“Great Girls Getaway”

Shaw Club Hotel
Caledon, Canada
“Great Girls Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Each year my girlfriend & I escape our families and celebrate our birthdays in Niagara-on-the-Lake - always a different hotel. This year we chose The Shaw Club where we experienced great service. The receptionist answered all our questions, was friendly and made us feel welcome. She offered her assistance if we needed anything from the hotel or wanted information about the town and/or wineries.

Our reservations were correct and they were expecting us. Our room was well appointed with everything we needed. The bathroom was large with beautiful modern slate and glass shower, large mirrors and very clean. There was a large wall mounted television; however there was no capability to rent movies on the TV. There was a DVD player in the room and you could borrow DVD's from the selection in the library. There were approximately 150 to chose from but they were not the most recent. Ice machines were located on upper floors.

The breakfast selection was ample and well priced. I enjoyed the french toast with fresh blueberries and maple syrup, while my girlfriend relished eggs benedict with smoked salmon - both delicious. And if you want something decadent for an evening snack try their lobster poutine - it is large so it could be shared by two! The location of the hotel is well placed and easy walking to the heart of the quaint town. It is not a large hotel which is always a nice change. They have a spa which we did not take advantage of only due to limited time.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting NOTL. The room we had was small and not recommended if you are traveling with children. You may want to check with the hotel to see if they have larger rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you for choosing Shaw Club Hotel and Spa for your birthday celebration this year! It was a pleasure to welcome you to Shaw Club and we are delighted to hear that our team had a positive impact on your stay. Zee’s is always a must when visiting Niagara-on-the-Lake. Chef Jason Dobbie’s culinary team work tirelessly to provide exceptional local cuisine. Perhaps a spa treatment or two is in order for your next visit? We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Alliston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Bought a package from Travelzoo and so glad we did. What a lovely hotel with amazing staff that made us feel so welcome. The rooms are small, really small but cozy and they have crammed a lot of functional stuff into it. A small work desk, a comfortable chaise lounge, a big flat screen tv mounted on the wall out of the way, a closet with bathrobes, a mini fridge and a king size bed. There are lights all over the place so you can choose your mood. The bathroom was luxurious with a large walk in shower with rain shower and a hand held shower. There is even a small tv embedded in the mirror. Great for hockey playoffs! The bed was a little hard for my tastes but I slept well. There is a small office/lounge area at reception where you can get a tea or coffee 24 hours a day. There is also a coffee maker in the room if you so desire.
We had breakfast in Zees, included in the package deal. Had the most amazing Salmon and Avocado Eggs benedict served by the friendliest waitress.
I also appreciated the welcome note with Birthday greetings and little chocolate cake.
Really had a wonderful short stay and I would definitely come back. My only recommendation is that if you have allergies to dogs, you request a room on the second floor.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
I am thrilled that you had such a memorable stay and took notice of all the little details that made your stay that much more enjoyable! The hotel is designed to feel more like a private club than a hotel. No effort was spared in the decor and furnishings, carefully selected to exceed all expectations. We look forward to the opportunity of making many more celebrations special in the future!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Always perfect! Really. Brought my mom for a short overnight getaway. She LOVED it!! - as I thought she would. It's my go-to place in Niagara-on-the Lake. I recommend it to everyone. Friendly staff, fantastic customer service, excellent vibe, serene, relaxing, great attention to detail. The rooms are so peaceful and serene. Modern contemporary, very inviting. Nothing short of outstanding each and every visit. Anything you need - simply ask the front desk. Always friendly and ready to assist. Thank you! I will definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: The King deluxe rooms are fantastic and have more room overall. Rooms with a patio/terrace are a ni...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and share them on Tripadvisor. Every member of our team is trying to make a difference in the stay of our guests and reading comments like yours is very encouraging to all of us. Thank you for continuing to return to Shaw Club, I look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable experience soon!

