“It was nice until”

White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa
Reviewed December 28, 2007

The hotel was nice but not a 5 star hotel. I've seen better the rooms and overall cleanliness of the hotel was good until i saw a creepy crawler in the bathroom on the wall where the toilet is. From that point i was paranoid. We were there for a company party in one of the halls and we hadn't slept in the beds yet., only checked into the rooms to get dressed. when the night was over i went to use the bathroom in my suite and saw the multi legged cockroach by the toilet. it was a baby which led me to believe there were others. i stripped the bed and checked everything. All the employees were very nice and courteous but that did not make up for the rude extra friend that stayed for free in our room.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank Tweetylea

Reviewed December 18, 2007

I booked this hotel 3 months ahead of time with great expectation, given that it's a 5-star resort and spa. To my disappointment, I could not book 2 female RMT for a massage with my friend (we are both female so it make sense to have female therapists). I read some reviews saying that I should book well in advance. I thought 2 months ahead was consider as well in advance but apparently it's not.

The lobby is small or cozy maybe a better word. As we walked to our room, I came to realize that this is not a modern hotel even though there was a TV in the elevator the hallway looks kinda crappy, not to mention the exterior too. We stayed in the Deluxe Suite with a fireplace and jacuzzi. The jacuzzi was big enough to fit three people in it. Cleaniness was not a concern. The room was very clean and spacious. The bed and linen was comfortable to sleep in. But furniture looks outdated - do not expect a flat screen TV.

Service was excellent, from the doorman to the waiter in the restaurant (LIV). We had lunch in LIV. The food selection contains mostly healthy food. The food was excellent when they actually come after 40-45 mins. We took 1.5 hours for our lunch and we only ordered 2 sandwiches.

In short, do not expect a modern hotel, allow enough time to wait for your food, and book well in advance for the spa. Then you won't be too disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Just came back from this hotel. We did not use the spa or sports complex, so can't comment on that. The room was outstanding. Jacuzzi bathtub wasn't the standard two person, you could fit three into it!
Very relaxing spot. Did not hear the highway, and yes it is close to it. I wondered about the distance from Niagara Falls, but drove there twice during our stay, and it was no more than 15 minutes.
Room service was fantastic, breakfast and full dinner were outstanding in taste, and presentation.
Hotel was very clean.
I would stay here many times over!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Joyce333
Reviewed August 26, 2007

This is a sub-standard hotel in a terrible location. It is located just off the highway - and next door to a Leon's store - about half an hour by car from the beautiful town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, where there are MANY beautiful hotels. The hotel is large and slightly tacky, with no personality. The rooms are ok, but most look out on the parking lot. The air conditioning is old-fashioned and noisy. The staff is efficient and friendly in a perfunctory kind of way. Staff are always bustling around moving chairs and tables in open areas for big groups. There is no intimate or comfortable place to sit and have a coffee or glass of wine - the bar is small and incredibly ugly. The restaurant is very, very average - never trust a restaurant that describes itself as "sexy" - it is not even that. In spite of being well out of town, the grounds are almost filled by the parking lots; there is nowhere to go for a decent walk. The only thing worse than staying in a hotel like this is staying when there are so many wonderful choices close by.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank dhoyle
Reviewed August 8, 2007

We stumbled onto this place after leaving Niagra Falls. It's not exactly located in Niagra on the Lake. It's about 10 minutes car drive away. It's a really nice drive though, through wine vineyards and a straight shot from the heart of town. The bed was super comfortable with a pillow top and the pillows were awesome, super soft. In the morning, we went the breakfast buffett, kind of pricey but worth it, they had fresh fruit smoothies and fresh squeezed orange juice. Soft robes in the room. They charge everything to your room which is really convenient, you can just walk around the resort and drink, etc. The staff was great, very helpful. There's also a Starbucks in the lobby, which was cool. We ordered room service really late at night, and it was a hot meal. I loved the place, wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2007

After a terrible time celebrating part of our 25th Wedding Anniversary in Holguin, Cuba what a pleasure it was to stay at this hotel. From Ashlee, who answered all my questions when I phoned to make reservations, to John, Supervisor at Front Desk , to Sarah who took care of special requests for our anniversary dinner, to the rest of the staff you all made this a memorable weekend. The extra little things you did to make this a special surprise for my husband will make this an anniversary he will never forget. We both enjoyed all the hotel had to offer and our only regret is that we didnot have enough time to spend enjoying the many things this hotel had to offer. We definitely will be back.
The Couple's Kickback Package that we took advantage of was just what we both needed. The grounds around the hotel were beautiful, the gym was great, room beautiful and relaxing, and food was excellent. As part of the package, we also got to enjoy a carriage ride through Niagara on the Lake with Brenda and Ben, the horse.

Reviewed June 21, 2007

this review is late in coming, I stayed at the white oaks to attend the Ice Wine Festival in Jan. 07. The place is great. I stayed in a jr. suite. It was spotlessly clean, and very large, I had a kingsize bed, sitting area, fireplace and unusual (I thought) for a spa a hugh heartshaped bath tub. Breakfast was included in the room I had a corporate rate, and you could get it room service or in the dining room. I ate in the dining room as I was travelling with others. The food was very good, although the breakfast off the menu was slighlty better than the buffet. Didnt have dinner in the restaurant, but appetizers in the lounge were good as were the drinks. I really liked having a Starbucks in the hotel, Although it was only open in the morning. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Did manage get a massage which was one of the best I had. The location is out of the way, but worth it. I would reconmend the White Oaks to anyone who is going to Niagra on the Lake.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple