“Pretty good hotel, pretty good spa”

White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I went to White Oaks for a ladies weekend spa get-away, and we are from Toronto. Having only gone to a couple spas before, I was really excited.

The spa was nice. The front reception was very friendly. The mini-massage and pedicure I had were as good as anywhere else and the robes were lovely. There are two waiting areas before and between treatments. The 'meditation room' they put me in is a dark room with comfy seating, blankets, tea and flavoured water, but it was not ideal for me since I wanted to read. I wish they had given an option for where to wait (there or the 'reading room' which is well-lit and has a fireplace). There are NO EXTRA PERKS to this spa though; there really isn't any reason to hang out in there after treatments. The hottub and sauna are in other areas of the hotel and the one tiny, shower in the changeroom was not appealing (it was too short for me at 5'9" and had a completely see-through door to the rest of the changeroom). Its best to go to the fitness centre changeroom for a shower, but then you have to get dressed and walk through the hotel to get to it. Its not really fair to compare, but its definitely no St Annes.

The hotel was nicely decorated, clean and okay to navigate (although I did get turned around a few times). The salt water pool is much nicer than a chlorinated one and the hot tub was a good temperature when I tried it, but the whirlpool wasn't working. The starbucks in hotel was nice to have.

We didn't eat in the hotel so I can't comment, but it was nice to have a Keg nearby.

The fitness centre (a stand-alone health club you have access to as a hotel guest) was OUTSTANDING. On a Saturday afternoon there was so much equipment available that we could do whatever we wanted. The ladies changeroom had a sauna and steam room. The only downside to the fitness centre was the cheap soap in the showers.

The night we stayed there were apparently a couple of Christmas parties, and we were kept up for over 3 hours with partiers in the hallway outside our room. We called the front desk, but the noise and rowdiness did not improve significantly after that. We spoke with the front desk in the morning and they hadn't logged our complaint (there was no record). The person we spoke with was very courteous and apologetic and offered us gift cards towards our next stay, which was nice. A discount off our hotel bill would have been nice though, since none of us got the good nights' sleep that White Oaks markets itself for.

Overall a fun weekend getaway. If you're looking for a complete spa weekend though, a hotel/spa that is more centered on the spa, like St Annes, would make more sense. If you're looking for a hotel/dinner get-away with outstanding fitness facilities and some spa treatments, then this is a good option.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank jvandermeij
There are newer reviews for White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 15, 2010

I have to write a review. i have gone to white oaks many times with a great friend of mine who lives there regularily as her home away from home. i experince top notch service at all times when i am there and now when on the phone reserving for my next visit there in december. The front desk who are not familiar with me in particular, namely Lindy and Michael are so welcoming and genuinely caring in their approach. They truly enjoy their jobs and deserve to be mentioned for the manner in which they work. Vanessa, thank you for accomodating me so family that have not yet enjoyed the resort can vacation there with me for a night to check out why i rave about the place soooo much. Your reservation that you managed to make for me at a busy time is most appreciated. i cannot wait to visit again on december 4th and am looking forward to seeing how my mom and sister enjoy your lovely resort. thanks very much,
heidi

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Really enjoyed our two night getaway with my son who was in a squash tournament at the White Oaks. Loved that the pool was warm and the hot tub was hot, the pool is salt water and very nice to my sensitive skin.....The room was big with a clean bathroom and of course my son loved the t.v. in the washroom. Food that we had at the hotel was very good and not overly priced. What was nice is the starbucks they have on site, but a 3 minute car riade away is a another popular coffee shop.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Staff was very polite and professional. The room was large, with two queen beds and a very spacious washroom. Pool and hot tub where nice, always at the perfect temperature and not over crowded. The spa was unbelievable, with very professional staff. Location was great, 10 minutes to niagara on the lake, 5 minutes to niagara falls. Hotel was in the country to view from the rooms were nice and private.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I don't usually leave comments on sites like these, but after my stay at White Oaks, I had to share my experiences. I have spent many many nights in hotels for various reasons for both professional and pleasure. In all my experiences I have yet to encounter a stay like the one I had at White Oaks. From the doorman to the bartender to the front desk and beyond, the staff there were a class above any I've encountered prior and their one goal was clearly to ensure that my stay was as perfect as possible. The elegance and opulence of White Oaks was second to none. The food was truly outstanding, the ambiance was classy, romantic and yet very modern at the same time, the rooms were stunning to say the least and while I could go on and on at length about my experience at White Oaks, I would suggest the only way to truly live the experience that I had is to find an excuse to stay there. I'll most definitely be back. Please feel free to contact me if you would like any further elaboration, it would be my pleasure

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2010

This hotel far exceeded our expectations. We saw it from the road and was a bit disappointed about how close it was to a major highway (we were hoping it was closer to the town on Niagara-on-the-Lake) but the location turned out to be great since it was still close to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake. Also, the rooms were very nice & clean. Our favorite feature was a small desk/coffee area that was around the wall from the beds, so we could check email after the kids went to bed without them seeing us. Also, they had free WiFi in the rooms, small TV in the bathrooms, and Keurig coffeemaker. The staff was extrememly helpful and very accomodating too! I would highly recommend this place to anyone especially a family traveling with small kids!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2010

My husband and I went there to celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary. The hotel is beautiful! Amy checked us in, she was so sweet and friendly and made us feel very welcome. The room was fantastic! The bed was extremely comfortable and we loved the fireplace. We had a first floor suite that overlooked the garden. The bathroom with the jacuzzi was huge. There was a separate shower stall and it even had a bidet. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. We did not get a chance to use all of the facilities because we spent the majority of our stay at Niagara on the Lake. Originally we wanted to stay in town, but we're glad we didn't. This hotel had everything we were looking for and it was half the cost of staying in town, which was just a short drive from the hotel. We are looking forward to returning and using all they have to offer. We highly this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple