“Always a pleasure!”

Prince of Wales
Aurora
“Always a pleasure!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We've been visiting NOTL each fall and staying at Vintages properties for the past 6 years or so. We've enjoyed each of the hotels for their unique offerings, but must admit that the Prince of Wales is our favourite. The staff are terrific and make you feel very much at home, the grounds in and around the hotel are stunning, and it is just a wonderful place to unwind and watch the world go by - with some wine, of course!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Baldwinsville, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Prince of Wales is our choice hotel in one of our favorite local destinations. Our recent stay was aided by a happy and helpful staff. Our room was upgraded from a standard king to a deluxe king suite that exited directly onto the Main Street and all the beautiful flowers and landscaping. A few hints for a most enjoyable stay;
1) Book and prepay well in advance. We have been shut out in the past by waiting too long to make a reservation. By paying in advance, we got a substantial discount.
2) Consider booking a package that includes either breakfast, dinner or both. We got a $50-60 value ( including HST) for a $34 add on for a substantial breakfast that was wonderful.
3) Kindly request both Internet access and free (comped) parking at the front desk when you check in. We were afforded both simply by making the request.

Of course being a return guest helps with the above. But once you've been to Niagara-on-the-Lake, I'm sure you to will become a repeat customer too.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

It was a beautiful ride from Niagara Falls to this quaint Village using the Scenic Parkway!
The Hotel was lovely although we were surprised the the south wing had no elevator. So carrying luggage is a bit too much work!
Our room was small but adequate, view of the parking lot was a disappointment! Linens were very nice and turn-down service with a rose left on the pillow was a nice "touch."
Business/computer room was adequate and charges for fax was reasonable but print should be free don't you think?
Churchill Pub was very nice and allowed us to unwind at night with an Irish Coffee! Restaurant was pleasant, breakfast package was a good addition to our reservation. Service a bit inconsistent during the breakfast hours. Some mornings the wait staff was more attentive than other days. Not very prompt with coffee refills that is for sure!
All in all this was a delightful stay and far better for us than staying at Niagara Falls where there are so many tourists!

• Stayed September 2012
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Hotel was fine all around but a few of the simple items really were a pain. I've run into poor plumbing in a few hotels, but when the toilet doesn't even flush, it's a bit of a problem. Terrible internet in the facility (or at least the room I was in).
To cap it off, had to leave a day early to get home to tend to sick kids, but hotel still charged me for the room. Said they couldn't do anything about it. Guess I'll have to give them 24 hours notice from now on when the kids get sick.
$250 + per night not worth the price for skinny hallways and old paintings on the wall. Would have been happier at the Best Western.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Alden P
Kelly E, General Manager at Prince of Wales, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
It is with true regret to learn of the experience you encountered during your recent visit to the Prince of Wales. Service and refined accomodations are the hallmarks of Vintage Hotels and of this iconic property, and we strive to deliver consistent service to each guest staying at our hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not feel our hotel met your standard.

Please allow me the opportunity to discuss these issues with you further. I can be contacted at k.exelby@vintage-hotels.com or directly at 905 468 1362 ext. 6545.

Kind Regards,
Prince of Wales Hotel & Spa
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Disappointed during our recent stay in August. The service, room and amenities did not come close to matching the price. Many details were missing and spoiled the visit for us.

We booked a deluxe room with a fireplace. Upon checking in, the fireplace did not work, nor did the television speaker in the bathroom. I contacted the front desk about both and they offered to have maintenance look into it, but I declined as we were only staying two nights. However, disappointment had set in. Considering how the hotel reputation and the premium you pay, we expected the amenities to be in working order upon arrival.

The condition of the room was just ok. It was clean, but had a lot of scuffs and dings around the walls and we were surprised to see one wall all chewed-up from one of the antique side chairs being repeatedly pressed up against it. Clearly, from the condition of the wall, it was not a one-time occurrence. I was very surprised that a property of this caliber would allow a room to remain in this type of condition.

The whole family was unsuccessful at getting the hand-held showerhead to stay in the “up” position, making enjoying a shower difficult. If this were a weeklong stay, I would most likely have requested a different room at this point, but it is such a hassle to pack everything up to move for a two-night stay.

At breakfast the dining room staff were unprepared for the breakfast volume at 10-ish on a Tuesday in August. We waited a while to be seated in a half-empty dining room, were seated at an unset table, and waited for some time to be greeted by our server. This experience only compounded our negative impressions.

We do a fair amount of travel, but we rarely treat ourselves to a four diamond stay or pay such a premium for a room. We had high expectations and feel that the bar was missed.

While the staff was friendly, I did not see the value for the money we paid. The stay was not awful, the room acceptable, but this is supposed to be a premium property. I'd recommend staying at a local B&B or one of the smaller inns, save some money, and enjoy the region.

At checkout, I was surprised I was not asked how my stay was. I did fill out a comment card, and when I received an e-mail confirmation of our check-out back home, I e-mailed the general manager about our experience. Considering the reputation of the hotel, and their own stated standards for service, I was surprised at not getting any kind of response at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tofermike
Kelly E, General Manager at Prince of Wales, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hello.

I would like to apologize for your less than satisfactory stay with us here at the Prince of Wales.

I certainly would like to speak with you personally so I can find out the exact room you were in so I can ensure that it is up to our standards.

I did pass on your comments to our Food and Beverage Manager to address your concerns within the dining room and also to our Front Office Manager as it is our standard to ask our guests how they enjoyed their stay. Our goal is to ensure our guests leave our property completely satisfied.

Again, I do apologize and would certainly like to apologize to you personally.

General Manager Prince of Wales Hotel & Spa
k.exelby@vintage-hotels.com
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I recently stayed at the Prince of Wales Hotel and the service, the elegant surroundings, and the wonderful dining room couldn't have been better. The service was impeccable. The first room assigned had an extraordinarily high bed and since I was recovering from a broken foot I asked the front desk for a lower bed. The manager of guest services Cooper Smith personally escorted me to show me two rooms and gave me my choice. I have stayed at the Prince of Wales many times before and this time was no exception with wonderful service, the most elegant surroundings, and a thoroughly delightful and enjoyable stay.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at the Prince of Wales for 4 nights on business and can't say enough great things about this hotel, its food and its staff. I can understand why they won the Travellers’ Choice Award for luxury, because they take the time to provide the little touches that make you feel extremely well looked after.

The rooms are sumptuous – soft carpeting – pillow top bed – lots of pillows (of different kinds) – complimentary fresh fruit waiting for you on arrival - a beautiful rose on the pillow every night. The bathrooms are a good size – very modern and clean – with a deep comfortable tub, a nice strong shower and a warming rack for the towels.

But it’s the staff that put this place over the top. The hotel seemed fairly busy to me and I never met anyone who wasn’t incredibly helpful and extremely friendly. From the housekeepers to the front desk to the folks taking care of our meeting room – cheery smiles and comments all around. Just outstanding.

I can’t recommend this hotel highly enough. Just splurge and go – you won’t regret it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AdviceLover
Thank you so much for your kind words.

Our team here at the Prince of Wales truly do try to make you feel special during your stay. We are very proud of this property and hope it shows through our interaction with our guests.

We do look forward to your next visit with us.

General Manager Prince of Wales Hotel & Spa