My sister and I stayed at Queen’s Landing for a night over the Family-Day weekend, and found it to be a gorgeous, luxurious hotel that nonetheless felt charming. It is, however, VERY expensive, and we were very happy to be paying way-off-season rates. I'm not sure we would have loved our stay as much had we paid full price ($450/night)!
Our room (with two double beds) was very spacious and well-appointed, and absolutely spotless from top to bottom. The beds had pristine linens, tons of pillows and a plush, cozy comforter. There was a large desk with ergonomic desk chair, and another occasional chair with ottoman near a reading lamp in the corner. The room had a nice view of the marina and the Niagara River. There was a big flat-screen TV with a full channel line-up, and a CD player/clock radio with its own (bright) night light.
The bathroom was also spotless, with lots of handy extras like a hair dryer, magnifying mirror, scale (!) and more night lights mounted under the large vanity. There was a large soaker tub, which was great for hot baths after a day of sightseeing in the surprisingly cold and blustery weather. Plenty of towels and accessories (shampoo, soap, mouthwash, shower cap, etc.), and even terry bathrobes (which we didn't use).
We used the library/business centre (which has six computers for guest use) to check email and look up local info, and it was always pleasantly empty.
We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant (Tiara) the following morning and found the food pretty good, if pricey. But that's par for the course in any hotel dining room, really.
Our only complaint, and it’s relatively minor, is that the hotel doesn’t seem to enforce its non-smoking policy, or fully inform its guests that smoking is prohibited in/on the entire property.
We were happy to discover this policy when we checked in (we asked about it, the info was not offered up on its own), as secondhand cigarette smoke is always a pet peeve when we stay at hotels. We were told the entire hotel was a non-smoking property.
Unfortunately, in the evening of our stay, we could smell cigarette smoke very strongly in the second-floor hallway, and it was drifting in under/around our room door. We put a towel along the bottom of the door and notified the front desk, but the young man on staff seemed to think it was residual smoke from an incident the prior night. We knew it wasn’t and said as much, since we’d been in the hallway several times throughout the day and hadn't smelled any smoke at all previously.
It persisted through the evening. We completely understand it's difficult to locate exactly which room is responsible for the smoking, but perhaps if guests were informed, very clearly, of the non-smoking policy at check-in, and penalized (i.e., charged an extra fee) if caught smoking, it would serve as a deterrent and this wouldn’t happen. The fact that the front-desk clerk said they'd had a similar problem the night before indicates this wasn't an isolated incident.
Overall, though, we very much enjoyed our stay, found the hotel very quiet and conveniently located, and only wish some of our fellow guests were a little better at following the (admittedly not-well-publicized) rules.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stately Georgian-style mansion overlooking the scenic Niagara River and Lake Ontario. #1 hotel in Ontario on Conde Nast Gold List 2010 and CAA/AAA Four Diamond Award for dining and accommodations. Conveniently located just a short walk from the town's main street and Shaw Festival. 140 elegant guestrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Queen's Landing reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Queen`s Landing Hotel Niagara-On-The-Lake
- Queens Landing Niagara Lake
- Queens Landing Hotel
- Hotel Queens Landing