“Great location, GREAT concierge, good breakfast”
Review of Shaw Club Hotel

Shaw Club Hotel
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Shaw Club last summer -- our first visit to the Shaw Festival. You could not ask for a better location, combining easy access to all venues and the quiet of being a block or two from the center of town. The small rooms are well appointed and comfortable. Cooper Smith is a great source of information and service. Breakfast (ours was included) was excellent. We were disappointed in Zees for lunch and for dinner; pretentious and and prices were not justified. But NOTL and vicinity provide many food choices, ranging from simple to haute.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for choosing Shaw Club Hotel & Spa for your first visit to beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake. Cooper has been a wonderful addition to our team this year, I’m happy to hear that he was able to share his knowledge with you. I look forward to saying hello during your next visit!

There are newer reviews for Shaw Club Hotel

Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our second trip to the Shaw Club, and can't wait to plan our next trip back! The hotel is lovely, the rooms are very comfortable, Zee's is delicious, and the staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Lisa and Cooper (the concierge), were FANTASTIC! From winery referrals, restaurant suggestions, to tickets to the Shaw Festival; no request was too big or too small.
With so many options of wineries and restaurants, thanks to the help from the staff, we have our next trip already planned!!!

Room Tip: Were on the second floor, balcony, king bed, facing the Shaw Festival theatre. Will definitely book...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Peter & Indre,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we truly appreciate it! It was an absolute pleasure to take care of all of your needs during your stay in beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake. We look forward to assisting you with your next visit!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had a ladies’ weekend in NOTL recently and stayed at Shaw Club. Cooper was a fantastic help through my entire planning process, since I was gathering friends and family in various parts of Ontario and the US. Upon our arrival, the entire staff was friendly and helpful. The staff at the hotel’s restaurant, Zee’s Grill, were so attentive and personable, and all the food was fantastic at every meal. Outdoor dining on the wrap-around deck was a treat. Clear “walls” and ceiling heaters kept us cozy and dry, even though the weather was rainy and chilly. The Lobster Poutine on the lunch/dinner menu and real Canadian Peameal Back Bacon served with breakfast are not things easily found in the US, so I made sure to include those in my menu choices. Delish!

The hotel rooms were beautiful, with rain-style showerheads and an overall modern feel. The private lounge off the main lobby was a treat with the fireplace, personal cup coffee brewer (I believe it’s a Keurig), and a laptop available for guests to surf the web if they choose to. They also have DVDs available in the lounge. The hotel shuttle took us to Peller Estates for dinner and picked us up after so we didn’t have to worry about who would be the DD. We decided to go to Peller just earlier that day, and luckily Cooper was able to reserve a great table for the 8 of us.

My mom saw on the website that the hotel offered a guest fish available during our stay. When I mentioned this to Cooper, he promised to have a fish in each of our rooms. This simple treat really entertained mom and had her feeling like a special guest. It was a great touch.
When it came time to tour the wineries, Cooper added notes to the area map to let us know his favorite wineries and the wine selections he recommended at each. He really knows where to go and who to ask for.

All of my planning and travel, had my shoulders in knots, but Will at the Shaw Spa really helped to relax the tension and allow me to enjoy the rest of my trip easily. Mom and my aunts loved their manicures too. The spa is small and boutique style, so I recommend visiting the spa upon arrival to see what is available, and book your services ahead of time.

Overall, we had an amazing weekend and are already talking about going back next year. Great job, Shaw Club!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have the rain-style shower heads in the bathroom, so be sure to ask if that's some...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderfully detailed review! Cooper has an abundance of knowledge about the area, I’m thrilled he was able to share it with you. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed all the amenities we have to offer including our pet fish who kept your mom company during your stay! I hope to see you soon at Shaw Club Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Attending a workshop in Toronto city in late October , my friends encouraged me to visit Niagara Falls ..."never been there" I said .....but stay in Niagara on the Lake they said. Checking on the web for accommodation I spied the Shaw Club hotel , with great 'out of season' rates. You never really know what you're going to get until you walk into a place , but the second I walked through the door of the Shaw Club hotel I knew it was a winner. The simple but elegant design with contemporary touches , personable welcoming staff, and on-site Spa and restaurant , are all beautifully integrated. My accommodation was a small double-bed room , but with all the amenities that you would expect , and more....I booked the cheapest available on the web for an amazing $82/night low season rate.....percale cotton sheets and all! Décor is modern with some nice design touches (eg custom-fitted wall-wide mirrors in the bathroom). Included in the price is all day tea/coffee/hot chocolate from the Keurig machine in the residents lounge in the lobby , a warm modern welcoming room with open gas wall-fire , comfy seats , games and DVD library (you can also take DVD's to your room to play on the in-room DVD player).
At check-in I paid $14/day for full breakfast , and was delighted with the eggs Benny and other selections available ( if you pay for breakfast online when you book its $11/day) . The dining room is actually "Zee's" restaurant with an outside veranda if you feel inclined to watch the world go by , with the benefit of gas heaters to keep the brisk autumn Lake Ontario wind at bay. What I hadn't anticipated was the quality of the food at Zee's...I had dinner there both evenings of my stay , and I have to say that outside of big city restaurants , this was some of the best food I've had in a very long time....the pork loin and belly confit I had the first night was superb , and the second night I tried the 'sous-vide' lightly smoked Atlantic salmon which , if anything , was even better! Whoever is creating the dishes deserves some kind of award , as the plate presentation is beautiful , and the chefs deserve accolades for the execution and taste combinations.

