“peacefull,splended surroundings”

Copper Dreams Bed and Breakfast
Durham, United Kingdom
“peacefull,splended surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

this bed and breakfast is situated in the most pleasant of areas , which surrounds Niagara on the lake. beautiful rooms, great food, lovely hosts, A joy to stay there. situated behind the main street in a tranquil area.
visit as many places as you like, you will not be disappointed. There is something going on all year round. Including the wine tasting. Golf, and not forgetting the Trisha romance gallery.
looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: the location
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
timetravellor, Owner at Copper Dreams Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Nice to hear from England! It was so nice to meet you and so glad you could come and spend some time here with your friends and family.

You are so right, our location can't be beaten! Once you arrive in town you can park and we are just steps away from all the cultural, dining and shopping activities. Thanks for being so complementary - we have so many people who snap all kinds of pictures of our decor and ask for decorating ideas - one area I love to share experiences.

Now that you've been home a couple of weeks, hope you're planning you next trip back to Southern Ontario, and in particular, to Niagara-on-the-Lake!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Stratford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hello experienced and new B&B travellers!! I wanted to take the time to make sure everyone who is interested in booking a B&B in Niagara on the Lake calls Maddie & Bill at Copper Lane first...but call well in advance because they book up months in advance! My husband and I recently were married in Niagara on the Lake....this location choice was very much inspired by our experiences at Copper Lane. When we first met five years ago, we decided we wanted to have a romantic excursion to Niagara on the Lake for the weekend and thought we would try a B&B rather then a hotel....5 years later....we have returned to Copper Lane at least twice every year...Copper Lane become our home away from home and offered us so many lovely memories....so of course when we did book our wedding in NOTL...I also booked Copper Lane for the whole wedding weekend...Maddie & Bill opened up their entire home for my bridesmaids and I on the evening before the wedding, the day of the wedding for hair and makeup and the night of the wedding for the bridesmaids and their husbands...of course Maddie spoiled us all rotten all weekend! The attention for the past five years that we have received at Copper Lane has been top notch!! My mouth starts to water when I think about the 3 course breakfast that Maddie prepares each and every time we are there...and she makes sure to switch it up and accomodate my gluten free dietary needs! She always checks in advance to find out what we are craving! We have stayed in all three rooms....they all offer a different theme, vibe, experience...we love them all depending on our mood! I was really surprised to read the previous entry.....so far from the truth in my opinion.....I would rate Copper Lane 10 stars if that was an option!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
timetravellor, Owner at Copper Dreams Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
THANK YOU! Your wonderful words come at just the right time!

I was deeply hurt and confused regarding the previous review you were referring to as those same guests left a lovely message in our guest book saying their stay was "too short" and called us "home away from home". However, the positive side of it was motivating some of our many returning guests to offer a different viewpoint, and Copper Lane was their first review although I know they both have travelled across North America and some of Europe.

It has been amazing to get to know you from a young "new" couple, through your dating and many visits to the great engagement announcement. We were honoured that of all the places you could have chosen in your own lovely hometown, that you wanted to leave from our home to go to the church to make your lifetime commitment to each other. It was a wonderful experience to be part of your wedding plans, one we will always cherish.

You both are what makes owning a B & B so very special. You have become a part of our extended family. Can't wait until you return with your honeymoon photos, hopefully soon. Thanks again for your rating of "10", I will try my utmost to continue to deserve it.
Ballinafad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Copperlane many times and each time better than the other. We recently stayed there with friends who thanked us repeatedly. The hosts Bill and Madeleine are very friendly and gracious and always willing to lend a helping hand. Both were very knowledeable on the area and the events taking place. The home itself is nicely decorated in antiques and the rooms are spacious with 2 out of the 3 having ensuites. Madeleine's breakfasts were delicious and made to your liking. She asked before hand about any allergies etc..and dislikes/favorites of foods. They are located literally a hop, skip and jump from all the action. Overall a wonderful stay each time. You definately feel at home when you stay here!

Room Tip: The ensuite room upstairs is huge with a big jacuzzi tub. Has a t.v. in the room as well. The bedr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
We think our guests are awesome! We've been blessed with wonderful guests who we welcome into our home each and every day of the year!

So glad you like our mix of antiques and modern, I love the best of both worlds. And yes, we are a so close to everything in town, our guests do love our location. I'm so glad your friends enjoyed staying with us as well, what a great bunch you are! Looking forward to your next visit and anxious to meet whomever you'll bring with you next time :)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have stayed in this beautiful Bed and Breakfast three times. The Vanilla Bean is my favorite room and the other two are lovely as well. Copper Lane is the most comfortable and ellegant B&B that I have experienced. The location is perfect (so close to Main Street) and sitting on the front porch watching the horse and buggy go by in the evening (with a glass of wine) is heaven! The food was delicious and was more than I could finish. We didn't want for anything.

The hostess Maddie is very friendly and pleasant and so helpfull; making reccommendations and arrangements for us each visit. Do not hessitate to book this B&B, I reccommend it to everyone I hear is going to NOL. I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your kind words!

