“Nice hotel, but put off by extra "resort charge"”
Review of Queen's Landing

Queen's Landing
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights while attending the Shaw Festival. This hotel is very well located for attending shows in the main theatre complex, and only a few minutes walk from the Courthouse and Royal George buildings. Rooms are fairly large, clean and well appointed. There is a shuttle available for people who are not up to walking to the theatre.
We didn't eat in the main restaurant at dinner, but breakfast there was rather mediocre, with a standard buffet or a la carte menu. Scrambled eggs didn't taste of much egg. More importantly, there was a most ordinary range of fresh fruit on the buffet - the Niagara area is renowned for its peaches, which are in season, but absolutely not one peach showed up on the buffet over the 3 mornings.
We were definitely put off by an extra $14.95 "resort charge" which appeared on the the bill for 3 days. This is an expensive hotel to begin with. For a 3 day bill that came to $1,000 (which included one light meal in the bar, and 2 drinks in the bar on another evening), an extra $45 may seem small, but it wasn't disclosed when we booked (over the phone with the hotel). This hotel is NOT a resort - it's a nice hotel, that's all. Apparently, WIFI was made free earlier this year, when the charge was instituted. This is a tacky way to turn a voluntary extra into a mandatory extra. Not impressed.

1  Thank Naomi R
GMQueenslanding, General Manager at Queen's Landing, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear valued guest: Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here at Queen's Landing. We always strive to impress all of our guests so we are dissappointed that you did not see the full value in your stay. Our resort fee includes hotel parking, wireless internet, daily newspaper, turn down service, access to our fitness area (as well as our sister property's fitness areas) exercise classes and daily resort activities. Our guests find tremendous value in these services and features and we are sorry that you did not.

We hope that you will come and visit us again in the future,

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I led an educational retreat at Queen's Landing recently - four days of intense meetings for a group of lifelong learners. From the start of the process - getting a proposal, through the contracting, planning and finally the actual stay, all Queen's Landing personnel were highly professional and always extremely helpful. The hotel itself is an excellent property - the location, the rooms, the food & beverage and the service. But the professionalism of the sales and conference services staff is what really made the difference: Sharon Barton and Laura Stoner made the contracting process seamless. Peggy Cernick and her conference services team could not have been more helpful both before and during our event. All of our needs and specials requests were met with a positive, friendly and effective response. Well done Peggy! Our event attendees loved the experience.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms right at elevator. Very noisy
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Hello John - I was so happy to read your review and hear again how pleased you were with your program here at Queen's Landing. It was a pleasure to meet you on site and hear about your future plans with our hotel. It was a pleasure hosting you and we are looking forward to seeing you again.

Sharon, Laura and Peggy all enjoyed working with you and we appreciate your compliments on their service. I will be sure to pass along your praise to them.

All our very best John - we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed at the hotel during the Premiers conference in July. The staff were excellent and very professional. As I was there working, the front desk notified me when my room was ready. The room itself was very well laid out and supremely comfortable. The buffet breakfast and lunch were amazing with a wide variety of foods and drinks. Very good service from the wait staff. Asked for special services for a meeting at 10:30pm and the staff had a room set up and provided tea and coffee and snacks on very short order. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: River view rooms are the best
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hello Jim - I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here at Queen's Landing. The Premier's Conference was such a huge success and we were thrilled to be a part of it. Hosting VIP delegates such as yourself is the reason that we are in the hospitality industry.

Please do come and visit us again for a pleasure trip when you can enjoy our property and our town.

Thank you again Jim!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

- very clean
- very well appointed with elegant furnishings
- gardens/grounds are immaculate!
- view from patio (overlooking marina) is gorgeous
- silverware in dining room
- food is awesome
- bedrooms well maintained, nice tub/shower, granite counter-tops in baths
- recommend the special packages "Lovin summer" with breakfast and wine

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
GMQueenslanding, General Manager at Queen's Landing, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Hello Richard - I wanted to thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Queen's Landing. I appreciate all the little details that you noted - the immaculate gardens, the silverware and the granite countertop. These are things that I too notice when I am travelling and they can make all the difference in a hotel stay.

