“MEDIOCRE FOOD GREAT SERVICE”

Guru Fine Indian Restaurant
Ranked #148 of 578 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The perfect mouthful. Bright and fresh. Rich and delicate. Sharp and pungent. It is what makes eating enjoyable. They can be as diverse as the people who experience them. Like a harmonious synphony to the ears, or a picturesque painting to the eyes, Tastes can change moods and get through to your very soul. We at The Guru Fine Indian Cusine strive to make every taste, one that is worthy of memory. It is the end-goal of our endeavors. Our menu stays true to the true tastes of North Indian cuisine, and will take you on a journey with authentic flavours.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Food was mediocre, cannot say the best Indian food. The wash room is not maintained. The service was great. Funny part is that they add the gratuity to the bill directly. It is on the expensive side but for the tourist spot attraction it is understood. Lighting is very dim, need to improve the Ambiance.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This place was recommended by some locals. We were craving some proper indian veggie food and this place hit the spot. They had a great selection of veg dishes including paneer, daals, etc. it had a good selection of meat dishes too. The service was great, the food exceptional so I highly recommend this place. But it was so very busy. Booking is essential.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Went there with kids and we loved the food. The butter chicken was spicy, for what I know butter chicken is not spicy, the kids did not finished... overall the food was good. I did not like the decors...it was really dark..it needs refurbishment

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Now pensioners, we have eaten in east Indian restaurants all our lives in many parts of the world. We cook our own also, we like it so much. In Niagara Falls for a mini-vacation we bumped into someone in the casino who heard we were looking for good Indian food and recommended Guru, so it was our first visit. We have been in fancier restaurants, taking nothing away from the nice decor at Guru, but my wife and I are both agreed that this was the best east Indian food we have ever had in a restaurant, it was that good. The portions were generous, the flavours were excellent and of the kind you enjoy with the very best of Indian food.
We began with two different soups, a shared dish of two large vegetable samosas, then the main course. My wife had a lamb roghan josh, I had a chicken vindaloo. As accompaniments we had a naan bread, a paratha and a plate of onion sambal. Everything was superb with really good service by our young waiter. I in particular have a very healthy appetite and I did not leave in any way hungry.

If I have any criticism, it is that they initially provided unheated plates for the main course as so many restaurants inexplicably do. We immediately sent them back asking for warmed plates which were delivered very promptly.

I highly recommend Guru if you are in Niagara Falls and want a great Indian meal. I regret that we live half a world away, too far to cash in on such a great find.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Second visit to Guru and it confirmed my opinion to avoid this place. I will put this review in two parts (1) Attitude of the people serving (2) Food itself.

The manager-cum-owner (?) of the restaurant has loads of attitude which reflects on her staff as well.When we entered the restaurant with my mother on wheel-chair, she promptly came and said to either fold the wheel chair or take it out. Both these things were not possible since we were not having the car nor the chair was foldable. Only thing I could offer was to go out and explore other places. It was then she removed other stuff from the entrance and made some space (wonder why she could not have been polite and empathic first instance itself!) This behavior with the irritated voice and expressions set the mood off. The furniture is all broken (there is a difference between antique and broken, as I understand) with flies on the table. The server on the table had no idea about the ingredients of the food and here was she again - the manager. While we enquired about specifuically on whether Saag-Paneer is with Spinach or Mustard leaves, she replied with the same tone " We do not know. It is only the chef who knows what is being cooked and how!" Great. While requested for Chef, she promptly said this is spinach. Note: All the way she was talking in native Hindi Language with my parents but said she does not understand what Spinach means!!

Any ways, Lunch arrived after 20 minutes (since we were told it has to be prepared fresh and without garlic). Every third minute, another server will come and ask if we need anything or are we done? Understandable since it was crowded but that is not the way to ask your patrons to leave. They backed off when I offered to leave the food, pay and Go. Food was OK, nothing great. I guess the only reason for the crowd could be for one reason - there is no decent restaurant on the busy stree of Cliffton Hill. If one wants much better service and taste of original food, try one on Stanley Avenue.

I will not want to go to places where a customer is treated obligation instead of being welcome. When in service industry, there are norms and expectations.

5  Thank Pankaj S