“Not Quite As Good As They Think They Are”
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

Sterling Inn & Spa
Ranked #2 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a 2nd floor deluxe suite for four nights last week. When we arrived a
coldly efficient front desk woman rattled off the ins and outs of the hotel for us. Our room was huge, and very clean, with very modern décor, but seemed designed more for form than function.
For instance, the electrical sockets in the room were placed inconveniently behind furniture, the telephone was placed on a small table next to the bed instead of on the desk across the room. And the housekeeping was always a surprise, even though we left a tip for the maid each day. The first night I had to take 2 bath towels from the maids cart in the hall and ask the front desk for more than the four hangers (for two people) that were in the closet. The second morning, I had to ask for two wash cloths. The third day, again no washcloths, and this time no bath matt, but two robes were laid out on the bed when we came in for the evering. When I finally brought these things to the attention of the front desk, the woman admitted that I should have had robes provided all previous days. And as for all the missing items, she simply stated that "sometimes we run out". I can accept that lame excuse at a Motel 6, but not at a Spa that charges high
prices and prides itself as being "exclusive'. But the spaciousness and cleanliness of the room, the daily morning free in room breakfasts, and quietness of the hotel made up for the unfriendly front desk and incompetent housekeeping.

Room Tip: 2nd floor would be better because there are no rugs dampen the sound of feet for the first floor g...
1  Thank Ray B
There are newer reviews for Sterling Inn & Spa

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I needed some time alone for ourselves, and the Sterling really delivered!
We booked the "Essential of Niagara" package, which was perfect. The room itself was simply huge with a gigantic jacuzzi (no kidding, it took me ½ hour to fill the darn thing!) and big shower. The breakfast was delivered every morning to your room, simple but complete, though I'll admit it got old fast since it was the exact same thing on the 3 nights we stayed there...
Location is great, you're one step away from Ferry street, which is a very busy street that leads right to Clifton Hill, yet at the same time you're not directly on the action so it's not noisy. Also free parking is a nice plus!
You also have free WiFi in the room, though ours was sometimes troublesome, where it would disconnect in the bed area and we would have to head back to the little sitting area in the entrance of the room to get it back on.
With the package came a tour of Niagara-on-the-Lake wineries with lunch in the historic Charles Inn included. The tour was amazing, the guide was funny and extremely knowledgeable and we really had a blast.
Also in the package is a tasting meal at their AG restaurant, with the wine pairing, The restaurant is one of the best tables in the area, with a menu that is sourced with local ingredients. And since it's directly on the premises you can just "roll yourself" back to your room at the end of your meal!
We also tried the spa (the "reconnect package" was nice with a couple's massage and mud bath, plus a glass of wine) and it was very nice,
Really we would recommend the place to anyone, and don't have much to say in terms of negatives, besides like I mentioned the lack of change in the breakfast. Also you decide the night before at what time you want it delivered, sometimes it came in about 10 minutes late (it's not a big deal, but something you might want to take into account if you're pressed for time in the morning)
Overall we would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We had room 109, huge room on the first floor with sitting area + king bed, comes with a jacuzzi. A...
1  Thank goua2503
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great place to stay for couples if visiting Niagara Falls. Breakfast delivered to your door daily. Clean rooms! Awesome jacuzzi suite. Not really a family hotel since the rooms are open. But great place to stay for a couple's weekend getaway.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David N
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed 3 nights on the reviews from tripadvisor. Overall the décor wass very modern but upon closer inspection, the suite needed a little bit of an upgrade. We had the deluxe suite on the first floor. The hardwood was very nice but slightly dirty (small lint balls) along the edge of walls. All the furniture look very modern but lots of chips on them. There were some marks on the walls and ceiling. You could tell it was very nice when it was new and I suspect that it was quite a long time ago. The in room safe did not work and the explanation was they were in the process of changing them. There seemed to be a thin layer of dust on the surfaces so either the suite hadn't been used for a while or it wasn't properly cleaned. However, it was not that bad that I would complain.

The mini fridge was a nice bonus. The continental breakfast was big enough to fill you however it was the same every morning. I wished they had more of a variety. Because we were on the first floor, we could hear people walking upstairs even though the room had high ceiling.

The large size of the suite, free parking and the closeness to Clifton Hill were definitely a plus. We could walk to all the attractions within 5 minutes. I think I had expected a little more because of the great reviews I read. However, all the negatives were easily fixable so hopefully they would be doing that soon enough.

1  Thank Christine C
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We chose the Sterling Inn based on reviews and price. The hotel was in reasonable walking distance from the falls. We liked the fact that it was a small hotel and was extremely quiet. Upon arrival we were greeted with a forced smile and minimum conversation. We felt as if we were bothering them. There was no one behind us so time was not the issue. Our room was on the first floor. We were impressed with the large size, cleanliness and the comfort of the king size bed. Two out of three nights we had to ask for hand towels and washcloths which we received promptly and with an apology. The European style breakfast delivered to our room was a nice touch. Overall we would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

1  Thank TuckerG124
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at the sterling inn for one night at the start of October. It was a rainy weekend but it was nice to come back to our room and warm up in the steam shower and the gas fire place was nice as well. Our room was quite large and modern. We stayed on the second floor, which was nice. You could see the old ceiling beams which added something different. Although that night it rained and you could hear the rain hitting the roof. Not as loud as a tin roof, but still loud-not for light sleepers. Our air conditioner fan was quite loud and rattled when it turned on. Breakfest in bed was a nice touch, nothing big, but enough to get us going. Recomend staying here if you want a kid free stay in Niagara. Beds are hard and quite high, but we still had a good sleep.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I chose the Sterling Inn and Spa for a trip to Canada with my partner. Unfortunately, the hotel did not live up to the reviews I had seen online. The reason I give such a low score is mostly in part due to the RUDE staff. Upon arriving, we did not feel welcome at all. The man at the desk was cold and careless. Simply asked for our information and had us fill out some paperwork. We asked to switch the card the reservation was on and were told to just do it at checkout, as if we were wasting his time.
We made it to our room, which to their credit, was beautiful. There was a lot of space, the steam shower was perfect, and everything was clean. Since we passed the border, we shut our phones cellular data. I purposefully picked the Sterling Inn because of the free wireless internet. We were in a room on a far end of the hotel and could not connect. The front desk had no help to offer and did not even apologize. I don't think they should advertise free wi-fi if it's not available in every part of the hotel.
We went out for dinner and, as advertised, everything was basically in walking distance. We opted for a less expensive option than the hotel's restaurant. We brought back leftovers which fit in our fridge. Later that night we were able to heat them up at the front desk. We also ordered some drinks via room service which arrived promptly.
Upon checkout, we again asked to change the card. The woman was nice about it and switched our cards. They had some hidden fees that were not made clear in the beginning (I know I should be aware of the fine print but most hotels I stay at are up front enough to at least tell you before payment).

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the center of the hotel. Be sure to request your jacuzzi or steam shower...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay D, Manager at Sterling Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear valued guest,
Thank-you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Sterling Inn & Spa. We appreciate your honest comments. I apologize that our front desk agent was not welcoming upon your arrival to the Inn. We fell short in providing our Sterling service and once again I must apologize for this issue. It is nice to hear that you were able to walk to local attractions and restaurants during your stay with us. We do offer free WiFi, parking and breakfast in bed complimentary at the Sterling Inn & Spa. As well as free local calls. As far as additional charges during your stay with us, we must charge the 13% Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) which is a consumption tax in Canada and well we charge a 3.39% (DMDF) Destination Marketing Development Fee. Should you like to discuss your stay with us further, please feel free to contact me.
Best regards,