The Vanilla Bean Room is our daughter's favourite room while our son and his wife enjoy the Cocoa Bean most - so it looks like everyone has choice!

It's great that you return to us each year, as our guests become like family! So many of our guests, like yourself, find us and then return with their friends and take all three bedrooms and have the whole "guest" part of the house to themselves.

I really look forward to your next visit in the Fall, thanks for booking ahead!
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

It's quite amazing that so many B&B's get 5 star rating in NOL. This one has an overall 5 star rating and I'm at a loss for why that is.

We booked the Vanilla Bean Room (starts at $165). The room was on the main floor right off the porch. It was cluttered with too much furniture and very dark. Not much lighting in the room, especially if you want to read and you can't raise the blinds due to privacy issues.

We only stayed one night as our fave B&B was booked so we only had one breakfast here.

Probably the worst brekky we've ever had at a B&B. Soggy French toast filled with ricotta. Like trying to eat a wet sponge. This was served along with field greens. Not a good combo.We left most of it. Hostess just assumed we were small eaters.

At most B&B's we stay at the couple that runs it are very freindly. The hostess was quite friendly, but the husband would have nothing to do with us and slinked away every time we approached. Gave us a bit of a creepy feeling.

As the B&B are for sale I assume the couple have lost thier vigor for the business (if they ever had it).

I guess the capper was when the bill came I was charged $220 (including taxes, etc). On the confirmation that was sent to me at the time of reservation I was never told of the price of the room and assumed it was $165 as stated on the website. We went in May before the peak season.

Our fave B&B is $185 all in and is far far better than this one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
timetravellor, Owner at Copper Dreams Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I'm really sorry your didn't find your experience a 5 star as most of our guests do. I try my utmost to be a great hostess, which is why I took your one night booking when we usually require two nights anytime during high season.

Our website clearly states the Vanilla Bean room starts at $165 and is $195 from the beginning of our high season which is May 1st through until October 31st.. As you click on the date to reserve your room, it would clearly state $195 (as well as give you the tax amount which does come out to $220) for any day after May1st and most definitely for the end of May when you stayed.

The Vanilla Bean like all our rooms enjoys three large openable windows with both blinds to allow light control and full sets of curtains for privacy. Again, our description does say this room is on the main floor, right off the guest areas and so many people love this location on the ground floor.

Our breakfasts won't suit everyone's palate but I do go into great detail to make sure people are eating foods they enjoy. Our stuffed baked french toast is one of our most requested recipes for people to make for their own company. I hope you enjoyed your fruit first course and your dessert. So many of our guests have thanked us profusely for including some greens of some kind with their breakfast as it is so hard to fit them into meals while travelling.

As the B & B is my responsibility, my husband does leave the guests to me as I'm definitely the most chatty. Both of us would do anything to make our guests more comfortable and do go beyond most people's expectations!
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was our first visit to Niagara-on-the-Lake, and we were so happy that we booked at Copper Lane. We had a wonderful experience. Our hostess was so friendly and helpful, and a very good cook. She was also able to help with some dietary restrictions. We got great advice on activities and local hot spots (wineries). The B&B was in a heritage house that had been converted. It was cozy and charming, and exactly what we were looking for.

Room Tip: The Nutmeg Room on the second level has a full Jacuzzi ensuite. The Cocoa Bean room on the second l...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
timetravellor, Owner at Copper Dreams Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Always great to meet new friends from our western provinces! so glad you enjoyed our recommendations and thanks for the cooking comment. Just to let you know, the Nutmeg room has a two person soaker tub in the ensuite, complete with bubble bath!

Hope you both can come for another visit soon, there's lots more activities to do, special events to experience, beautiful nature to enjoy. And one day we will get Edmonton way to enjoy your special community!
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was so fortunate to have booked the Copper Lane. It is close to the Main Streets of Niagara on the Lake. The look of the house attracted me when I booked. When I arrived, I was warmly welcomed by Maddy, the owner. The 1871 house was so well appointed and well maintained. The decorating was so very charming. The room was lovely. It had a pair of leather tub chairs. The one wall was all books. The bathroom was totally up to date.

Before supper I had asked for a recommendation about a great supper place. Not only did she recommend a place to eat which turned out to be fantastic, her husband Bill and 2 other guests accompanied us. The conversation was so lovely. After supper we were offered coffee and tea. The wonderful socializing lasted until about 11:30. The stories told by all, were so much fun. Maddy and Bill are so very gracious!

Maddy asked if there were any diet restrictions at the time of booking. The breakfast was one to remember in a very positive way. I recall that 4 out of 6 of us had diet restrictions. With the complications of the restrictions, Maddy did not skip a beat.

The experience at the Copper Lane will be blazed in my memory as an amazing experience.

I will be back!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
timetravellor, Owner at Copper Dreams Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Why thanks! we had a wonderful time at dinner, at the house after and thoroughly enjoyed your entire visit. It's so easy with such nice guests and that's what make running a B & B so great! I hope you do get to come back again soon, we'd love to see you again and catch up!

And so glad you like both the look and feel of the place, that's what made us fall in love with it as well!