“Excellent Stay at this B&B”

John's Gate Gourmet Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I booked 2 rooms for myself and 3 sisters. Even before arrival the owner was helpful providing us with very much appreciated directions on how to get from the Toronto airport to the B&B. The place was scrupously clean, had all the amenities, was delightful to look at and a nice place to be after a day of touring or a night at the Shaw Festival. Breakfasts were incredible - generally 3 courses starting with a fruit dish, then a main course. If you are a bacon, eggs and toast kind of person you may want to go elsewhere, but if you enjoy a variety of foods, excellently prepared, you will be delighted with the breakfasts and the rooms.

Always available in the dining/sitting room were coffee, tea, water and juice. TVs were in the rooms as well as in the sitting room. We visited in May and it wasn't warm enough to sit our and enjoy the lovely covered porch, but we do want to go back just to lounge around and read a book or sip a glass of wine on the porch after a day of activiites.

You can walk down to the main streets of town, but it is a fairly long walk that I would do if I were going for the exercise, but not if I were going out to dinner or a play in the evening. Most people who visit this area have a car anyway, as I did, otherwise you are stuck hiring tours simply to see the beautiful countryside.

• Stayed: May 2010

Reviewed May 9, 2010

I did not think to post a review of my stay 1.5 years ago but am looking for a B&B in N-o-t-L and thought I would look up John's Gate to see recent reviews. I was surprised to find the outstanding reviews because my friend's and my experience was not overly enjoyable. While the rooms were clean and there was good service, we found the owner to be overbearing. We too heard her life's story over breakfast when she talked about herself for 1.5 hours. It was difficult to excuse ourselves but we finally managed to. When she asked what wineries we would be visiting and where we would be dining, she was extremely pushy in trying to influence where we went and wanted to give us coupons. But the breaking point was when we started 'bashing' other B&B's and talked on and on about how competitive the market was in N-o-t-Lake. We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank JMJ-Ottawa
Reviewed May 1, 2010

We spent two days at the John's Gate BB. My girlfriend and I highly recommend this place. The house is beautiful, quiet and conveniently located. The rooms are very clean. The main positive thing about this place is its owner who is an exceptional woman, generous and the perfect host. She is very kind and help you find whatever you are looking for in the neighborhood. The price is very honest. When I will return to Niagara-on-the-Lake, John's Gate is definitely where I'm going to stay !

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2010

My husband and I just came back from a long weekend at John's Gate and we couldn't have enjoyed our time there more! We were celebrating our One year wedding anniversary and we were truly treated like royalty. We had such a lovely experience at John's Gate B&B. The food was amazing, every morning there was a delicious breakfast awaiting us, and we couldn't have had a more accomodating hostess, taking in to account both my husbands and my personal food restrictions. My husband works in a gourmet resturant in NYC was blown away with the quality and presentations of our breakfasts each morning. We thought everything was absolutely delicious. The room we stayed in was just beautiful, and completely comfortable. The entire house was just lovely - so relaxing and beautiful. I also appreciated the cleanliness of the common areas and the entry way, we didn't mind one bit having to take our shoes off - it was rainy and wet outside, why on earth would anyone want to trapes dirt and mud into someone else's house. I have never written a review be it positive, or negative before on this site, however I was compelled to after reading the "rules.." one. I couldn't disagree more with what was said - we found our experience to be the complete opposite. We had a wonderful easy going time at John's Gate - we enjoyed every aspect of our vacation, and would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Note: I strongly suspect that many of the excellent reviews have been placed on the site by the owner. I stayed at this bed & breakfast on a solo vacation and could not have been made to feel more unwelcome. The building is of modern construction, so if you are expecting period charm, this is not a good choice. The owner is a cleanliness fanatic who maintains the inn with no staff; the first thing you must do upon entering the house is to remove your shoes and leave them at the bottom of the stairs. I never felt welcome, espcially if I returned to the house during the day; normally the owner was there and she is NOT a warm and welcoming personality. Breakfast was varied, but usually overly elaborate and not to everyone's taste. The first morning the owner joined us and we were treated to a lengthy account of her life story. I suspect this is repeated daily with every new guest; don't know because I had breakfast out after that. Niagara on the Lake is wonderful and I will return, but I will NEVER stay at John's Gate again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
11  Thank Siobhan23
Reviewed March 29, 2010

John's Gate is an elegant bed and breakfast experience located just the right distance from the main attractions and with a delightful hostess, Meheroo. The rooms are clean, well-maintained and nicely decorated, and breakfast was delicious! We will definitely go back to John's Gate.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2009

Once again we enjoyed our stay at John's Bed and Breakfast. Our host Meheroo went out of her way to make us feel welcomed and comfortable. We experienced a superior breakfast both mornings and enjoyed interacting with other guests and our host. It was a pleasure to spend the weekend in this lovely Bed and Breakfast. We also feel that it was very reasonably priced considering the quality of the accommodations, breakfasts and wine tasting perks.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends