“Over priced New Year's Eve”

White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa
Toronto, Canada
“Over priced New Year's Eve”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Stayed at White Oaks for three nights and New Year's Eve. We attended the New Year's eve buffet and dance. The buffet was excellent and the server was great and the breakfast the next morning was nice as well. The only part of the evening that I feel could of been better planned was the dancing after the meal. The room was set up like a wedding large tables and no consideration for the couples who were attending. They could of put a few more chairs outside the ballroom for couples who didn't want to dance but wanted to ring in the New Year. Also the music was too loud and the music didn't really match the age of the people attending. I feel for the money we spent for the night $435.00 the party should of been better planned for couples as well as large groups.

I was not told of the facility fee at the time of booking which was a waste for us because we only use the pool which is free in most hotels. My husband used the hot tub and it was pathetic the jets did nothing. I will not be coming back to this hotel because of the facility fee and the disappointment of the New Year's event.

The parking is not free it is included in your facility fee which is a bit much. I can see paying for the valet parking.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lshorting
Exec-DirectorWO, Manager at White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and comments. We take our guests feedback very seriously and will ensure to discuss this when planning future events as we are always striving to improve. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your dining experience at White Oaks as well as the service our team provided during your stay.
It is unfortunate to read that you did not find value in our New Years Eve package as that too is very important to us. When pricing out the package a comparison was done with other Niagara properties and we found our price to be considerably lower than most hotel's who were offering a room rate only.
As you mentioned the hotel's facility fee was something that you were not expecting as well. Just to quickly clarify the fee, it covers many items at the hotel. It covers self or valet parking, local telephone calls, access to the indoor pool and fitness centre, complete with cardio rooms, weight rooms, movement classes, steam room and sauna as well as wireless internet throughout the building. Unfortunately you did not have the opportunity to use all these amenities otherwise you may have found more value in this fee.
You are correct, the charge of the facility fee should have been mentioned to you by the agent who booked your room. We also describe it in all written hotel confirmations to ensure our guests are informed prior to arrival and reconfirm the fee again at check in. I am not sure if you were able to bring your concerns to the attention to any of our team members while you were onsite but we would be happy to discuss this further should you wish to contact us.
Thank you once again for taking the time to write in.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2012

not a bad thing to say! ive stayed on various occasions and ive never had a worry about anything. A kind, friend, professional staff always made sure everything was taken care of and if something was needed, we had it in our rooms in minutes! Both restraunts are fabulous and the spa is by far one of my favourites!(this coming from a spa junkie!)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisaemma9
Thank you for your feedback. It is wonderful to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that our staff was helpful and accommodating during your stay. Thank you for your positive feedback about the Spa, calling it one of your favourites is quite the compliment! We look forward to you visiting us again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2012

we went for a weekend getaway food was great at both restaurants and club has beautiful facilities top notch in customer service and great to be able to hit starbucks without going outside

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed at White Oaks for a romantic getaway weekend.

Dining was FANTASTIC along with an amazing assortment of local wines. The resort was very clean, rooms were filled with luxurious bedding and linens and spacious. The staff was amazing, from check in, to dining to spa, everyone went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. Would highly recommend to anyone thinking about a stay in Niagara on the Lake.

Enjoy....i know we will again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2012

This was my second time coming to White Oaks and it was as amazing as the first! The resort is beautiful and the rooms themselves are a little slice of heaven. I had some time to use the gym and it is top notch. I'm wondering why it's so hard to find a gym like this back home.

We ate at LIV and the food was excellent. It was a beautiful dining experience. The other thing is that besides being a relaxing place to just be, there's a lot to do in the area. Make sure to wine taste, go to Niagara on the Lake and of course the Falls. All around a great place to go for a getaway!

• Stayed June 2011
Grimsby, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife and I attended The White Oaks Conference Center in December for her company's (Andrew Peller) Christmas Party. As a result of the service we recieved at our table I sent the letter below to the Director of Culinary services. I think you will understand the message.

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM, David D Dawson <davidddawson@mac.com> wrote:
Hello Mr.Price,

My name is David Dawson, my wife Brenda is an employee (Finance Manager) of Andrew Peller Wines Ltd. As you are aware Andrew Peller chose the White Oaks facility to have their annual Christmas function which was held last night. While there may have been a few issues in regards to timing of the food delivery that is not why I am writing today. So often we find that it is so easy to complain about things, which is not what I am doing. I just find that many people always find time to see the negative and make complaints, but find very little time to find the positive and comment on that. I am writing to compliment one of your staff/ servers.

While I'm sure all of your servers are worthy of some compliments as I am aware that serving at a large function is not as easy task. Having said that I would like to take a moment to make you aware and compliment the server we had at our table last night. His name is "Carlos". Right from the start Carlos engaged all of us with his openness and friendly smile. He was extremely competent when serving the dishes and used what we obviously saw as a natural humour that kept us all entertained throughout the night. Even while we were aware that Carlos had other tables to attend too, we all commented that we felt like we were the only ones he was serving!. Water was always poured, he was attentful to the ladies at the table with their drinks and on several occasions took the time to ask us if everything was ok. We apparently had some fussy eaters at our table and Carlos took the time to jokingly get these people to "Just try" their soup or salad, which they did, they were then rewarded by his encouragement and a smile! The table was always cleared in time for the next course and at times you didn't even know he was doing it. There were times that we noticed he was even taking time to assist some of the other servers around our table.

There were many comments around the table, some were "Don't you wish you could get a server like this everywhere you eat", " He really loves what he is doing", He's doing exactly what he wants to do and it shows!

I could go on, but I'll end here by saying, that I did approach Carlo while he was bar tending in the lobby and told him what I am writing you today, he just smiled and graciously said "Thank you, Merry Christmas!", nothing more, very gracious, but his face lit up and again smiled, if there is any example of what truly makes a person feel good it's to take the time to say that in person, and pass the same message on to their employer so they get to know that they really do have a valuable employee.

Finally, it's is my hope that you will take the time to personally let Carlos know that he did and is doing a great job, as I know you can not buy employee loyalty and hard work, and no matter what jobs they are doing everyone needs to hear that they are doing a good job. Taking the time to do this with him, and all of your employees will become infectious. I'm not implying your present environment is not like that because with this example it would appear at least one of your employees loves his profession and the environment he is working in. We all believed that these kind of employees should be recognized by way of encouragement and compliment, because as you know, if reversed they would certainly and rightfully be spoke to.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this, And I would like to wish you, yours, and all your staff a wonderful Holiday season.

David Dawson

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank David546
Exec-DirectorWO, Manager at White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Thank you for providing such detailed feedback about your recent experience at White Oaks Resort. We truly appreciate it, as your comments and feedback is very important to us. We look forward to learning from our guests feedback and some cases pat our team members on the back for a job well done. It is wonderful to read how Carlos' service and personality made such a positive impression on you and other guests at your table. We will definitely let him know how the excellent service he provided did not go unnoticed.
Thank you for taking the time to write in to the hotel directly and for letting others know about your experience. We look forward to having you visit us again soon.
Fort Erie, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2012

From the moment I walked into White Oaks I was blown away. From the service in the main entrance to the restaurant staff there is nothing here to complain about. I had my wedding here and was blown away but thought that maybe the service would change if I wasn't spending thousands of dollars on an event....NOPE! They still treated me like gold in every facet. If you are in the Niagara Region this is a must stay....it will not disappoint!

Room Tip: Stayed in a suit both time and all I can say is WOW! worth it!