa C, General Manager at Harbour House Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your candid review of The Harbour House, I am happy you enjoyed your stay overall. Our rooms range in view, and I am sorry that you found the view from your room limited. I am surprised at the damage you found on the walls and ceiling of your room as we do routine inspections of all rooms and any necessary repairs are completed as quickly as possible. We will be sure to do a thorough walk-through to find any issues we may have missed. I am glad you took advantage of our fabulous breakfast, and while we do not have a restaurant on site, we partner with two of Niagara’s top restaurants and also offer complimentary evening shuttle service anywhere in town. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff, we have a great team who truly set us apart. We do hope you will return and I would love to look after the details of your stay personally, please feel free to contact me directly at lchunick@harbourhousehotel.ca.

Harbour House Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel was beautiful, the location was very convenient and the staff were marvelous. They went above and beyond and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. My wife had a spa session booked off site and we mistakenly thought the shutle was available all day. It was in fact only for the evening after 6 or 7 pm. When I mentioned that she would likely take a cab, the girl at the front desk said she would drive her over. It was not far but otherwise would have resulted in a late arrival. Thanks to her and the rest of the staff and owners. Well done.

Deborah and Grant

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled to hear that you found our team to be marvelous in the service they provided. Our shuttle service runs from 4 pm until 11 pm 7 days a week and in that time we are happy to drive anywhere in “old town” Niagara-on-the-Lake. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to our team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our Harbour House on your return visit.

NY/Westport/Provence
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This charming place is a cross between a very small luxe boutique hotel, upscale B&B and a comfy inn. It has all these elements. What it lacks in amenities such as pool, fitness or public space, it makes up 100% in being truly cared for in a very 'hands on and personalized' fashion with so many extras that would never be found in most places for the weary traveler to lay their head. First…I was worried that the standard rooms , which are the only that are 'Dog Friendly' were going to give me a sense that i was missing out on the extras in the more superior rooms. Oh what we do for our four foot family members :) I was assured on the phone that the room was going to still be to my liking but basically without the view and a 'scotch' smaller. They were right. The three of us, my partner,Cara (our Golden) and myself loved the space and found it as delightful as the rest of the hotel. My goodness. More of a fuss was made over Cara then at any hotel she has stayed (and this Golden has been around!). She had a welcome note and a bag of very nice treats and…..toys and a big comfy bed in the room waiting for her. We got two cookies!
I am joking….the cookies were homemade and delicious and we got a welcome note as well. The room still had a partial view of the lake and the beautiful bed and soft colors of yellow and white throughout the room along with well appointed furnishings and a huge flat-screen TV left us very happy. The bed was as comfy as they get and the bathroom….like staying at a 5* luxe hotel in Manhattan at $1000 a night. It was that big and beautiful and again…filled with amenities. The staff was very attentive to all our needs including getting us into town on time for dinner and then the theatre and picking us up. This is necessary as the town is hard when it comes to parking because it is the home of the 'George Bernard Shaw Festival' and the cute town is a destination onto itself. All was happily arranged by the lovely young ladies who run the front desk of the hotel.
The wine and cheese from 4ish to 530 was something we just made the last 15 minutes of and I wished we had arrived sooner. But we had time to have two glazes of Pinot Gris and a cracker or two but no time to socialize with the other guests. As if it couldn't get better…I had no idea what we were in store for at breakfast. Not a breakfast found in a huge 5* hotel nor at a B&B nor an Inn. Maybe a luxurious homemade breakfast in a lovely setting? The choices were amazing and all made 'on premise'. I ate like a 'gourmand' and I will be at the gym for a week because i kept going back for more. Multi-grain bagels with smoked salmon and all the accoutrements , yogurt , cereals, breads, teas and coffee and fresh OJ but….here are the special extras…a special dish that morning that was a cross between a quiche and a gourmet unique breakfast casserole. Made with fresh eggs, cheese, bits of ham and too many other rings to remember and baked until it was golden brown. Sinful and absolutely delicious. Perfect for vacation. Homemade sweet breads and outrageous scones and preserves made 'on premise' as well as little slices of breakfast pastries that were out of this world. Maybe it was just that everything was what I love but I honestly finished two servings of the breakfast quiche, bagels with cream cheese and salmon and capers and tomato, fresh fruit, yogurt and…a scone with homemade preserves and a taste of one of the small pastries. !!! When I told the young ladies at the front desk they just laughed and said "Enjoy it is your vacation" as I lamented about al the extra exercise to be done.
What a lovely way to end our 5 days in Toronto and Ontario by staying at this unique gem.

4 Thank LeTerrible
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Everything mentioned in other reviews is true: the rooms are beautiful, spacious, clean and the beds are amazingly comfortable. I just wanted to commend the team at the Harbour House for their exceptional customer service. We had originally booked 2 x two night packages with a wine tour but due to an unforeseen circumstance, we had to cut our trip short on very short notice (24h prior to arrival). I called the hotel and they were able to change our reservations yet accommodate some parts of the package regardless. We really appreciated their timely efforts to make our trip possible! The additional services provided by the hotel, including the drive to local restaurants, were greatly appreciated. The delicious peanut butter cookies didn't hurt either ;)

I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a wonderful oasis in NOTL!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Samantha H
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are sorry to hear that you did have to change your date of departure but thrilled to hear that you found our staff to be accommodating and helpful in modifying your package. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to our team for their exceptional service, allowing you to still enjoy the amenities included in your stay. I look forward to saying hello to you on your return visit to our Harbour House in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

NY
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed at the Harbour House 6/20-6/22. We did the Laura Secord hike (I did half, he did all of it). Aside from the clean, very lovely and extremely comfortable room, we had exceptional service. But this is typical for the Harbour House. They set up massage appointments for us and helped me with directions. I had to find where to pick up my partner somewhere in St. Catherines and had no idea how to get there. I even googled it myself. The staff spent time searching the best route to get me there as there was no specific address! They were patient with me even though I was having a mini-meltdown and, happily, it all turned out well. Always willing to help, always courteous and friendly. The rooms may be lovely and luxurious but the staff make it welcoming and homey. They really keep us coming back!

Room Tip: I don't think we have ever had a 'bad' room. Even the smallest room is well appointed an...
2 Thank TraveleroutofNY
Reviewed June 19, 2014

This is our second stay at this excellent Bed & Breakfast. All staff members are extremely efficient and make you feel welcome from the moment you step through the door. The quality of everything in the hotel is superb. We celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary while staying here and were treated to a surprise bottle of fine wine in our room along with a heartfelt congratulatory note from the staff. We have only the highest praises about Harbour House Hotel and thank them for our wonderful 3 days in Niagara-on-the-Lake. We will return!
Jim & Sue

4 Thank sjj216
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled to hear that your anniversary was so enjoyable and that our team was extremely efficient and made you feel welcome from the moment you arrived at our boutique hotel. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to our team for their efforts in making your 38th Anniversary celebration that much more enjoyable. I look forward to saying hello to you on your return visit to our Harbour House on your next trip to Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Although we had a confirmed reservation, apparently there was a mixup and the Harbour House was full when we arrived. Needless to say we were upset. Jennifer worked very hard to find us an alternative at their sister property, but the style was very modern and sleek, while Harbour House was traditional which we preferred. So we returned to Harbour House to figure out our alternatives before we had to go to the theatre that afternoon. Jennifer brought us a cup of tea while we checked the Internet. Meanwhile she continued doggedly to try to resolve the problem to our satisfaction and, before we left for the theatre, she managed to find us a room at the Harbour House after all. We returned from a delightful theatre afternoon to a beautiful room with a nice bottle of wine, a credit certificate toward dinner at either of their sister hotels and a charming note of apology. So, that evening, Bruce (another of their excellent employees) drove us to the Charles Inn for dinner and picked us up afterward. As a result we didn't have to worry about parking (or drinking) and were able to enjoy a delicious dinner and our certificate as well.

We very much appreciated Jennifer's efforts to correct a problem that we had not created and her follow through to resolve the issue to our satisfaction. That is the essence of excellent customer service and made our stay at the charming Harbour House very memorable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends