Review Highlights
Servers were great...manager not so much

Reviewed August 18, 2018

from $257.00
from $110.58
from $59.47
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

I chose Royal Niagara Golf Club because I went to a fabulous wedding in 2017 here. My sister asked me to plan her entire wedding and I couldn't help but think what an amazing time I had here at my cousin in-laws wedding. My sister's wedding was last night and I couldn't be more thrilled with not only the venue but the staff. I could go on and on how incredible the staff is here! The food was on point, they catered to all dietary needs vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, extreme allergies etc. The hall in which the reception was held is all windows and the panoramic view of the golf course/ night life is breathtaking. I would totally recommend Royal Niagara Golf Club! We couldn't be happier - thank you guys very much!

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed August 18, 2018

Server Hailey was amazing. She has great customer service and always has a smile on her face. I felt very bad for her when her what seemed like a boss yelled at the servers and staff. They were doing a great job while he was sitting doing nothing but yelling at them. He obviously doesn't understand how to be a manger. She had to move heavy tables all by herself. Very poorly managed by the man.

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank anonymousS9613BI
Reviewed May 23, 2018

Usually the Kaneff courses are in good shape overall and well maintained. I'm not sure what's going on but RN is a mess. Huge potholes in the cartpaths, inadequate drainage, grass growing in bunkers, half of the hole maps have been erased, the yardage on the other maps doesn't correlate to the yardage markers in the tee box, and some of those yardage markers are badly overgrown. Plus the greens suffered over the winter and have not yet recovered. And there is a general lack of overall maintenance. Inside, there are marketing signs on the wall, advertising events from last fall. Whoever is in charge clearly isn't.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed December 14, 2017

We are very excited to have our daughter's wedding at the Royal Niagara Golf Club. To date we have experienced exceptional service by Micheal Fox, the Chef/Food and Beverage Manager. He has been available and more than accommodating. The quality and value of the food and the venue are worth your consideration. The venue is elegant and intimate. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained and a special place to have your ceremony.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed September 14, 2017

It's rare for me to visit a golf course when it first opens, then return 15 years later as I did to Royal Niagara Golf Course. This gem of a course is located in Niagara on the Lakes, Ontario. Royal Niagara has matured, it's stunningly beautiful, demands respect, and its fiery side creates unwanted drama for many golfers. My golfing skills have greatly improved since my last visit, but Royal Niagara has also dramatically improved. When I first played Royal Niagara it was a diamond in the rough, now it's a highly polished gem, worthy to be captured for golfing glory and pride.
     Royal Niagara makes a bold statement with the addition of the Old Canal Course. I had the pleasure of playing this course under near perfect conditions; partly cloudy skies, 80 degrees, no rain, and mild wind conditions. The day before I played the course I picked up a course guide booklet, which I read! This gave me a slight familiarity with the course and assisted in my course management plan. When I stepped onto the first tee of this Links-style course, I was mentally ready and in my comfort zone.  The course has 5 sets of tees for all skill sets; I played the Blue tees with a slope rating of 71.5/ 137 at 6442 yards, verses 75.0/ 143 from the Black (championship) tees at 6970 yards. Looking down range on the first tee, I noticed a creek that ran diagonally the full length of the fairway. Rather than pulling out the driver on this 363, par 4, I chose my 2 hybrid to start my round. Hitting the fairway and having a 133 yard shot into the green, is a nice start. Hitting the green, 2 putting for par, says the game plan is working.
     After parring the first 3 holes I'm glad that I took the time to study the course guide and stuck to the game plan. Hole 4, a par 4 dog leg left, offers excitement for good players, perhaps a different kind of excitement (drama) for those with questionable skills, and forced me to tweak my game plan. A tee shot here must be straight and long, preferably on the far side of the fairway and inside the 150 marker. The approach shot into the green justifies a long hard look. What you will see is a large pond in front and to the right of the green, and three large sand traps between the pond and the green. Left of the green is thick rough, small hills and trees. In back of the green is a steep slope with deep thick grass. The green itself is quite wide, but not deep and it's two tiered. What you don't see or fail to notice is the green slopes from back to front, and away from you, the second tier is on the far right, there is thick rough behind the sand traps and finally the green is relatively fast with subtle breaks. The view is pretty intimidating but if you are wearing your big boy pants, you can step up and nail the green. No problem.
     At the end of the day I shot 38 on the Old Canal Course and 41 on the Iron Bridge Course. I found the courses to be architecturally destinctive and aesthetically delightful,  very challenging but not overwhelming. My favorite holes were #3, #6, and #9 on the Old Canal Course. To fully appreciate the days' golfing experience a must stop for me was the Grille. I ordered the Chef's special (Cowboy Steak), a glass of their Argentina Malbec Red Wine, and watched the Sunset while looking over the Old Canal Course. What a beautiful memory. I recommend Royal Niagara for all golfers to experience.

Date of experience: August 2017