“My favourite Winery”

Colaneri Estate Winery
More attraction details
Owner description: Colaneri is a new family-owned and operated winery that hand-harvests the finest grapes to produce premium VQA award-winning wines from its surrounding vineyards. Most of the wines are made with the traditional Italian appassimento style of drying grapes, including a large portfolio of red, white and dessert wines. A new series has been introduced, made in the “recioto” style of making dessert wines. The winery is built in the Romanesque style featuring a captivating panoramic view of the vineyard and escarpment atop the St. David’s Bench appellation. The wine tasting bar overlooks the production area, allowing visitors to see the process. We, La famiglia Colaneri, are always on hand to share the experience and the passion that went into the making of our wines and our winery.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I really love this Winery ... the spectacular building (still in process), the location, the warm hospitable Colaneri Family, especially Chris (my favourite wine guy) and of course the wonderful tasting wines. We enjoy bringing our many visitors to this winery. Most recently we brought my husband's cousin & wife. She likes a full-bodied red wine and after visiting many wineries found the one she liked best at this winery.

To date we have purchased the Paese Chardonnay 2009 (more buttery flavour) $27.95, Cavallone Pinot Grigio 2011 $21.95, Allegria White Blend 2011 $18.95, Fumoso Biaco Savignon Blanc 2010 $21.95. We are not big red wine drinkers but on this recent visit tried the Visione Syrah 2009 $27.95 and really liked it and purchased a bottle of this too.

What makes these wines so rich and full-bodied tasting is that they use the "Amarone" process. I highly recommend this as a winery to visit while in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

When you arrive at this winery, you immediately believe you have entered the Italian countryside.
Parts were still under construction but you can envision the final result and this is a wonderful escape into another dimension.
A tour made our trip somewhat congested and that took away from the experience a little, but overall friendly staff and excellent wine.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stopped here in March 2013. The building is amazing! A tuscan villa in the middle of Niagara-on-the-Lake looked amazing and we were excited to try wines made in the Italian style. We had a wine tasting and the staff was very welcoming and knowledgeable about the Colaneri wine-making process (they concentrate the fruit using a kiln prior to fermentation). We also learned about the wine bottle labels which were personally designed for different members of the Colaneri family. We enjoyed the cabernet sauvignon and were excited to try the reds. The red wines were flat (not much flavor or body to them). Overall, we were disappointed that the wines did not live up to the amazing atmosphere.

1  Thank SSBestwell
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Excellent wines, especially the Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. The facility is beautiful, and the bottle labels themselves are works of art. Very professional and knowledgable staff.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Our first encounter with Colaneri Estate Winery was by chance. My wife and I were enjoying a leisurely drive in the Niagara Wine Country when we first saw the beautiful Tuscan Villa. We drove to the site and were greeted by Christopher, who as it turned out was a member of the Colaneri family. He answered our questions and directed us inside. There we were greeted in a friendly manner by staff who answered any question we asked of them. I was very impressed with the tastings, especially the way the staff made us feel as if we were long time customers, even though this was our first visit. Each wine was explained in detail, including the family history behind it. Despite there being many people at the tasting bar, the staff was generous and friendly with all of them. A great time was being had by all. We purchased a couple of bottles of wine which we enjoyed at home during the next couple of days. Two weeks later we returned to the winery and were once again treated with exceptional service.
We enjoyed the wine so much that we joined their wine club, even though we have membership
elsewhere. And having received three of their monthly deliveries to date, I must say that Colaneri's monthly offerings are far superior.
Thus far we have tried a few of their wines and have been impressed with all. My personal favorite is Pensiere, a merlot. Although I am not an avid Ice Wine aficionado, I was very impressed with the 2009 Dolcezza Doro - Vidal.
I am looking forward to what the entire winery will look like once the outside is completed and landscaped.
Colaneri Estate Winery is a definite must see in the niagara region. We are very happy we found it.