“Beautiful place, overpriced wines”

Southbrook Vineyards
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Southbrook Vineyards is Canada's first certified organic and biodynamic winery. Located on the periphery of scenic Niagara-on-the-Lake, Southbrook houses a 150 acres of land with 67 acres of vines. Owners Bill & Marilyn Redelmeier have always strived for complex, age-worthy Chardonnays and Bordeaux-blends. With the help of Ann Sperling, Director of Wine Making and Viticulture, Southbrook has been producing award-winning wines, towards with a focus local and sustainable wine making. Stop in for a visit at the winery and learn about our LEED Gold Certified retail pavilion and winery, all the while enjoying a glass of our locally produced wines. Before you leave, don't forget to say hello to one of our 150 sheep grazing throughout the property, or sit down and have a bite to eat at our outdoor bistro.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Beautiful place, overpriced wines”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Southbrook Vineyards is a beautiful place, unfortunately their wine prices are not consistent with the quality in my opinion. I enjoyed the 2010 Poetica Red, but at $54.95, you may want to ask yourself what else you could get for that kind of price point. Staff were knowledgeable and the gift shop was nice.

Visited October 2013

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Taste for your palate and mind”
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We just finished our tasting at Southbrook and I have to say, it was exceptional. A wonderful staff that was extremely knowledgable from everything on the growing process, to the final product, to the tasting notes.

The property is gorgeous, 62 acres of active vines I believe and they have sheep! And while the sheep were not out at the time of our visit the scenery was very relaxing and thought provoking.

If you are looking for a winery while in Niagra Falls this is a short trip, about 20 minutes, away and worth every cent. Award winning wines, and in my opinion, an award winning staff. Thank you for entertaining us on our vacation, it was a memorable experience and we will return if ever in the area again.

Visited September 2013
US
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Owners Have No Clue How to Run a Business”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We paid to host an event here and it was a nightmare from beginning to end. When I first visited the winery to see if it would fit with my event plans, I met with the event coordinator who was very honest with us. She told us the owners don't know how much to charge for events and aren't sure how to deal with events. That should have been my first clue. From the date we rented the Southbrook facility to the day of the event we dealt with 3 different event coordinators because they kept quitting. That should have been another red flag.

Unfortunately, the management at Southbrook is a reflection of the owners. They are extremely rude, difficult to deal with and have no tact when it comes to dealing with paying customers. The majority of the management were extremely young (late teens to early 20's) and clearly had little management or life experience.

In short, even though I signed a contract and paid a deposit:
My event was cancelled and rescheduled without my knowledge.
The owners tried to change the stipulations of the contract several times.
The owners tried to change the price to rent the facility.

In addition, the owners would not answer my numerous voicemails or phone calls unless I called from an unrecognized phone number.

After the event, the owner tried to mysteriously charge my credit card an additional $500 without my knowledge or consent.

Please beware if you use this facility for an event. I am posting this review so other are aware and don't run into the nightmare experience that I experienced.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank veclempt
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Excellent visit”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We went to Southbrook on our way from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Toronto. We visited based on the rec from a staffer at Stratus, another great area winery. My wife and I decided to forego a tasting and have a quick lunch/glass in their outside bistro. Their wine was great, the meal was quite tasty, and their patio was a lovely place to sit and enjoy an August afternoon.
Like Stratus, this winery reminded us of ones in Napa...quite modern and sophisticated. It is well worth the visit.

Visited August 2013
Oshawa, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Organic Winery and Eco friendly”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Excellent concept. Gorgeous store, clean, and I found the staff friendly and knowledgeable. We went as part of the Niagara Vintage Wine Tour and we were treated like VIP's. Lovely sit down wine tasting, that is not available if you just walk in.
Pesticide free and use of sheep in the vineyard makes this an excellent eco friendly environment right down to the use of reclaimed water. Wine was good and I purchased a variety of cabernet jelly and mustards. Also purchased BioFlavia, which is organic grape skin powder and was on Dragons Den. Awesome

Don't pass this vineyard by....you will NOT be disappointed.

Visited August 2013