“A hidden gem in Niagara on the Lake”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Shaw Club Hotel

Shaw Club Hotel
Creemore
“A hidden gem in Niagara on the Lake”
Reviewed May 22, 2010

This is the only place I stay in NOTL. I love small boutique hotels and this one fits the bill with its crisp, clean, modern decor. The staff are friendly and accommodating, arranging a gratis ride, in the hotels van, to a local restaurant, and then picking us up when our dinner was finished. No one had to worry about being the DD. The location is fantastic, with the Shaw Festival theater across the road, and downtown shopping close by. We enjoyed pre theater lunch, and a great breakfast(included in the room rate) at Zees, the restaurant in the same building as the hotel. Rooms aren't huge, but who spends a lot of time in the room? They are well laid out to give maximum use of the space. The bathrooms are very spacious. I always recommend this hotel to friends, and look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2010

The staff at this hotel was extremely friendly, helpful and courteous. The room was tasteful, clean and modern.

Minneapolis
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Situated a block from the hustle and bustle of the main street, yet convenient to everything (Shaw Festival is directly across the street), this delightful and charming hotel has it all…

From the time we checked in until we left, the staff was friendly, courteous and professional. The amenities in the hotel are superb! The main floor sitting room is inviting with comfy chairs/sofas, games, and coffee – a great place to read a newspaper or book or play a board game. It also includes a good assortment of free DVDs and CDs.

Our room was outfitted with all the amenities that one would expect in a luxury hotel; large-screen TV, desk for computer with wireless Internet, bar fridge, wine glasses, coffee maker, robes and two comfortable chairs. The bathroom even had a TV with separate controls from the TV in the bedroom! The large shower was a combination rain/hand-held. The bed - oh, so comfortable - and linens were top quality. The room was very quiet - we did not hear any outside noises, even though I am a light sleeper.

Zees, the dining room, bar and outside patio, is very charming with eclectic touches (check out the ceiling sculptures/light fixtures). The continental breakfast, which was included in the room rate, reflected the high standards of the Inn – Greek yogurt topped with granola, a large bowl of fresh fruit for topping, cheese with chutney, flaky croissants – all served by a smiling and attentive server. At night, the mood is transformed with candles and lighting to an intimate setting with a wonderful selection of foods and wines.

It was a memorable and enjoyable stay and I will be sure to recommend it to friends for a romantic getaway.

Toronto, ON
Reviewed May 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Shaw Club in Feb. 2008 to celebrate his birthday. I booked the hotel because we enjoy staying in contemporary-styled hotels and at the time there weren't many to choose from in the area, and trip advisor reviews were good. I told the hotel it was his birthday and we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived to find a 'birthday cake in a cup' in our room along with a rose in a vase and some chocolates. The room was nice - we booked the Superior King room - but small. The bathroom was very nice and I enjoyed the cool bathtub. We also used the spa while we were there, which I would say is average but again pretty small. It is not connected directly to the hotel which is not what I expected. We ate at their restaurant, which is not as 'high end' as I would expect based on the marketing, but overall wasn't bad.

Overall though the problem with this hotel aside from the small rooms is the noise. We stayed from Thursday night through to Sunday and on the first night we didn't hear much noise as the hotel was mostly empty. On Friday and Saturday though the hotel was full and from about 6:30 AM until 10:30 AM on Saturday and Sunday all we could hear in our room as we were trying to sleep was doors slamming in the hallway. I think this is because you can't smoke in the hotel, so people were getting up and going out to smoke (as well as getting up and out for breakfast, etc.). Just to put this in perspective - our room was at the end of the hallway, we sleep with a noise machine that makes white noise to drown out random sounds, AND I sleep with earplugs and a sleep mask and I was still awakened by every single banging door. The same thing happened from about 5 PM until about 8 PM, and then you would still hear random doors banging closed up until 12:00 AM as people came in for the night. When we departed on Sunday we complained about this to the staff and they acted like this was the first time anyone had ever complained about this. As we were checking out, you could hear the doors banging shut from the front desk (the hotel is relatively small) and we asked them if they could hear that sound.

In any event, I think that this hotel would be a lot better if they invested in some better soundproofing (maybe just the doors themselves could be soundproofed) and some door closers that didn't allow the doors to just bang shut.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto, ON
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I struggled to find a hotel in Niagara-on-the-Lake that didn't ooze country-home cheese, and Shaw Club fit the bill perfectly. No doilies or flowery bedspreads here, just an immaculate room with an incredibly comfortable bed, luxurious bathroom, flat-screen TV and a dozen other perfect little touches. The staff was friendly and helpful without being in any way overbearing. The breakfast (upgrade -- it's worth it!) was fantastic. My wife didn't even have a chance to try out the spa, nor did we attend any events across the street at the Shaw festival theatre, but if you're in town for either of those consider them huge pluses for this hotel. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in NotL.

Toronto
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I chose this hotel due to overwhelming positive reviews at Tripadvisor and a deal at Travelzoo. I took my bf there for his b-day in early april. The hotel and the delux room is beautiful and modern. The spa and Zee's Grill are all good. However, I discover that they have given us a dirty blanket (with dry blood stain) later at night. When we check out the next day, I've met with a rude staff.
I complain to the manager via email. She apologizes and tells me to call her, so she can give me a "discount". I never did call her. I don't think she is sincere and I am not impressed overall.
For complete detail, check out my blog:

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
shawclubGM, General Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2010
We do appreciate all feedback and thank you for your comments. I am very sorry that you did not feel our attempt to rectify the situation was acceptable as we take great pride in our customer service and satisfaction. I should note that we looked into the blanket that was removed from your room and found that the stain was not blood but an oil spot from a machine at our laundry service provider. Either way, it should not have been in your room and we are very sorry for any experience that was anything but perfect. We have built our reputation on the happiness of our guests and I assure you that we take the issues you have addressed here very seriously. Thank you again and we sincerely hope to be able to make it up to you in the future.

Ryan Murray
GM
Shaw Club Hotel and Spa
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Impressive room, delicious food at Zee's restaurant, courteous and efficient.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple