“Amazing stay & free parking !!”
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

Sterling Inn & Spa
Ranked #2 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Montreal, Canada
“Amazing stay & free parking !!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

When we first got there we weren't too impressed because the streets surrounding the hotel are pretty dull. The hotel itself is very small. We checked in and the lady at the front desk was very nice. We had a room on the first floor and did not have any issues with noise. However, I did find they were cleaning all day, vacuuming the whole time we were in the room. The room had a long hallway, i guess to insure if there is noise it won't travel all the way down the hallway. The bathroom was huge and so luxurious! The jetted tub was huge and the shower also, both amazing. We had a king bed which was comfy, but my boyfriend found it a little hard. Some other reviewers said they found their bed hard too. They tell you you have a choice for breakfast but not really. Its either a tiny cup of orange juice or apple juice. It was pretty good though, but if I had to eat that every morning I would probably go else where. For one day it was okay, especially considering it was complimentary. The only thing that bothered me is you get to choose the time. We said 945. However she came at 9. Not that big of a deal but it was for me. What is the point of choosing a time when you do not follow it. It was Very nice to have free in room wifi which worked well, considering some hotels charge you $13 per night.. Like the Marriott..

The hotel location is great too. 2 min walk to cliffton hill area and 15 to the canadian falls. The best part is THE FREE PARKING!! i was soo happy to find that out. Other hotels will charge you $30 ! Its a really great hotel for the price. I wasn't too impressed with the cracked lights beside the bed and the button for the fireplace was really dirty and disgusting. Overall this is a great hotel for a great price though, the free parking and location makes it a must! We also stayed at the Marriott Fallsview and Spa (the better Marriott) on our second night which is on the opposite side where the canadian falls are. It was super also! Feel free to check out my review on that one also.

Attractions - just to give you a bit more info about Niagara falls

Even though cliffton hill seems "kidish" my boyfriend and I had a great time. ( We are in our twenties ) Definitely recommend getting the fun pass for $25, even if you dont go to all the attractions that are included, you still save money. The SkyWheel is great. You get two admissions so it is best to go once in the day and once at night. It's open pretty late. The was museum is pretty good, at the end you have the choice of going to the exit or going through a "haunted house" part.. Which was terrifying! I ran right through it, was pretty long actually. The galaxy gofl was a huge disappointment. It was cool the glow in the dark, but all the holes are the same, just with different objects. The ghostblasters I found really fun, you go on a ride and shoot at monsters with a laser gun. My boyfriend really enjoyed the 6D motion movie theater. It's pretty cool actually, it's a simulator of a rollercoaster ride. Very well done. You also get Tokens for the midway arcade which is really fun. You need a lot of tokens to get a decent prize though!

Also, two good restaurants are the Skylon Tower and HardRock cafe. We went for the Early Dinner at the Skylon Tower, which is $30 and you get a delicious garden salad, choice of an entree (I got the beef tips -- AMAZING!) and a chocolate mousse. Really impressed. They also gave us a piece of a caramel cheesecake because it was our 2 year anniversary. All the workers are soo nice!! Especially Dan! Very nice guy. I feel like he really went above and beyond for us. You also get to go to the observation deck for free since you ate there, which is very convenient.

Hope I was helpful in my review.

3 Thank KimBalaya897
Lisa B, General Manager at Sterling Inn & Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2017
I am delighted to hear that your stay with us was a success. We are certainly proud of the level of service our team is able to provide and I am glad this was reflected in your experience. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments. From all of us here at the Sterling Inn & Spa, we wish you safe travels and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Yours in Hospitality,
Lisa Baumgartner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Arabic first
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We recently stayed two nights at the Sterling Inn & Spa and had a wonderful relaxing time. We really enjoyed our visit but there were a few things that if they were different could have made it a 5 star visit.

First off we did not receive any kind of a warm welcome from the two ladies at the front desk when we checked in. It seemed like both of them were hoping we would go the other one for help.

The second thing that was a little bit of a surprise was that they wanted a $200 deposit. This is really something that you should let your guests know when they call to book the hotel.

Thirdly and this may be a bit picky but we were not a fan of the breakfast. Maybe it's because I would prefer eating in a dining room at a table (there was not a table in our room for two people to eat at). Also they served the same items both days, maybe would have been nice to change it up.

Now the many wonderful points of this establishment;

The late afternoon/evening and the night clerks (two gentlemen) were wonderful! So friendly and helpful, and always acknowledged us as we walked by (the ladies in the daytime NEVER once made eye contact, smiled or said hello to us after we checked in).

The spa is fantastic! Best facial I ever had with a wonderful foot massage and arm/hand massage. My husband never had a facial before and Nicole made him feel very comfortable and he really liked it and said he would go back. We also had massages and really enjoyed them as well (thanks Nicole, Tim & Tracey!).

AG Cuisine is truly a 5 STAR restaurant! The décor, ambience and most importantly the food and service were amazing! My husband had the beef tenderloin and I had the beef tenderloin with the hand rolled pasta and both were mouth watering. The service was spot on perfect.

The room was quite beautiful and very large. Very modern and we really liked the hard wood floors. The best feature was the steam shower and the second best was that we had a large balcony with chairs to relax on.

We will definitely be back for another visit and would definitely recommend this hotel/spa/restaurant to our friends.

Room Tip: We really like the 2nd floor with the balcony. We had neighbors on both sides but never heard anyth...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vanessaamore
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2013

It is quite amazing that this motel attracts people they way the run their operation. The front desk with manager Rhonda do not seem to understand how an INN & Spa should be run. My wife and myself had reservation cancelled twice. The first time, mistakes happen, but a second time shows disregard for the customer. Their priority is to fill rooms, no matter if prior arrangements were previously made. If you can get a few extra bucks from someone else, why not right? Screw your existing customers.

The one time we did manage to stay at this motel without our reservations being cancelled, we found it okay. It really is nothing special, we did have a promotional price, but if we were to pay full price don't bother. For the money this place charges, go up the road twenty minutes, to Niagara On The Lake and avoid the aggravation. You will get treated MUCH better and avoid the unsightly views where Sterling is located. The location is quite run down and unappealing to say the least. The only redeeming factor about this joint is the restaurant, AG Cuisine. It is very good, the chef knows what he is doing. The restaurant and motel are run separately from what I understand, which makes sense.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Bill B
Lindsay D, Manager at Sterling Inn & Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank-you for your review. I apologize for the confusion with your reservations at the Sterling Inn & Spa. If you could please contact me I would like to discuss the issues stated in your review in further detail.
Thank-you,
Lindsay DiCosimo
Marketing Manager
ldicosimo@meranihotelgroup.com
905.358.8962.
cobourg
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The room was clean and modern, which is great. Breakfast delivered to our room at the time of our request, also a great feature. Not a far walk from the falls at all. (Don't go here if you are looking for a view!) My only "complaint" would be the bed... ugh, it was hard, and the pillows were also a tad tough for my liking.
AG restaurant was very delicious, and I recommend their signature beef tenderloin!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was looking for a hotel that offered an on-site spa in Niagara on the Lake. Many of the more recognizable names in NOTL were cost prohibitive so I searched Niagara Falls instead and ended up at Sterling INN & Spa. The hotel was clean, modern and the rooms were spacious. The bed was comfortable however the linens were a little starchy (maybe I'm just being picky here). The bathroom was fantastic. The bathtub could comfortably fit two people. The spa facility was pretty and my massage was great. I don't often like male therapists but Steve was very professional. Unfortunately the on-site restaurant was closed on the day of my travel. Too bad this place is in dodgy Niagara Falls. Otherwise, a great spot.

Syracuse, NY
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was one click away from reserving a room at the newly renovated Hilton Hotel overlooking the Falls on the Canadian side when a very promising looking place popped on to the screen. "Look" I told my. "This looks promising." What came across my screen were pics and some very good reviews from Trip Advisor members. Now, don't get me wrong; the choice was mine and we think this place has great potential.

From the time we arrived at the property, we were disappointed by the care it was receiving. The lawn looked messy; dandelion stems everywhere and landscape beds that looked like there best day was opening day. As typically happens, I schlepped the bags in only to see that the front entry had stairs and no ramp. Asking for a luggage cart I was informed that 'it' was broken and out for repair. Really didn't matter much because without a ramp it would have been of little help.

The entry 'portal' was a three story silo like structure. It was very bland with small love seat and two unattractive floral pots. No pictures, no music, and...no air conditioning that I could feel. In fact, the entire entry way from steps into the lobby needed swept.

Upon checking in, found that a $200 deposit was required for incidentals. No problem with a cc but would have been nice to know in advance. As it was, we didn't purchase any incidentals.

The desk staff, with the exception of a very nice and engaging night clerk recently moved in from India, seldom engaged us or others as they walked by. There was no coherent dress/attire code for them, no name tags, and no apparent interest in recognizing our presence unless we came right to the desk. Even then, there was a when I get done with what I'm doing I'll help you feeling.
Again, I am saying these things to help and as I hope you will see by the end of my review, moving towards a particular conclusion.

So, up the elevator we went, past the waterfall art pieces (that weren't turned on) in the lobby and the heat that had built up on this particularly warm Niagara Falls day.

Fortunately, the room was as it appeared on my screen when we booked. The carpet was clean of loose debris but in a number of places by obviously thoughtless prior occupants. When we saw the bed it looked rumpled (is that a word?), and the rather smallish pillows were stacked in a very haphazard and not particularly appealing manner. But, the bed was comfortable and we slept well for our 3 nights.

The shower was awesome, the tub great, the entire bathroom incredible. Had a little trouble getting the jetted tub to turn off but figured it out after a few minutes. (Not their problem, definitely 'operator' error.)

We leave the room in pretty good shape when we go out for the day so the things that must be attended to by the staff are pretty obvious. What surprised me was that the water glasses were not only not changed daily (we absolutely used them) but the ice bucket was not emptied of its water and changed out with a new liner bag.

I have to say that the housekeeping staff was very attentive to our requests for additional towels when we needed them and we appreciated that very much.

As I said, I am hoping that my comments are moving in a particular direction. A more consistent program of training and inspection (from the front desk to housekeeping) could take this property from 'okay' to 'good' and an investment in the landscaping, front entry way and such could move it even further. It has great potential.

In the end, I would have preferred a stay at the Hilton. For the same money, and actually a little less, we would have had guaranteed quality, not sacrificed location for the thought that we were going to something special and completed a very nice stay. As it goes, my wife and I love being together regardless of surroundings so it was still a great weekend.

3 Thank baseballbob
Lindsay D, Manager at Sterling Inn & Spa, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank-you for your review. We very much appreciate the detailed description of your stay with us at the Sterling Inn & Spa. A lot of very noteworthy comments were shared and will be discussed with our general manager, front desk and housekeeping staff. We consistently strive to exceed guests expectations and warmly receive suggestions for areas of improvement. Should you like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact our general manager. Once again thank-you for your review.
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The room are beautiful with gas fireplaces and wood floors.dinner was included in our package,showers are the best and very clean,and service was great.this is our first time but we really enjoy the stay we will come back .................

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family