“Delightful and beautiful inn”

Oban Inn, Spa and Restaurant
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We just returned from a long weekend at the Oban Inn in NOTL ... our first time there and we loved both the inn and the town. The grounds and public areas are gorgeous. Our room, in the main building, was contemporary, beautiful, comfortable and efficient ... though a bit small. Our daughter's family's rooms were in the older building, Victorian in decor, very large and just as comfortable. We were both very pleased. The grounds are filled with gardens, flowers, a gazebo, fish pond and a beautiful pool and hot tub. But what I will remember the most, and what will bring us back many times, is the friendly and helpful service and the elegant continental breakfast. Yes, it is a cold buffet (, they apologized for not serving a hot breakfast) but the quality and selection of fruit was plenty to keep us very happy well into the day. They also have a spa which looked wonderful, but we were so busy we didn't have time to take advantage of it.

Room Tip: If you prefer contemporary decor (as we do), request the main building, if you prefer the popular Vi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Oban Inn, Spa and Restaurant

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Although there were plenty of options out there when it comes to Spas, I think one should definitely consider visiting the Oban's Spa. The awards they've received speak for themselves. I only went for the Hot Stone Massage as part of a Day spa treat and it was wonderful. Irmi, the RMT who assisted me, was very knowledgeable and made it a great experience because it was my first time getting the Hot Stone Massage as well.

The place itself isn't big but that kind of gave me the "homey" feel as well. That worked out for me. The service from the beginning (check-in) to the end was quite positive. Definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2012

It was our 1st stay at NOTL (Sat July 21 & Sun 22) and we wanted an inn that would offer ambiance, luxury, dining and a range of amenities. Oban Inn delivered that and more. Our room (#201) had a beautiful outdoor deck and a great view of Lake Ontario as well as a fire place. This was a welcomed bonus considering our loft residence in Toronto lacks this. Our room was very well appointed. The house staff was attentive and approachable (thanks to Michael for buckets of ice), and were gracious with assistance with local attractions. Even the housekeeping personnel were bubbly and polite; where do you ever get that? Upon arrival we had a wonderful couples massage (kudos to Brian who was my masseur), and as part of our package our dining experience on Saturday evening was impeccable. I had the best beef tenderloin that I've ever tasted. Our waitress was exceptional (a very young pretty blonde woman); and the oven baked cinnamon rolls during our Sunday & Monday continental breakfasts were to die for. On Monday the cinnamon rolls had just run out during our seating. Our waitress offered a fresh new batch and we delighted in the prospect of this fresh baked goodness to start our week! With lots of local charm and shopping, the Shaw festival at your doorstep and access to the oldest inn in Ontario (Angel Inn) for a cold pint on tap, plus wine tours, the Oban Inn is your best option for a luxury retreat in NOTL. Ask for a room with a garden view and a deck/ patio if you are staying 2 or more nights during the summer. We would definitely recommend this inn and plan on coming back at some point in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view/ room with a deck if you are staying 2 or more nights during the summer
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Great location across the street from Lake Ontario. The room was quaint and extremely clean. Very modern, yet full of character. The staff was great and provided excellent service! I would definitely recommend the Oban Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Bottom Line: I would stay here again and I recommend the Oban - it does boutique inn very well. This is not a hotel so don't judge it by the standards of a large, full service location. We did not use the spa so cannot comment on its service.

The details: Beautiful setting with well maintained gardens make for an idyllic, romantic stay. Service was welcoming without being insincere. Our Queen room with sun room was small (cozy) and well appointed; the sun room was huge and made for a great daytime reading/relaxing area. The bedding was comfortable and luxurious. For some guests the room may be smaller then you would like so make sure you ask for details during check-in/booking. The bathroom was clean, contemporary in style and functional.

We only had the continental breakfast (included in your room cost) and chose to eat elsewhere for other meals. The breakfast is what you would expect - hard boiled eggs, cheese and sliced meat, bread, cereal, yogurt, juice and coffee (excellent brew). Service is attentive and professional. The dinner menu looked promising, I heard several people comment favorably on the food and it looks like the locals eat at the restaurant so take that for what its worth.

Close to all town amenities with most within walking distance. The golf club is across the road and downtown Niagara-on-the-lake is a five minute walk away.

The conference room is worth a visit. Designed for small meetings its walls are lined with both recent fiction and older runs of Encyclopedia's, Histories and volumes of National Geographic going back to the 20's. Interesting browsing and too read, while there, if you wish.

A hotel is often defined by how it handles the little things. The Oban handles the details very well. When we returned to our room the first day there we found that it had not been cleaned. I phoned down to the desk and we had someone there within five minutes. The response and fix was as good as could be hoped for in the situation. During breakfast, I asked for mustard; It came immediately and was way more then I needed. Staff is friendly and outgoing with a restrained professionalism.

Wifi is included, just make sure to ask for the password when you check in.

The swimming pool is a little oasis set in an English garden setting. Comfortable with a nice (not great) hot tub.

Cons: Charging for local phone calls is an arcane practice that the inn should discontinue. It was only a couple of bucks so I didn't care but it would have been cheaper to use my cell phone. The rooms need more then one towel per person. That said, ask for more towels and you shall receive. Probably not great for parents with kids unless you get the larger rooms/suites.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for our anniversary. In fact this is the 3rd or 4th anniversary we have spent here. We were lucky enough to get the same room that we have had before, which we absolutely love.

Had our anniversary dinner in the restaurant and once again we were extremely happy with our meals. The salmon appetizer I had was just beyond words. I wanted to order a second one to take back to the room for a late night snack. I'm sure if I had asked, they would have made it happen.

The staff are fantastic, the atmosphere is great, everythings was just as we had hoped. Too bad we were only able to stay one night this year. Hopefully next year we can extend our visit by at least one extra night.

We love NOTL and the Oban is one of the main reasons that we do.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Oban Inn in Niagara on the Lake. It is a 26 room facility that is beautifully appointed in modern, tasteful decor. The rooms are very elegant and extremely clean. We stayed in a Premium Queen Suite with a lovely sunroom. The sunroom was an amazing place to relax and enjoy the splendid view of the courtyard. Beds, pillows and linens were of high quality. Robes in the room were a welcoming touch. The towels and toiletries in the bathroom were abundant. But most of all, the staff members are fantastic. From the moment we arrived to our daily questions about how to get to where we are going, they are friendly, helpful and really quite charming. Mike was very welcoming when he was checking us in, making us feel right at home. During our stay we were able to enjoy the spa which was an extremely relaxing experience. My husband and I both enjoyed a massage which was an excellent way to begin our stay. Hermes and Brian were our massage therapists. It was evident that these two individuals were very professional and experienced in their roles. My husband and I both enjoyed time in the pool and hot tub in the courtyard. This relaxing oasis was a spectacular way to spend a late afternoon in a quiet and inviting area. The pool was very refreshing after walking through this area on a very warm day. During the evening we shared an amazing meal at the restaurant at the inn. The food was abundant with flavor and it was tastefully presented in an amazing dining room. Actually that meal was the best meal we experienced during our 4 day vacation to the Niagara area. Jo Jo is a talented chef which adds that special touch to the food which she creates. In the morning, a lovely buffet breakfast is served in the same dining room. This continental breakfast was a perfect way to start our day. The location of the inn is ideal. It is about a five minute walk from the main street in Niagara on the Lake, yet you are able to see Lake Ontario from the inn. It is evident that the owners of this four diamond establishment are dedicated to providing high quality service to their customers.
I highly recommend this little oasis. It's combination of charm and modernity reflect the character of this area.

2  Thank Smare_12
ObanInn, General Manager at Oban Inn, Spa and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Good evening Smare_12 from Madoc,

What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to share your insights and comments regarding your recent 4-day stay with us at The Oban Inn in July 2012.

We are thrilled you enjoyed the amenities and décor of our recently updated Premium Queen guestrooms along with the many other facilities available on-site from our Spa, outdoor pool, hot tub, gardens and dining experience at Restaurant Oban Inn.

We appreciate your positive praise of our staff and especially recognizing the efforts of our Spa therapists, Guest Service Agent Michael and Sous Chef Jo Jo. They are part of a great team each of them proud to provide exceptional service to all our guests - without them we could not make any of this happen. Thank you for your generous complements to them!

Our team looks forward to the opportunity to welcome you back for your next getaway in Niagara-on-the-Lake!

Sincerely