“Nice hotel if you don't mind noise”
Review of Shaw Club Hotel

Shaw Club Hotel
Reviewed May 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Shaw Club in Feb. 2008 to celebrate his birthday. I booked the hotel because we enjoy staying in contemporary-styled hotels and at the time there weren't many to choose from in the area, and trip advisor reviews were good. I told the hotel it was his birthday and we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived to find a 'birthday cake in a cup' in our room along with a rose in a vase and some chocolates. The room was nice - we booked the Superior King room - but small. The bathroom was very nice and I enjoyed the cool bathtub. We also used the spa while we were there, which I would say is average but again pretty small. It is not connected directly to the hotel which is not what I expected. We ate at their restaurant, which is not as 'high end' as I would expect based on the marketing, but overall wasn't bad.

Overall though the problem with this hotel aside from the small rooms is the noise. We stayed from Thursday night through to Sunday and on the first night we didn't hear much noise as the hotel was mostly empty. On Friday and Saturday though the hotel was full and from about 6:30 AM until 10:30 AM on Saturday and Sunday all we could hear in our room as we were trying to sleep was doors slamming in the hallway. I think this is because you can't smoke in the hotel, so people were getting up and going out to smoke (as well as getting up and out for breakfast, etc.). Just to put this in perspective - our room was at the end of the hallway, we sleep with a noise machine that makes white noise to drown out random sounds, AND I sleep with earplugs and a sleep mask and I was still awakened by every single banging door. The same thing happened from about 5 PM until about 8 PM, and then you would still hear random doors banging closed up until 12:00 AM as people came in for the night. When we departed on Sunday we complained about this to the staff and they acted like this was the first time anyone had ever complained about this. As we were checking out, you could hear the doors banging shut from the front desk (the hotel is relatively small) and we asked them if they could hear that sound.

In any event, I think that this hotel would be a lot better if they invested in some better soundproofing (maybe just the doors themselves could be soundproofed) and some door closers that didn't allow the doors to just bang shut.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shaw Club Hotel

Reviewed May 9, 2010

I struggled to find a hotel in Niagara-on-the-Lake that didn't ooze country-home cheese, and Shaw Club fit the bill perfectly. No doilies or flowery bedspreads here, just an immaculate room with an incredibly comfortable bed, luxurious bathroom, flat-screen TV and a dozen other perfect little touches. The staff was friendly and helpful without being in any way overbearing. The breakfast (upgrade -- it's worth it!) was fantastic. My wife didn't even have a chance to try out the spa, nor did we attend any events across the street at the Shaw festival theatre, but if you're in town for either of those consider them huge pluses for this hotel. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in NotL.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I chose this hotel due to overwhelming positive reviews at Tripadvisor and a deal at Travelzoo. I took my bf there for his b-day in early april. The hotel and the delux room is beautiful and modern. The spa and Zee's Grill are all good. However, I discover that they have given us a dirty blanket (with dry blood stain) later at night. When we check out the next day, I've met with a rude staff.
I complain to the manager via email. She apologizes and tells me to call her, so she can give me a "discount". I never did call her. I don't think she is sincere and I am not impressed overall.
For complete detail, check out my blog:

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
shawclubGM, General Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2010

We do appreciate all feedback and thank you for your comments. I am very sorry that you did not feel our attempt to rectify the situation was acceptable as we take great pride in our customer service and satisfaction. I should note that we looked into the blanket that was removed from your room and found that the stain was not blood but an oil spot from a machine at our laundry service provider. Either way, it should not have been in your room and we are very sorry for any experience that was anything but perfect. We have built our reputation on the happiness of our guests and I assure you that we take the issues you have addressed here very seriously. Thank you again and we sincerely hope to be able to make it up to you in the future.

Ryan Murray
GM
Shaw Club Hotel and Spa

Reviewed April 28, 2010

Impressive room, delicious food at Zee's restaurant, courteous and efficient.

Reviewed April 22, 2010

We only stayed at hotel for 1 evening but sampled their local restaurant twice which was excellent. Also had a 2 hour spa which was also very nice..Staff were friendly, rooms/hotel very clean and modern...Great amenities! Would certainly return..

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My fiance and I stayed here for our anniversary and it was an amazing experience. You cant beat the location! Its located right across the street from the Shaw Festival which was very convenient for us to go and watch a play and then walk around the quaint village afterwards. We loved the restaurant and the rooms were very modern and clean. The two ladies at the front desk,Diana and Theresa, were amazing and really treated us nice and made our experience a great one! We would love to go back again in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We are just back from a fabulous one night stay at the Shaw. It was a last minute trip from the suburbs of Toronto to NOTL. We wanted an incredible night out of town for some much needed rest and relaxation and we got it. Love that they offered a CAA/AAA rate. We were in the King Suite. Two separate rooms, one a comfy lounge with a huge L shaped sofa (big enough for both my hubby and I to stretch out ) and flat screen tv and DVD player and small bar area. The bedroom is a bit on the small side, but the huge king size bed makes up for it. It was divine. Another flat screen tv and dvd player. The bathroom has a great in-wall sliding door so it does not invade the bedroom space. The bathroom is a wonderful size with a large glass walled shower (easily fits 2) and a great two person jacuzzi tub. Also has a tv, which brings the TV count to 3. There is a private patio, but it is tiny and the chairs were iron and didn't really say "sit on me". We had a side-by-side couples massage at the spa which is not directly linked to the hotel, but still superb. It is a 20 step walk from the front door of the hotel to the spa just around the corner. They were wonderful. We had room service, and they had some great choices on the menu. Breakfast at Zee's was also good. We upgraded from the continental breakfast included with the room for a hot breakfast for an additional charge. The one disappointment of our stay was the rough shape the banquet seating was in at Zee's. For such a wonderful hotel and restaurant I was shocked to see ripped seating. Time for them to get them re-done. Overall it was a superb stay and we will definitely be back in the future.