“It is truly a wonderful experience”
Review of Prince of Wales

Prince of Wales
Thunder Bay, Canada
“It is truly a wonderful experience”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel almost every year since 1990. It is expensive but I feel that the location (I have mobility issues) is just fantastic. On the same street is some truly amazing shop selling unique apparel, a wonderful store that sells jams, an amazing Christmas store and some very nice dining experiences...try the Chinese down the street. The front staff are gracious and always helpful. I did not try the afternoon tea as we were always full after lunch. There buffet breakfast (try to get this included in your room rate) is delicious. We tend to only stay for two days so we usually had dinner in the dining room and went to the bar for a glass of wine afterward.

Room Tip: I had a very large room which included seating for two
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed August 31, 2011

The Prince of Wales was our choice for a getaway anniversary weekend - quite pricey, but it was worth it to feel like royalty! The room was gorgeous, lovely and large. Bed was comfy, bathroom was huge. Everything spotless - service was excellent. All staff was very helpful. Only disappointment was the Maitre'd in the restaurant. We ended up not eating there because his attitude towards the people waiting was snobbish and arrogant. He berated another staff member in front of guests, and ignored the growing line of potential diners. After 10 minutes of this performance, we left.

Other than that, the weekend was everything we hoped for - the romance package with champagne and roses was lovely - and the hotel was accomodating about both an early check in and holding our belongings after checkout while we attended a play.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
MichelleGMPW, General Manager at Prince of Wales, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Dear MB W,
Thank you for your assessment of our property. I am pleased that the overall experience was favourable. I wish to apologize for the encounter you mention within the Restaurant. This is not acceptable to me and I am completely shocked. I would be grateful to hear from you personally at 1-888-669-5566 in order to collect additional information to address this situation.
I look forward to speaking with you and to having you return.
Again, thank you.
Michelle
glenview, IL
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend., our first visit to Niagara Falls.
What we did not realize was that the hotel is about a 30 minute drive back to the Falls and a car is needed. The town is small and quaint and worth a day trip to shop, dine , bike ride or visit the nearby wineries, but that is it. Most activities are back at the Falls area.
We arrived after 11PM and were welcomed by the hotel clerk ,who appeared a little upset that we arrived late and a security guard walked us to our room and like another review noted, did not help us either with our bags as we were guided to a section of the hotel on the 2nd floor that does not have an elevator. We carried our luggage up the stairs.
We were taken thru a hallway, thru a doorway that led upstairs and thru another door and it felt like a maze...it was a crazy route to get to our room. Our view was not worth opening the drapes each day so we kept them closed with some light still coming thru. The hotel could not accomodate our request to change rooms. The hotel room itself was beautiful, but the location was not good. Our recommendation to anyone staying here is to request a room with a decent window view towards the street or something pleasant before booking, and also close to exiting the hotel or you may be placed very far from the entrance. Breakfast was the highlight of our stay, as the options were plentiful and food was great. Not sure if we would stay in this area again as we would prefer close to the Falls, like the Marriott or Embassy Suites.
I felt the price of our room should have been valued on placement of where your room was as we paid highly for our room and the location was not good.

Room Tip: Request a room with a nice window view or you may get a parking lot or roof view...
1 Thank ziggiee
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Can't wait to come back to the Prince of Wales Hotel! Thanks to Hurricane Irene, our flight out of Buffalo was cancelled on Sunday. We decided to spend our extended stay here and were thrilled we did! The guest service manager went above and beyond to accommodate us. The room was extra clean and we had a great view of the park. Highly recommend this hotel! You won't be let down!

• Stayed August 2011
Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I am torn on writing this review. I thought the hotel was really nice- great location, excellent service and really had the old "antique" vibe going on. That being said I think what is making me question my stay at this hotel is because it was extremely overpriced. I can honestly say that I have had better stays at hotels that were half this amount- we paid an astonishing $350 CAD (not including tax, parking and the $20 pay-per-view movie we rented). When I got the bill, I was surprised to see that we had to pay for parking. It's not like we were in a busy metropolian city so that was odd. We ordered a pay per view movie at night because there really isn't too much else to do at night if you arent seeing a play- it was $15 plus some weird tax. Umm are we seeing it at the movie theatres...?

Can I say that it was a horrible stay? No. But for the price it was not anything to write home about. Some other things that grinded my gears were that even though we dropped $350, the room was still pretty small, and it was in the back of the hotel which you had to walk through specific hallways, making sure not to get lost. There was no elevator nor did anyone take our bags to our room. I thought the walls were pretty thin and there were weird old hotel night sounds. The view was the parking lot and the toiletry products they rave about on their site are not even that great. Everything was overpriced- they had "tea time" for $32/person (I think that was even the cheap option) and the lounge/patio outside was overpriced and made a bad ceasar salad. What else....

The few things that we did enjoy our stay were outside of the hotel- we took the "Niagara Vintage Wine Tour" which was fantastic and we hit up one of the local bars (my mom and I) at the Angel Inn which had a live band and a great atmospehere. That was one of the only happening places on a Saturday night.

All in all- I would not stay at this hotel again at the rate I paid. That being said, I am not sure if you are going to get much cheaper in Niagara on the Lake- I recommend doing a day trip...

Room Tip: Request a room not tucked in the back of the hotel where there is no elevator
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ilovedgreece
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed at this hotel this wknd, we were lucky and got the Travelzoo special for a room and wine tour etc. The hotel is just beautiful and i have never experienced such friendly/helpful and polite staff in my entire life and i travel all over the world. The rooms were surprisingly large (had a traditional room with King bed) and very clean, the toiletries excellent and again the staff were very friendly. The only negative i can think was there was a very odd smell in the south wing (we had room 153) that permeated into our room for our stay, not a huge deal but it was a very odd smell. We did not use the pool or excercise room but both were more then adequate. If you are a light sleeper i would def recommend ear plugs though as it can get noisy in the rooms. If you have the money i would def recommend this place (it is very pricey) but the service and staff are well worth it. Make sure you checkout the wall that leads to the pool area, it is just stunning as well is most of the decor (except for some very creep pictures). If you want to treat yourself this is the place to go.

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Stayed here for my wifes birthday whilst we were visitin Toronto and the surronding area.

A little more expensive than I would normally have chosen but it was a special occasion and it was a better option than staying in the Niagara chain hotels.

Really easy to find on the main road from Niagara Falls, the free parking is located around the back of the hotel and you can either walk through or round to the Reception.

Very impressive hotel, service is prompt and courteous. We had reserved a main hotel room with a view to the front road with the inclusive breakfast rate. The room was very impressive and an absolutely huuuggeee bed that stood about 4 feet off the floor, anyone shorter than 5 feet may need to use the wooden steps provided to climb in to bed.

The Inclusive Breakfast rate was worth pre-paying for as breakfast could get expensive, we spent more on the menu than we had paid before arriving.

The Carriage rides of NoL set off from teh side of the Hotel and their is an excellent Irish pub a couple of minutes down that same road, be aware that a non-imperial pint of beer costs about £6 GBP

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple