“Charming B&B”

Historic Lyons House
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was my first visit to Niagara-on-the-Lake and I decided to stay at a B&B rather than a generic hotel. I picked Historic Lyons House based on the location - a couple of blocks from the main shopping/restaurant area, the great garden in the back and the extremely positive reviews.

Jolanta and Howie were absolutely charming! Very warm, personable and entertaining - they are a wealth of information on the area, where to buy great pottery, or going to the lavendar store to recommending very tasty restaurants that weren't overly touristy. The breakfast they offer makes it worthwhile to get out of bed on vacation at an early hour (I'm a night owl) - they ask for everyone to join at 9 am which helps them serve breakfast to all the guests at once since it is just the two of them. I wish I had taken a picture of what they served because it was restaurant quality in taste and presentation! It was also such an abundance of food that I always skipped lunch.

The B&B itself is very clean, comfortable and elegant. I stayed in the Master Bernard Room which is the smaller of the three rooms but for a single person it was perfect. It faced the street but it was very quiet and not intrusive with car noise. You do have to remember a robe or covering if taking a shower since your bathroom is the one across the hallway...there's a small two piece en suite (sink and toilet) but having two bathrooms didn't bother me since it gave me plenty of elbow room. For those who like a leisurely bath, there's a jet tub seperate from the shower and a jar of bath salts to enjoy.

I booked the winery tour through Howie which made things easy since I didn't have to do more research on which tour group to use - figuring that they would only use a high quality one. All very convenient from booking it, to the tour to including the fee in the final bill.

Overall, I was so pleased I stayed here that I would highly recommend to anyone I know to stay here as well. It's a great location, close to amenities without being in the center of tourist chaos, plenty of parking, two friendly cats in case you're missing pets at home, lovely gardens to relax in after jet boating or shopping and lovely and gracious hosts that want to make sure you enjoy your stay 100%.

Thanks Jolanta and Howie!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Liv6610

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Lyons House has moved into first place on our best B&B ever list. While our expectations were met on "the usual suspects" - a clean, comfortable room, en suite bath, good location, parking - it was the "greatly exceeds expectations" that made the difference. The breakfasts were first rate - eggs Benedict with fresh fruit and croissants the first day, blueberry pancakes with bacon and a yogurt fruit cup the second day. Coffee, tea and juice regularly topped up. The hosts were extraordinary - welcoming, friendly, eager to make your visit the best it could be. We are quite familiar with Niagara-on-the-Lake, having made dozens of day trips over the years from our home across the river in Buffalo, NY. Howie's and Jolanta's local knowledge gave us added insights that contributed to a perfect getaway weekend - golf, bicycling, shopping, strolling, winery stops, a Shaw play, and fine food and drink. We will, of course, be back.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RickSwist
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed here last fall with another couple. The B&B is beautiful, very clean and convenient to shops and restaurants. The breakfasts were amazing. The owners are very nice and helpful (gave us tons of wine sampling cards); however, Howie is kind of pushy and intrusive. He wants to plan the perfect itinerary for you, which is probably fine for people who haven't researched the area. But for me, I love planning trips and have been to NOTL every year for the past 10 years, so we know what we want to do. We felt slightly uncomfortable and not at home. Also, the rooms were tiny and our bathroom was very small.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tropicaltammi
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My partner and I came to celebrate my birthday and do a little winery touring. Howie and Jolanta were simply marvelous hosts. Let me count the ways.

-Great at corresponding prior to the trip to nail down details.
-Kindhearted and generous people. Jolanta is complete sweetheart. Howie is like your favorite gruff but indulgent uncle.
-They're wonderful to chat with but they know their boundaries, too. That's huge. I find that a lot of B&B owners will talk your ear off or ask nosy questions or infringe on the time you'd rather be spending on your vacation. These guys are lovely and social, but very polite about giving you space.
-They have two gorgeous, friendly cats who don't spend time in the bedrooms, but will nuzzle you for pettings.
-They're great chefs who cater to people like my partner, who implodes when she ingests dairy products.
-They let us borrow their bikes to go on a wine tour of the area. Saved us $50, and Howie was very Dad-like about adjusting the seats and saddlebags for us.
-They gave me a really delicious birthday tart with a candle in it!! Unprompted. So lovely.

The house is beautiful. You can feel its history, but they've done a great job keeping it cozy and comfortable without compromising the heritage. I really recommend getting the smaller room upstairs, because then you get the huge and impressive bathroom across the hall all to yourself.

Room Tip: Get the small room that includes a separate bathroom. Room is small but bathroom is awesome.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grammar H
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This has been an incredibly relaxing stay again. Our visits to Niagara on the Lake would not be as wonderful as they were if not for our gracious hosts, Yolanta and Howard. The historical Lyons House is full of charm and elegance, starting with the gourmet breakfast and ending with a stroll around their beautifully serene and landscaped gardens. Our host Howard takes the time to plan our stay with scenic bike tours, visits to wineries, boutique shopping, the theater and recommending the best restaurants for lunch and dinner. We also loved our refreshing walks around the lake and viewing all the lovely historical homes. If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing, but fun filled getaway for a weekend or longer, this is definitely the place to go and stay. Thank you, as always, Linda and Walter.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank linda h
Reviewed July 6, 2014

This was our second year staying at this charming, historical B&B. We have recommended it to many of our friends who have also enjoyed it. We love the gracious hosts, the ideal location, the very comfortable and beautifully decorated bedroom, the gourmet breakfast and the overall, outstanding experience! Look forward to our next year's visit. Thanks.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Josette S
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I visited the Lyons House on June 18-20 of 2014, It was our first visit there. The house was very beautiful inside and out, we just loved the feel. Howard and his wife were both amazing hosts and awesome cooks, they would help us plan each day so that we could maximize our visit. We had such a great time there visiting the wineries, riding bikes and just relaxing. The bed and breakfast is just 3 blocks from town, was easy walking and we felt very safe coming back at night. We hope that we can start to make this a yearly tradition, I would highly recommend this to our friends and family.
Larry & Diana