“Typical and a very British Pub to the core!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Olde Angel Inn Hotel and Restaurant
Wales, UK
Reviewed February 7, 2005

I know there will be alot of people that will review the hotel hospitality of this establishment and I cannot comment as I didn't stay overnight. Nor did I eat the food! So why write the review?! Well if you are a Brit and thinking of looking for a piece of home from home, then this place is just like your local. The furniture, beer and the previously described gossipy staff, its all here, the authentic British pub! You have to be realistic, if you are looking for 'fast' New York, or Toronto Business Suite sophistication, this is not the place. This pub offers friendly and polite service with good ale, just what a British guy is looking for as a respite from the endless theme bars, or the Irish pubs throughout Canada and the States. A good old piece of sanctity, forever British and true to its own, even a darts board! Well done on authenticity! It's welcoming and charming and a great stop off while touring Niagara and its beautiful surroundings.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Olde Angel Inn Hotel and Restaurant

manchester U.K.[BLIGHTY]
Reviewed September 19, 2004

We recently married in canada and we held an impromptu wedding reception at the angel inn.the staff were fantastic [especially with our young daughters] and did sterling work.they dressed the room and tables and provided food fit for kings.the staff at the angel inn are curtious and thoughtful and reflect the very character of niagara on the lake.we are returning next may to stay with them, and cannot wait. p.s. the beer is great too!!!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 7, 2004

I stayed at the Angel Inn recently, as I thought it would be a fun place to stay. It may be a lively place to have a drink after the theatre, but I can't recommend it as a place to stay, unless you don't have expectations. It wasn't the best value considering what they charged. It lacked amenities (no phone in the room, the TV reception was terrible, no shampoo). When they say that the live music in the pub can be heard in the rooms, they weren't kidding. I understand that it is a historic building and that affects modern comforts but what really surprised me was the staff. Most were young women who just seemed to be complaining or gossiping everytime I went by the desk. Nor were they especially helpful to me. Perhaps they are too busy managing the pub and the cottages to really take care of their guests, in which case they should reconsider having guest rooms. Regardless, I found their behavior unprofessional. I tried to enjoy my stay in spite of the Angel Inn. I wouldn't stay there again.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2004

We've been visiting the Niagara Falls/Niagara-on- the Lake area consistently for several years now, always stopping in at the Angel Inn for a pint or two and some "pub grub". We had often discussed actually staying there in one of their guest rooms (usually stay in Niagara Falls and bike in; did stay down the street at the Moffat Inn once). However, over the years, we've noticed a bit of a decline in the quality of the food, the service and the basic feel of tavern hospitality. On a visit back in the Fall, our lunch meal was mediocre at best. On our most recent visit, my husband ordered a pint while sitting at the bar, waiting for me to do a little shopping. When I arrived, we decided not to eat lunch there and he settled the bill. One draft pint of their house brew was almost seven dollars. Canadian dollars, yes....taxes, yes...but still! It is a landmark establishment, recommend you try it once just to get the feel of an old tavern but it's no longer a tradition for us. If you dine there, try the chicken and peach pie; has been acceptable in the past. The french onion soup is good but avoid the rueben- open faced, very dry.

3  Thank pawpaw
hamilton, ontario
Reviewed February 10, 2004

On February 10 early evening my partner and I were heading back from a trip to Niagara Falls. We took a detour through Niagara on the Lake and a veil of freshly fallen snow. Through the black and white of the cold winters night we were warmed by the glow of lights from various buildings along the way. The lights from the Angel Inn looked particularly inviting so we ventured in out of the cold for a bite to eat. I ordered beef vegetable soup which upon arrival looked black as the night Niagara river. I dipped my spoon in only to retrieve 3 clumps of ground beef, along with a piece of mushy carrot and what looked like grey matter resembling cauliflower. Needless to say, not one morsel of it entered my mouth. When I told our server (a large man dressed in shorts) he seemed unconcerned and offered no apology or alternative.
Furthermore, the atmosphere seemed cool and the fireplace was out of order. We were revieved to get back into our car and warm up! Still cold re Angel Inn experience. Josephine Taylor (905)540-4855

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Waterloo, ON, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2003

Stayed at the Angel in mid-winter and loved it. Don't go expecting the five-star spa/hotel treatment but if you like historic inns and the feeling that you've somehow fallen in to the early 1800's, the Angel is your place. You can hear the pub noise creeping up through the floors into your cozy room, inviting you to wander down and chat with both visitors and "regulars" at the taps. Kick back in your jeans and sweaters and argue about the hockey score -- or wander outside into the snow falling quietly on the village streets. Dress up and blow your paycheque on dinner down the street at Prince of Wales but, otherwise, cozy up at the Angel (in your room or in the pub or restaurant) and relax.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 25, 2003

We had the chicken and peach pie. It was fabulous! Lots of beer on tap served nice and cold. Waitress was very friendly and helpful.

3  Thank VegasTravelfan