“Excellent customer service”

Shaw Club Hotel
Guelph, Canada
“Excellent customer service”
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were celebrating our honeymoon during our two night stay. When we checked in the staff at the counter inquired about our stay and we informed them. The staff escorted us to our room and immediately returned with a bottle of wine to congratulate us on our wedding. I must say that the staff go out of there way to ensure that everyone there has the best time.

We will be returning to this great hotel for many years to come.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marc T
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Thank you for choosing Shaw Club Hotel & Spa to celebrate your honeymoon! I’m thrilled to hear we were able to make it extra special with a bottle of local wine. It is our job to ensure your stay with us is a memorable experience that will last for years. We hope to be able to help you celebrate many anniversaries in the future!

Lisa McDonald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Toronto
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Shaw Club is a boutique hotel that does all the little things right. Friendly and helpful front desk staff, well appointed rooms and an amazing shower! We also had a very nice breakfast too!

Our room was an upgraded room with a patio. The patio was small, but it was nice to be able to sit outside regardless.

We also used the spa, which was amazing as always!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the patio feature! It doesn’t get much better than enjoying a great glass of local wine on the patio. I will pass on your kind comments to the guest services and spa teams and look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!

Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Shaw Club was just what we were looking for for a romantic getaway at Niagara on the lake. The room was great with a fireplace and amazing shower. The location perfect for walking into town. It was a perfect quiet retreat. We would stay there again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we truly appreciate it. Our rain showers have become a favourite of our guests, I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed this luxury. We look forward to your next visit!

Ontario
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We visit the shaw club a few times each year and give a night away to our kids for a gift. This is a lovely boutique hotel with amazing staff who go above and beyond to make your stay wonderful.
We have stayed in several room types. The ideal for us is the deluxe king with sofa bed if we are staying a couple of nights because of the size. Regular rooms are small but lovely.
The deluxe annex rooms were offered in our last special deal--- the rooms are large and lovely but getting to them almost takes away the joy. The hallway up to the rooms is dingy and dirty and could be cleaned up with very little effort. A coat of paint works wonders along with elbow grease.
For the regular price and for the type of hotel-- management needs to fix this!! Staff can only do so much.
Great spot -- good bar and restaurant and lovely lobby library.
We will return.

Room Tip: Not sure I would ever ask for annex room again unless they clean up entrance. Because it is away fr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa, we truly appreciate it! We have taken note of your comments regarding the entrance to our annex building. We did paint that hallway and entrance at the start of this year but clearly, we need to look at doing it again. We look forward to taking care of these issues right away and to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel and Spa sometime soon!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

my husband and i stayed for 2 nights....the staff was very welcoming and friendly...we liked the personal touch of personalized welcome note. Our room had a jacuzzi and fireplace . I had a wine and honey facial at the spa ( the best facial ever!)

Room Tip: King Annex room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor! I’m thrilled you had such a memorable stay and took notice of all the little details that made your stay that much more enjoyable! I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the Shaw Spa team. I look forward to saying hello during your next visit!

Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the beautiful Shaw Club Hotel & Spa courtesy of a gift card romance overnight package. Everything was perfect, complete with thoughtful touches such as the welcome birthday gift dessert for my husband! It was a pleasant surprise as I had only mentioned it in passing during my phone conversation with the hotel booking clerk. She had unexpectedly and most kindly added a few nice touches to our room when we arrived. Speaking of our room (#114) it was absolutely lovely. Spotlessly clean, all amenities in good working order, and a huge bathroom with rainfall shower enclosed with glass shower doors. A beautiful experience after a long, hot day shopping and sightseeing in town. I wanted to stay in the shower forever as it felt so relaxing and wonderful like my own private spa with massage included.
The queen-size bed was utterly luxurious and comfortable, and the bedding divine. I only wish we had such comfort in our own bed at home since at home our English Springer Spaniel finds the best spot on our bed and stays there! But, speaking of dogs, I noticed that this hotel does offer a pet-friendly room, so those dog-lovers might be able to bring their beloved pooch with them provided their dog is well-behaved and under-control at all times.
We had a fantastic dinner at Zee's Grill which was a short walk down the hall from our hotel room. It's connected to the Shaw Club Hotel so if it's inclement weather you won't even need to bring an umbrella. How perfect is that! At dinner we sat at a table outside on the terrace/patio which provided us with a good view of the theatre crowd strolling by as they admired the exquisite sculptured gardens surrounding the Shaw Club Hotel. Our meals were absolutely delicious. My husband ordered the lobster poutine as an appetizer which he described as "outstanding". Needless to say we had to do a lot of walking afterwards to work off those delectable calories we just gained, but it was well worth it. Even our breakfasts were delicious. I sampled the Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict with Avocado which was very tasty. Our waiters/waitresses were consistently friendly, polite, and helpful. Excellent service throughout our stay, including the front-desk staff who cheerfully greeted us upon our Sunday afternoon arrival to the restaurant staff who were not only efficient, but despite being very busy serving customers would nonetheless find time to answer my questions about the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake.
One final note is to thank whomever had the excellent idea of installing a tiny television monitor in the bathroom so that those of us who are FIFA World Cup soccer fans like my husband and I wouldn't miss any games! Thank you to whomever had that brilliant idea. Now, all I want to know is how can I convince my husband to install one of those tv's in our tiny bathroom?!

Room Tip: If you want a room on the ground floor, consider Room #114 which also has a walk-out patio. I think...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderfully detailed review. We truly appreciate it! I’m so happy to hear your getaway to celebrate your husband’s birthday was a success! Being a small, boutique hotel we strive to create a personal experiences each and every time and I’m thrilled to hear we accomplished this for you! The tv in the bathroom is a favourite of our guests, I’m glad it was one of the highlights of your stay! I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the food and beverage team, they will be thrilled to hear they had a hand in making your experience with us memorable. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had a most enjoyable 2-night stay here in an Annex King room. The Annex building is adjacent to the main hotel, and at first glance did not look promising; one accesses it from the parking lot (free for guests) through an industrial-quality door, and the stairwell and corridor had a downscale motel feel to them.

Happily, once inside the room things improved dramatically. While I didn't consider the furnishings to be luxurious, they were all tasteful and in good repair. The glass shower enclosure seemed new and boasted large rainfall and handheld shower heads. The king bed, though a bit firm, was comfortable. I think I would have had an even better sleep, however, had we been able to block the early-morning sunlight with curtains instead of the shutters with which our windows were equipped, with their many gaps.

The in-room jacuzzi tub was the reason for my selection of an Annex room, and I enjoyed watching the flatscreen TV while soaking. On that topic, Shaw Club has a small DVD library in the guest lounge (mostly recent Hollywood releases) for guests to watch in their rooms free of charge.

Note that there is no elevator in the Annex, unlike in the main hotel, a point that is clearly explained on the hotel's website.

The location is ideal, a short stroll from the centre of town so you don't feel like you're in a high-traffic area, yet right across from the Shaw Festival Theatre.

All the staff we interacted with were cheerful and helpful. We both appreciated the personalised welcome card and brownie in our room upon arrival.

My fiancée took advantage of their spa to have a 55-minute massage, which she described afterwards as the best she has ever had anywhere!

Do not pass up eating at their restaurant, Zees, which I have reviewed separately. Make a point to pre-pay for breakfasts there at booking or check-in to take advantage of a significant reduction in the price, just $11.95 per person, which still allows you to order à la carte.

With a 20% TA discount we paid an average of $295 per night, pre-tax. You can get a spiffier room for that amount in downtown Toronto, so when I was researching our stay I was surprised to discover big-city prices across the board for Niagara-on-the-Lake. I would have given 3 stars for value, but compared to other upscale properties in the town, Shaw Club actually offers a competitive price.

Overall, I would highly recommend Shaw Club, and we would definitely stay there again on future trips to the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WMarkR
Thank you for sharing your experience with the world on Tripadvisor! It is a joy to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from dining at Zees Grill to soaking in the tub while catching up on your favorite show! I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team at Shaw Spa for the excellent treatments that they provided. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!