“New Years Eve Dinner”

The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre
Waterdown, Canada
“New Years Eve Dinner”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

For the second year in a row we have made the "Pillar and Post" dining room our choice for a getaway evening.
Festively decorated, for New Years, yet still oozing the homey, warmth of an old inn.
Absolutely a wonderful place to visit and enjoy a quiet dinner for two.
We were seated at our table, unfortunately adjacent to an outside wall and a window, and it was terribly drafty.
It was a very cold night outside and the air was literally flowing through and around the window.
Fortunately our request to change tables was met with a smile, and prompt offer of a table by the fireplace.
From that point on it was just a lovely evening.
Our server was the same gentleman as last year, pleasant, professional, and attentive.
The meal, was absolutely delicious, all five courses.
We languished over coffee, and dessert, and left feeling that our choice to dine here was once again a good one.
To the wait staff, the kitchen and the management, thank you , I enjoyed the value for my dollar..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
London, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Arrived around 3pm on Dec 30th greeted with a smile! Room was ready, settled in quickly them met up with family.

Our room was on the first floor on teh way to the pool, very central which was great I beleive the room was 146. The room itself had 2 double beds...I wish hotel woudl do 2 queens, double are sooo small! The room was a good size with flat screen tv, in room safe, iron and ironing board plus robs. Beds were good, the linens were good too. The bathroomwas a good size with very plush towels and the shower presure was good.

Quickly got setteld and headed back to lobby/firepalce to visit with family the rest of the afternoon. The Bar right by us and kept our drinks filled, which was great! not sure on pricing everyone else bought :)

Left for a bit for rehersal at Jackson Triggs Winery...whcih was beautiful, my uncle's company built it.

Dinner that night was at the syndicate in Niagra Falls - great food.

Came back around 9pm...headed to the pool and hottub, VERY NICE!

Wedding wasnt till 5pm of the 31st...so we ahd the day.

Had breakfast in the dinning room - nice selection, pricy, but expected it at the Pillar & Post. Went into town for some shopping...very cold! Came back for lunch at Lounge - Sweet Potatoe Soup...yummy! Price, not bad. Got ready for wedding at JT's.

Appitizers and Drinks at Pillar & Post were great...the pre room though was small for 175 guest. Dinner was served at 7:35...Goat Cheese tarlet for first course, it was ok not a goat cheese fan. Second course was beef ternerloin whcih was done perfectly! Desert was choclate lava cake...YUMMY!

the night was topped of with a new Year celebration at midnight with a champaign toast...it was a lot of fun!!

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I've spent the day at the Pillar and Post as a guest of the spa many times. I enjoy the pools and spa services. Recently, my husband and his parents and I stayed over for the night; this was my first stay over. I am familiar with the amenities, but was delighted by the additional complimentary services I experienced as stay-over guest.

The Pillar & Post offers free shuttle service to the Jackson-Triggs and Peller Estates wineries; we used this instead of paying for the trolley fee per guest, because we were not picky on the winery. The hotel also shuttles guests to and from any restaurant in town. The weather was cold and the roads were slushy, so we really appreciated the drop-off to the Angel's Inn (a nearby pub with tasty food). The driver was timely, courteous and friendly; a perfect employee choice for the hotel.

Our rooms were outfitted with robes and fridges (and Keurig machines), the spa offers an endless supply of tea and coffee and fruit, and in the mornings, there is coffee and tea in the lobby. We enjoyed lounging in the spa until the "wee" hours of 1030pm (our day started early, we were exhausted).

Small things like being able to sample the face creams and body creams by the spa were appreciated, especially as my skin was parched. I felt welcomed to help myself to any product to try and the girls in the spa even had brand new hair elastics for guests, which I needed for the pools and steam room because I lost my elastic along the way during the day. Finally, I like that we could journey to any of the other Vintage hotels in town and use their spas as well.

In the morning, we used the exercise room and tried to make it to their free yoga class (couldn't, just too hungry for breakfast). It really felt like a resort stay.