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

This hotel is absolutely amazing! The front desk staff are so welcoming from the moment you step inside the facilities. My fiancé and I arrived slightly later then we expected too and we had arrived with hungry bellies, within 5 minutes of our arrival Vira from the front desk has secured us dinner reservations at the Shaw Club's wonderful restaurant, Zee's, and this was on a busy Friday evening. The room was so beautiful, with a balcony that looked out to the Shaw Festival builiding, a luxurious bathroom and an extremely comfortable bed. I would highly recommend staying at the Shaw Club if you are willing to spend a little bit extra to feel like royalty.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
It is a joy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy to hear your experience with Vira was memorable, she takes great pleasure in exceeding our guest’s expectations. Zee’s Grill is a local favourite, I’m so happy we were able to secure a reservation for you. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa for another royal escape!

Lisa McDonald,
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed at the Shaw club recently and from the moment I walked in, it was clear that this place was a cut above the rest. The front end staff, Vira specifically, was very warm, friendly and enthusiastic about having me arrive. She walked me to my room, gave me a tour of the room and wished me a pleasant stay. All of which was very high on the service levels. Usually, it's "Credit card please, here's your key". Great first impression.

My room had customized stationery with my name on it, and TWO thank you cards with my name on it. Very classy. The room was immaculate, the king bed VERY comfortable, the bathroom was spotless and overall, the room was one of the best I've every stayed in.

The overall experience was great, a clean room, fantastic customer service all contributed to a memorable stay.

If you're looking for a place to stay in NOTL, make sure Shaw is at the top of your list.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we truly appreciate it! Every day we strive to provide our guests with exceptional service and a great experience; it is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed our hotel. I’m thrilled to hear your welcome exceeded your expectations! Vira is a shining star and a crucial part of our guest services team. I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel and Spa soon!

Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

When I consider the totality of glowing accolades written about a property my expectations grow. Thus, my evaluation criteria are higher, than say that no tell motel kind of place.

Suffice to say we very much enjoyed our stay. Our welcome was above and beyond. Actually, it was a greeting, nearly to the degree of that given a long lost relative. After we checked in, the clerk escorted us to our room, briefly showing us switches and locations of coffee maker, iron and ironing board.

She showed us the bathroom, including the giant tub with lots of buttons and the two shower accruements. The glass walled/door shower leaked water onto the floor when we used the hand held device. After experimentation we discovered where and how to use the rain shower controls.

There were no instructions to explain the tub controls so we did not choose to use it out of fear of electrocution, flooding etc. (High tech for low tech guests). Oh yes, the bar of soap in the shower has nearly invisible plastic wrap. Try peeling it when it and your hands are wet.

The couch precluded accessing the window which we wanted to open. There was no switch to shut off the ventilation system which tends to dry out the air.

The per cup/tea/coffee/hot chocolate offering in the room off the lobby was top notch. Rather than a large reception lounge area, the space is broken up into several spaces including one with DVD for guest use and a gas fired fireplace. The window shade was torn. Bed was very comfy. Robes were comfy as well.

All of the hotel staff with whom we came into contact were outstanding. Command of information, problem solvers and friendly.

Room Tip: choice of rooms with deck or jacuzzi.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I will ensure we have instructions on how to use the shower and tub in our rooms as soon as possible. Thank you for letting us know, we want all our guests to enjoy all the luxuries of our rooms! We would have welcomed the opportunity to assist you in turning the air off in your room and/or opening the window. I’m absolutely thrilled you enjoyed everything from your warm welcome to the guest lounge and comfy robes. I am so happy to hear the guest services team exceeded your expectations, I will pass on your kind comments to the rest of the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!

Aurora, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

I could not resist writing a review of our stay at the Shaw Club! Having just returned from a wonderful weekend away I wanted to share that we were thrilled with the hotel. Our room, in the annex overlooking the main street was roomy and luxurious... The service we received from the front desk could not have been any better and our wonderful dinner and breakfast at Zees was divine! We will certainly return on our next stay! Thanks also for arranging our brilliant tickets to the Shaw Festivals' production of Cabaret it really is fantastic!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay here at Shaw Club Hotel & Spa. It is always a pleasure to take care of any arrangements our guests require! I look forward to saying hello during your next visit to beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake!