“Great Hotel, even at 20 below!”
Review of Prince of Wales

Prince of Wales
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed at the Prince Of Wales for an overnight during the IceWine Festival. Check in was a breeze and our room was ready when we got there at 1 p.m. We had a King Suite with a jetted tub and fireplace and it was lovely, clean, ready and inviting. Loved the oranges and water on the table. The hotel itself is charming with lots of vintage feeling wood. It has a great bar and we went for a night cap after dinner. Breakfast was good, and we purchased the 17 dollar breakfast package with our room. You can do that at check-in and I would recommend this! When we got our bill, it would have been $135.00 for four, but it cost us $34.00 for two. Ask at the front desk when you check in. We sat at a window seat and enjoyed watching the white out conditions. (It is January in Ontario!). Check out was fast, there was wine tasting in the lobby and newspapers at our door in the morning. I love this hotel and it will be the one I return to in the summer when we go back.

Room Tip: King Suites are nice! Look for a deal on-line!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Truecam
Write a ReviewReviews (1,791)

Reviewed January 23, 2014

My mum and I stayed at the Prince of Wales between Christmas and New Year and had a fabulous time. The hotel is beautiful and the service was second to none. The guestroom was beautiful and had a fireplace which was much appreciated as the weather was very cold. The hotel was decorated for the holidays and the tone was very Victorian and so very tasteful. The restaurant was wonderful and we loved the bar too, Overall, i would recommend this hotel to everyone - it is a little on the pricey side but perfect for a special treat. The extra cost is worth it for the excellent service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank redemma007
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This really was a pretty room with gas fireplace and a four poster king size bed. Each day we received a bottle of wine and chocolates.
Breakfast was included and we also ate all the other meals at the hotel. The meals were good,not spectacular. The service staff are wonderful, attentive not intrusive. Just right for my comfort level.
We treated ourselves to afternoon tea. I had to ask for a new cup as mine came with a lipstick stain. Apart from that glitch, the food and tea were delicious. I recommend the afternoon tea.
The indoor saltwater pool is so nice!
We were able to afford this hotel because "travelzoo" had a good deal.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 2nd floor in the main building.The windows faced the park across the street.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2014

A terrific location and a wonderful city to visit. The rooms were quite nice in this hotel. Niagara on the Lake is a very special place with beautiful scenery, including amazing flowers on the street, views of Lake Ontario, the Niagara River, and lots of parks and open areas.

The multiple offerings of terrific shows from April to October makes trips to Niagara on the Lake more than extremely enjoyable. A great place to visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bills2018
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed New Years Eve. Room was nice though air duct was dusty & dirty and in need of cleaning. Bed was comfortable, however seating was limited to only one comfortable chair (sample room photo showed two). Room key cards would not work properly and had to be replaced. Dinner service was so so. Had barely received drinks when the appetizers were served. Service level dwindled after main course and was presented with bill before coffee/tea offered (which had to be asked for as it wasn’t offered). Express checkout bill showing double billing for dinner. Had to request over-charges be removed before checkout. Churchill Lounge would have been a good option for dinner. Service was very good in the lounge and prices were quite reasonable.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We just got back from a wonderful overnight stay at the Prince of Wales. We have stayed at this hotel several times, and have never been disappointed. Each time, a different room. This time we had a lovely suite, separate living room, bedroom, and spacious bathroom. The staff here is wonderful. Everyone is so friendly and ready to help, a real asset to the hotel. The fellow at the desk when we checked in even offered to take our bags to the room for us.
We always enjoy the pool, even though I don't swim, I love to "paddle" across the pool. It's a lovely way to finish the day, before retiring to our cozy room.
The beds are so comfortable, with lovely linens. Lots of towels in the bathroom, and even a towel warmer to get those towels ready for when you finish you bath or shower.
We didn't have afternoon tea this time around, but did have breakfast brought to our room. It was perfectly cooked, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, wonderful bacon, etc. A lovely way to finish our mini vacation.
I should also mention the fellow who brought our breakfast to the room. I believe his name is Juan. He is always extremely pleasant. Always a smile, good morning, is everything as ordered, etc. A very nice man indeed.
We also enjoy the location of The Prince of Wales. Just step out the front door and there are all the lovely little shops, and just a short walk up the street to the lake.
The hotel was also decorated so beautifully with Christmas trees, garlands, and wreaths.
We are looking forward to our return trip in the summer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ilovecuba_13
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I take a regular visit to the Prince of Wales hotel or one of the others in town every New Years week. It is my treat to myself once a year. This year I stayed on December 30. I arrived on a very cold day and the Valet took my car and offered to bring in my bag. I was anxious to just get in and check in so I took my own bag. There was a short line up to check in. The girl on reservations was extremely busy and she never once acted stressed by the fact that she was taking phone calls, helping people who had already checked in, helping other people check in etc. When I got to the point of checking in - the particular room I love and that I had requested months in advance (as an upgrade) was somehow not available. I was very disappointed. I went to look at the room I had been given and it was just not what I had my heart set on. I came back downstairs and tried for another room. Bobbi came to the rescue in order to help the young lady on reservations desk (sorry, I cant remember her name). Bobbi showed me another room which was fabulous and I was extremely happy with that. I got moved in and enjoyed every second. Dinner reservations were also made by me months in advance and re-affirmed the day or two before I arrived and when I arrived and had checked in. I made a point of requesting a table in the window seating area as I love to watch the people coming and going outside and I have an aversion to being in the middle of the room (high needs woman I know). So I checked with the gentleman in the dining room to make sure he knew I had repeatedly made this request and that I was planning on sitting in that area somewhere. He kind of flipped off my request with a , we will do our best. I did not understand how this could not be a solid confirmation, but after having done so much to ensure the setting I felt confident and went away. When my friend and I arrived for dinner - right on time - we were told that the window tables were all gone. I was very upset by this and we proceeded to try to find another suitable table near the windows. I was offered one that I could not manage and pointed to a small side table where you could not really see out the windows without staring at people who were sitting there, however that was that. I tell this story only because even with this disappointment, I did receive an apology and I was given a lovely white rose to help appease my frustration with the issue. Even with this little glitch, I must say it was handled well, and I would recommend anyone who wants a very special experience to go to the Prince of Wales.
I may never be able to afford that particular room again - it was a very wonderful surprise. I will however return every year that I can afford to do so to this beautiful property. This was my retirement gift to myself this year. What a way to go!
Ann

Room Tip: Read the website. Ask questions and know what type of room you want. All the rooms are wonderful...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo