“Ice Wine Heaven”

Niagara College Teaching Winery
More attraction details
Owner description: The Wine Visitor and Education Centre is the home of Canada's Only Teaching Winery, Niagara College Teaching Winery. This fully commercial, multi award winning winery is open to the public 7 days a week. Come and explore our vineyards, learn how wine is made and taste our award winning wines.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Ice Wine Heaven”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stopped off here for an hour long tour/tasting as part of a Group Tour to Niagara Falls and after being on a bus all day there was a large part of me really wanted to skip it and return straight to the hotel.

With hindsight I can honestly say it would have been the biggest mistake of my life as in that hour I was introduced to the magic of Ice Wine, my new found vice in life.

The concept is fantastic. A real life working classroom of sorts, and by opening the doors to tour parties they are also helping to promote Canadian wines for the good of the local community and economy. The tour was conducted by one of the students and I found him to be very informative and engaging. We also shouldn't forget the added bonus of tasting reds, whites, and desert wines.

I wouldn't go out of my way to visit, but was glad we did. I left with a bottle of Ice Wine tucked under my arm and haven't looked back since. Thanks Niagara-on-the-Lake!

Still not sure what Ice Wine is? Use Google, this isn't Wikipedia ;-)

Visited July 2012
Steve G, General Manager at Niagara College Teaching Winery, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi GaryMenzies

Thanks so much for your kind words about your visit with us. I am glad you had such a great time. Also have you had a chance to enjoy your icewine yet? When you do, please let us know what you thought.

Again, thank you for stopping by and please come back to see us.

• Polish first
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Beautiful small winery!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I bought a WagJag voucher for winery tour and lunch for 6 and was not sure what to expect from the teaching winery however when we arrived we were very pleasantly surprised by the informative tour, relaxing atmosphere and tasty wines! All the wines are prepared by a professional wine maker with student involvement so don't be scared by the "College Teaching" aspect of this winery. We sampled three wines and enjoyed our gourmet sandwich lunch on the patio overlooking the vinyards which was very quiet and relaxing. I could have sat there all day sipping wines and chatting with my friends! Put this winery on your list of places to visit, you won't be dissapointed!

Visited May 2013
Steve G, General Manager at Niagara College Teaching Winery, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hi Erin S.
I wanted to take the time to thank you for your kind comments about your recent visit to the Niagara College Teaching Winery. We are very happy to hear about how you and your friends enjoyed yourselves, tasting our award winning wines.
Please make sure you come and visit us again and we look forward to see you.
Toronto, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Niagara College Winery is a gem. I haven't participated in tours, etc. but feel sure they would be great. Went there thinking there would be a handful of mediocre wines (they're students, after all!) to taste and I might buy a few bottles to support the school.

Was I ever surprised to find the variety and quality of the wines there! I intend to go regularly to stock up on my favorites.

It's a big bonus that the college brewery is close by as well with some excellent beer selections.

Visited May 2013
Steve G, General Manager at Niagara College Teaching Winery, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hi There Susan G.
Thank you for stopping by Niagara College Teaching Winery and also thank you for your kind words. We are very proud of what we do here and are trying to offer all our customers great wines and a great experience. Also I hope you enjoyed your visit to our teaching brewery. We always have some great beers to taste there.
We look forward to your return. Have a great day.
Richmond Hill, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Highlight of our Niagara visit!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had a voucher for hotel and 4 winery tastings at well established wineries. We picked up a tourism book on all of the other wineries available and decided to visit Niagara College. We had also viewed the Rick Mercer report segment in which he toured the brewery. We sampled beer and wines....don't let the word "College" fool you....the products are on par with any established winery. We also bought all of our plants at the greenhouse. The products and the students enthusiastic expertise was contagious. There is also an on site restaurant that I would like to try sometime. All proceeds go back to the College...so really there is no decision to be made..everyone wins.

So many of us visit the Niagara Falls area or pass this area to cross the border. It's worth a visit along the way.

Visited April 2013
Steve G, General Manager at Niagara College Teaching Winery, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hi Gorjan

Thanks for visiting us at Niagara College Teaching Winery. You are very kind with your comments. We are always available to welcome you back 7 days per week. We look forward to seeing you again.
Cheers
Newmarket
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great new winery find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Had heard about the Niagara College Teaching Winery, but this was our first visit. We went on a Sunday afternoon, was very quiet, so we ended up having a private tour. Our tour guide, his name may have been Josh, but very enthusiastic professional and knowledgeable. It is nice to have a guide that is passionate about the Teaching Winery program and knows his stuff. The facility is beautiful and a relaxed setting for wine tastings. They even had some of their wine on sale. Wine ranges from good for everyday to excellent for special occasions, will definitely return. Would also like to try the restaurant, run by students in the culinary program.

Visited April 2013
Hi Sarah L
Thanks so much for your kind comments on your experience visiting us at the Niagara College Teaching Winery. We are proud of what we do there and welcome you back anytime.
Let us know when you are coming.