We hope that you can come and join us again soon!

All my best,

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here on Aug 10. No early check-in, they made people wait around til after 3pm. Went to bar for lunch - extremely slow service. A/C in room was making loud noise- maintenance could not fix - had to change rooms. Requested white wine with my reservation package and when I got to room it was Red. Asked front desk to change it - they acted like I made the mistake not them. No apologies or compensation for the aggrevation of changing rooms or waiting for new wine to be delivered. Rooms are clean but definitely not premium. It had a fireplace, which did not turn on by the way and a jacuzzi tub in bathroom Shower stall extremely small for such a large bathroom. Beds are too firm, sheets are soft and luxurious. The doors to the rooms are a very tight fit so that everytime someone opened a door you could hear slamming late into the night- don't expect a good nite sleep. Breakfast was included in our package but buffet was not up to par. (cold eggs, undercooked bacon, sausages tasted like cardboard) I sent it back and ended up ordering from menu, which was much better and at least was hot. Hot tub area was closed for renovation - this would have been nice to know prior to reserving room. Pool area very small with almost no lounge chairs (4 in total - with only 2 avail outside - seriously - it was such a lovely day and would have been nice to sit outside - ooops..nowhere to sit. IMO, this hotel is way overpriced for what you get! Yes, and as others have mentioned, parking is a problem with all the weddings going on. If you expect a spot later in the day/evening, there won't be any! Waited for trolley in lobby and when it pulled up we went outside to catch it - it drove right by us. I guess we should have been waiting outside - but no where to sit.

2  Thank Lboom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Upon arrival, one would be taken away by the classic look of the building and surroundings. Nicely appointed rooms and amenities with a luxurious feel. You can really tell that a lot of planning went into the development of this hotel.

However, things fall short very fast. They are seemingly understaffed. Our dinner service took over 2 hours. I initially just brushed it off as they seemed busy.

The biggest annoyance and inconvenience was during the 2nd night. While trying to find parking on their private lot, I made multiple circles around also visiting the underground lot. I decided to park in the reserved section (not handicapped nor emergency). I had planned to stop at the front desk to inform them there was no parking. We had a shuttle booked to a winery which left 6:00pm sharp so I could not be late. Before I could even talk to any of the receptionists, I was stopped by a "manager" and immediately asked to move my vehicle. I had informed him that there were no more spots available on the premises.

Here is where things get very disappointing:

Considering he's in the line of customer service, one should assume that they apologize for the inconvenience (nope).

One would assume that a hotel would have sufficient parking for all their guests, especially those that are staying over night - I assumed wrong.

If he was listening, he would have understood that I made multiple trips around the lot. He offered to valet my vehicle (manual transmission). I'm not comfortable with an unfamiliar person driving my car especially if I'm unsure of their ability to do so.

If they were to valet the vehicle, it would definitely be off property. I would be hindered with the inconvenience of more time wasted and uncertainty of my vehicle's safety.

He had told me to check another back lot. Guest what, full.

The entire process took over 45 minutes on my so called weekend retreat. We were staying for 2 nights.

I had to find street parking on my own, return later in the evening and move my car again.

What a way to relax!

Some other hotels may not "look" as nice, but, at least they don't inconvenience those that are staying.

2  Thank Daniel C

Hello Daniel - We are sorry about the stress that you experienced in our parking lot during your recent stay. The reserved parking space is for our shuttle van that needs to be available for our guests who require assistance. We do have valet staff who are trained on standard transmission driving and that is why our Front Office Manager offered to have your car parked for you.

We are sorry for the inconvenience that you experienced in our parking lot.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our stay at the Queen's Landing Hotel for our 45th anniversary was wonderful. The highlight of our 3 day stay was having Jill as our server for dinner in the Tiara room on Saturday night. The food was exquisite, as one would expect, but the service that Jill gave us made it a magical evening. She was so helpful and had such a lovely personality. Her service went beyond professional, which she certainly was, in the very best sense of the word. You only get one 45th anniversady dinner, and Jill made it memorable !