“Great Steak”
Review of Grill on King

Grill on King
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill on King is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Whitby, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Steak”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This restaurant was a great find as it offered excellent food, good service and a good atmosphere. Both my girlfriend and I had the New York Striploin which was an amazing quality and cooked perfectly. Compared to some of the very expensive dining options in the Niagara-on-the-Lake area, Grill on King was a great choice at a more reasonable price.

New York
“Go elsewhere, or at least avoid the shrimp”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had a Sunday dinner here. It was highly recommended by the owners of the B&B at which we were staying. My wife and I started by sharing a Field Green Salad, which was quite good, with a tasty raspberry vinaigrette dressing. For our entrees, I had Tagliatelle Carbonara, and my wife ordered Shrimp Risotto. My dish was very good. My wife complained to me that her dish was not seasoned properly: the shrimp were tasteless. She added salt and asked for additional grated parmesan. However, it was still not satisfactory. The shrimp were soggy and tasted as if they had been frozen and thawed and put onto the risotto with no further attention or seasoning. No subsequent tinkering could revive them. She liked the risotto, but not the shrimp which were the most expensive part of the dish. She left half of them untouched, and when the server asked how everything was, my wife told her how unsatisfactory the shrimp were. The server apologized and said she had heard similar complaints before about the shrimp and had told the chef about them. She said she would do so again. My wife went to speak to the manager about the problem; she said she would speak to the chef.

After we received the check with no adjustment made, my wife went to speak to the manager again. The manager claimed that the chef had never before heard of any problem with the shrimp and, in any event, they would not make any adjustment unless the dish had been sent back. I am not in the restaurant business, but it seems to me that there is a broad range of appropriate responses to a customer dissatisfied with a dish, especially where the server has confirmed past problems with it. The Grill on King chose not to use any of them. My wife got the definite impression that the only real result would be that the server would be reprimanded.

The next morning, at our B&B, we met a young couple who were fellow guests. It turns out that they had also dined at the Grill on King the night before, and the husband had also gotten the shrimp risotto. He had the exact same reaction to the dish, that the risotto was good but the shrimp was limp and tasteless. While he did not complain, he overheard the manager responding to other customers, and was taken aback at her uncaring attitude.

The Grill on King is not an inexpensive restaurant, and I would have hoped that it would have had a better response to customer dissatisfaction. There are a lot of restaurants in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and I suggest that many of them serve better food, and provide better responses when they don’t, than Grill on King.

• Visited August 2013
“Bad & inappropriate customer service esp. for families with children.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our waitress made a comment about not wanting to serve children as we had my neice & daughter, but she had to be tamed by the bartender. This was only later revealed to us upon paying the bill. Then when asked to break a $20 they said it could not be broken by 2 wait staff. Did they expect a $20 tip when the waitress made inappropriate comments against children? How obnoxious. She needs a class in customer service or gain some class. We would never go back there again and would not recommend anyone with children to go there. The only saving grace is their food is good.

East Amherst, New York
“Pleasant Dinner”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I ate at the Grill on King for dinner during our stay at NOTL. We had made reservations due to the fact that it is busy season for the area. We were seated on the patio right away and really enjoyed the ambiance.

We ordered the Calamari for an appetizer which was very good. It was not traditionally battered and fried like you see in so many restaurants, but pan seared and served with a spicy mayo dipping sauce. A nice twist on the norm!

My husband enjoyed his Ribeye steak with garlic mashed potatoes, while I chose the Orange Roughy with rice in a lemon creme sauce. Both main dishes were delicious, but we both agreed that our veges were a little under-cooked. We are not picky eaters, so we ate them despite the "crunchiness".

Dessert was excellent... NY Cheesecake with berries and the Chocolate Truffle.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great meal while visiting NOTL.

We

“Amazing!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We had an amazing dinner at the Grill on King. Our steaks were cooked perfectly and the dishes were beautifully garnished. The crab cakes and wine were delicious. The restaurant is decorated elegantly and the service was wonderful! We will definitely make reservations next summer when we return to the beautiful Niagara on the Lake..;)