Included in the price is off-street parking (something of a rarity in N-o-t-L I was told) , and internet access. If you want to be picky I guess you could say that there are no views from the rooms , but that is a small downside when weighed against all the other benefits including location , which is quiet despite being adjacent to street intersection, and 3 only mins walk into the heart of downtown.
If you hadn't already realised I am 'sold' on the Shaw Club Hotel , and if you are looking for an out of town getaway , or a stop on your vacation route , you wont find a better spot to relax, and rest your head. In terms of value for money it cant be beat.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel overlook the parking lot , and I suspect would be quieter in high se...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

WOW! Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, we truly appreciate it! I’m thrilled you enjoyed every aspect of your stay! Zee’s is an absolute must when visiting Niagara-on-the-Lake, their cuisine is out of this world! Chef Jason Dobbie has put his heart and soul into creating every detail of every masterpiece on the menu. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future visits to beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake, I would be happy to care of all the details for you!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

From the moment we checked into the Shaw Club, until the moment we left the experience was top notch! Upon checking in, we were personally escorted to our luxurious suite, where we were greeted with ambient music, soft lighting, and a surprise birthday cake awaiting (just because I had happened to mention the purpose of our trip). There were high quality bath robes hanging for us in the closet, soft sheets, wine glasses provided, stationary printed out with my name on it,and the room was decorated in a sophisticated modern style with one of the nicest hotel bathrooms I have ever seen. In addition to the hotel's cleanliness, quality, and attention to detail, the food in the hotel restaurant, Zee's, was a destination in and of itself! We enjoyed both dinner and breakfast here,and the creative and exceptional dishes are enough to satisfy any epicurean!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words, I will be sure to pass them on to the rest of the team! Our distinctive combination of stylish design, forward-thinking technology and innovative food and beverage is unprecedented in Niagara-on-the-Lake. We take pride in being a small boutique hotel as it gives us the opportunity to truly focus on every detail of our guests’ visits with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel and Spa soon!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I Stayed here one night on a Travelzoo deal. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was great. This newly created spa hotel (6 years ago) converted from a traditional hotel only, as i was informed. They reduced the number of room, and improved the amenities in each along the way. This is a very upscale location, right on the entrance into town from the the Niagara Parkway. A very SHORT walk into town for great food, shops, and other highlights (the local Royal George Theater, etc). This is a great "home base" if you want to go on wine tastings. There are many local wineries within a mile or two radius. You can drive to them or even bike in good weather. Not really walkable (unless you have enough time ;-). We received several vouchers for local wine tastings, and used them all.

Back to the Shaw Spa and Hotel..... Great staff, that makes things start off on a good note. We were in the main building, not "the annex". Bathroom was excellent. Marble tiled and glass walls with glass doors. It had a Rainshower head and an handheld shower as well; and a spa-jet tub as well. Very chic decor. The bath isn't huge, but not tiny either. Same for the room. Excellent king size bed-- so comfy. 50" LCD TV. I don't want to repeat whats already been stated about this place, but its a great hotel in a great location. They have a very nice lobby, with a PC to use, a printer, several newspapers, a DVD collection to borrow from to use in your room with the DVD player. Its smallish-- but very cozy and they pack in alot of amenities.

The attached restaurant (Zee's) deserves its own review, which I will also post. Its also a 5* winner.

Room Tip: The room locations are in "The Annex" or the Main Building. We were in the main building...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review! From the pleasure of unwinding in Zee’s Grill for contemporary nostalgic comfort food updated with a unique twist to the private pleasure of sinking to a feather bed topped with a goose down duvet, we take pride in offering a wonderful and extraordinary travel experience! I look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I recently enjoyed our second Life Experience getaway at the Shaw Club. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in 2011 and after receiving another gift card for the Shaw we were thrilled to book another getaway here. We actually ended up staying in the same room as our last visit thanks to the guest books they have in each room and noticed our comments from our last stay. The Life Experience gift cards are from Shoppers Drug Mart and they are very easy to use. It included our room, dinner and breakfast. We enjoyed our experience so much the first time that we have bought several of these gift cards for our parents and friends as gifts. The location, décor and the staff are top notch. Their restaurant, Zee's, is excellent and the staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words! I will be sure to pass them on to the rest of the team. I’m thrilled you’ve enjoyed your stay with us yet again! Thank you for passing the word around and telling everyone you know about the services we have to offer! We look forward to welcoming you back to Shaw Club Hotel & Spa soon!