“Great Restaurant!”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I had dinner at The Old Winery earlier this week. It was a wonderful experience. Both the service and the food were superb. I had a thin-crust pizza which was delicious and my wife's veal dish was very tasty. We really enjoyed our dining experience at The Old Winery and would definitely recommend it.

1  Thank Chuck M

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We were in NOTL for an event and saw the website for the Old Winery Restaurant. The website gave the feeling of a warm, cozy space in an older building. It appears to be a somewhat new building on the main street heading into town. It has the high ceilings with exposed mechanics. There was a pizza oven area, bar and the restaurant tables all in one open space. It was perfectly fine but not the cozy atmosphere I thought it would be. We were seated against the back wall where there was a noticable draft from ceiling. We ordered their soup of the day which was Minestrone and one of the wood fired pizzas. The soup was heavily tomato based and was closer to a tomato bisque then Minestrone. The Gamay pizza had a very thin crust with sausage, mushrooms, tomato sauce and cheese. It was very tasty. Service was very good. Overall I would recommend the restaurant for a casual lunch or dinner.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were staying at a B&B just up the road, so this was a convenient stroll for dinner. It was a Friday night and we didn't have reservations. The place was hopping but we got lovely table for two. It was dark outside, so I can't comment on the view.The decor is what you might call upscale chic roadhouse. We thought there was supposed to be live entertainment, which might have been fun. If there was, it must be somewhere else in the building (I guess the wine bar isn't the bar that's in plain sight) and no one asked if we wanted to be wherever that was. We didn't have our hearts set on it, so we didn't bother pursuing it.

In any event, I had the black and white shrimp and clam linguini, which (as the server had told me when I asked) packed some spicy punch. It's probably not for everyone. The shrimp were large and delicious. My friend had the veal parmigiana, which she enjoyed. The prices were definitely reasonable for the quality and portions. The service was attentive enough for my liking.

While there was nothing I can point to as being bad about the meal or the experience, it just doesn't stand out for any particular feature, either. So I'd say it's probably a safe choice for an enjoyable meal.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great place for casual dining with a good vibe going. Food is good and well served. Decor is very cosy.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I visit Niagara-on-the-lake once at least once per year and this was the first time we ate at The Old Winery. We are easy going so we wanted something casual and after a few hours of wine tasting, pizza sounded perfect! It was suggested that we make a reservation so we did. Despite the reservation, we were seated at a table right by the door with a very, very bright light right above us. The lighting in a restaurant is so important and at The Old Winery, it is inconsistent. I know this sounds picky, but the light bulbs were noticeably different and it really made the lighting seem off. So, we asked to be moved away from the door and the super bright light and the hostess gave us attitude and was not keen on moving us, but finally agreed. The restaurant was busy, but not packed for a Saturday night. The pizza was excellent, but they need to work on the service as well as the atmosphere. Because of the way the hostess treated us and the length of time it took for our waitress to take our order, we almost walked out. Our service was very inconsistent. I will really have to feel like pizza to go back.....