The last perk was received after we left--an email to rebook a room within the next 14 days for a free room upgrade to a premium suite. This is a clever idea, and I had such a nice time, that I went ahead and booked two more nights, one for my mum and I in February and one for my two friends and I in May. Thank you Pillar and Post for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the pool, in the new wing. The older wing (the cannery) is a little spooky for m...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Property-Services, General Manager's Office at The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We truly appreciate you sharing your lovely experience and taking the time to reflect on your stay at the Pillar and Post Inn and Spa. Our goal is to always provide you with exceptional quality and service to ensure your stay is memorable. Again, thank you very much for your lovely compliments, we will be sure to share this with our staff!
Bracebridge, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The Inn is beautiful, It is well maintained, staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are nice. Our first stay we had a suite with a fireplace which was wonderful. This stay we had a regular room with a kingsize bed which was very comfortable. The Spa is busy on the weekend and was difficult to enjoy the outdoor spa but with patience we managed to eventually get in. This is a great place to go and just relax for a weekend. A 10 minute walk into Town which hosts many excellent pubs, restaurants and unique stores. Will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate all your wonderful compliments about our hotel and that you were able to eventually enjoy the hot springs and take advantage of some time away from the everyday. It is our goal to exceed all expectations, so to know that we were able to do that for you, means a great deal to our guest service team. We look forward to your return visit in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I should start by saying that I've heard great things about P&P and I'm almost certain this place is more enjoyable in the Summer months. Having said that, I did not enjoy my stay. This place is 3-4 stars at best. The food is 3 stars. The service, however, is top notch.

The room was as expected - nothing special but as advertised in their pictures. Where my stay got ruined was that on a frigid Canadian day, they left the heat off in our room when my wife and I arrived. We wanted to immediately start celebrated NYE upon check-in (we brought champagne!) but instead we were too cold for the first hour as our room warmed up. This became an overnight problem as well as the heater made significant noise all night and I could not get the temperature to my liking. So, it was a restless night - not the relaxing getaway I was hoping for on this pricey one-night getaway.

The food was so-so but the restaurant service was excellent. For dinner I had the beef tenderloin (glorified hamburger meat) and my wife had fish, which honestly seemed like those frozen, boxed kinds. The brunch buffet was slightly better.

I was hoping to catch parts of the Winter Classic hockey game in the bar while my wife spent the afternoon in the spa, but this bar is straight out of the 80's...including the fuzzy reception from CBC on their tiny tv's. One could not even make out the score let alone watch the hockey game.

Upon checkout the kind staff (I want to stress again they they really have great people working there) saw my restlessness from my battle with our thermostat, and during brunch kindly came over and comp'd us for the meal. A nice gesture, but rather small considering how much we spent in a short amount of time with our two meals and spa treatments. The best part of my day was getting home and getting a good night's rest!

Room Tip: The hot spring is very unique and romantic.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NeilBhaps
Property-Services, General Manager's Office at The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments and apologize for the experience you had during your stay. It is certainly not our intent to give such a poor impression of our hotel and we are so sorry that you were made to feel this way upon your arrival.

We are so grateful you took the time to speak with our Executive team today and that you have accepted our invitation to come back to the Pillar and Post, where we will show you the kind of service you and your wife deserve for a weekend away.
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Great place to stay all year round. My wife and I stay there at least once a year. This year we spent Christmas. It was a wonderful experience and we can't wait to stay there again. I highly recommend some of the package deals and don't forget to book an appointment with the Spa.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you, we are very flattered by your compliments and your recommendation! We are so pleased that you love the Pillar and Post, and will be returning in the near future!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Wife and I went for out annual night away without kids. Spa was fantastic but packed to the point there was no where to sit in the lounge. The services made up for feeling crammed in like sardines. The food at the pub and restaurant was top notch as was the service. The room (214) was nice enough and well appointed but right next to the stairwell that housed two ice machines. We returned from what was to be a peaceful retreat more tired than when we arrived to to the noise from the ice machines. It sounded like a freight train coming through the room every hour and a half or so. I let the front desk know at check out and they did nothing. Due to this I am unsure if we'll return unless we get a room far from the ice machines.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments and apologize for the experience you had during your stay. It is certainly not our intention to give such a poor impression of our hotel and we are so sorry that you were made to feel this way.

I am so pleased we were able to speak and discuss the concerns you mentioned above, thank you for taking the time to do so. I am also so pleased that you have accepted our invitation to welcome you back to the Pillar and Post so that we might show you the quality hospitality you expect and deserve.