“Unique and modern”
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

Sterling Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed September 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Sterling Inn for one night Sat Sep 3 to 4th, 2011. So much to say about the hotel, so sorry if it's a little long!

Firstly, we arrived really early on the Saturday (planned on site seeing for the day first and then check in at 4 for normal check in time). The front desk staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and we were able to check in at 2:30 which was great (we had just spent 4 hours walking around and it was hot!!).

The hotel has two floors of suites, and the lower level consists of the spa and restaurant. The hotel has unique and modern decor. The lobby is small yet beautiful. We arrived to our room (which was considered their standard room) and first impression - WOW! If it had a kitchen, you could call it a loft apartment! It was HUGE! King bed, sitting area, fireplace, high ceilings, wooden rafters across the ceiling, nice furniture, plank flooring, small fridge with freezer and small bar sink. I can't imagine what more they have done to have "deluxe" rooms!

We were lucky to have the room with the steam shower (jacuzzi's available, but been there, done that). The bathroom was very spacious. HUGE STEAM SHOWER - guessing 5X8. Rainfall showerhead with body jets. Nice!!!!!! Glass one-piece counter and sink.

Our bed was firmer than what we're used to but not a problem (that is one thing all hotels will NEVER be able to make everyone happy with!).

Breakfast - Some people have made negative comments about the breakfast. My husband is somewhat of a picky eater - both he and I enjoyed breakfast. You are given: chef's choice of egg (ours came hard boiled that morning), an apple and an orange, 2 yogurts and a bowl of granola. A carafe of tea, a carafe of coffee, orange juice (your choice of apple or orange), 2 croissants, ham, cheese, jam, butter, milk, creamers, sugar, sweetener. It is delivered in a 15 minute block of time that you choose the evening before.

AG Restaurant - Beautiful, modern. Small but cozy and smelled delicious. We went in for drinks later in the evening. The staff in the restaurant seem to have alot of pride in what they do and it came across in their service.

My complaint, and I included this in my survey that I completed and submitted to the front desk, is the room was not very clean when you take a closer look.

Bathroom - some mold in shower. Grout in the shower and in the bathroom in desperate need of grout cleaner. The washroom vanity has a glass counter top, maid must take the extra care to dust between the 2inch fame of the vanity and the glass top. VERY dusty. One of our face cloths had a 6 inch row of brown stains on it.

Room - dusty floor - bits of lint all over which leads me to believe maid's dust mop was falling apart and not doing its job. I walked across the floor and immediately felt I needed to clean my feet. Not good. I bent down to put water in the fridge and the layer of dust on the bar top caught my eye.

A pretty bad rain storm happened at about 4 a.m. We were on the top floor (second floor) and I am not sure why we heard the rain so loudly, but it sounded like we were sleeping in a tin shed so needless to say, we didn't sleep during the storm.

In the morning, I opened the faux wood blinds and was disappointed to see the layer of dust and finger prints on them.

I advised front desk of my opinions, both through the survey and verbally. He "advised" me that we were visiting on the last weekend of the "season" and they do an "overhaul" cleansing at the beginning of the fall season which happens to be scheduled for this week, but appreciated my input.

Overall - if you can get past the fact that housekeeping needs to improve (and hopefully we just caught a bad day), I would recommend this hotel to be tried at least once. Overall good experience and, if it was clean, it would be the best place to stay in Niagara by far.

Room Tip: no need for deluxe suite, standard is large
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank julieToronto_Ontario

Reviewed September 2, 2011

My husband and I took a quick trip to Niagara Falls last week. Since we were only staying one night I wanted to find some place really nice and relaxing for us. We picked Sterling Inn and Spa after reading reviews here and watching Youtube videos. The hotel is just as shown and promised. Very private away from all the crowds but only one block from attractions. We walked to the falls and it took us maybe 5 minutes. Very friendly staff and very clean rooms. The steam shower was amazing and I've decided I want one:) We booked the room 5 days before we were leaving and they had dropped the price to only 125.00 for the basic room which was plenty big enough since we were only staying one night. I know that this is probably not possible during peak season but for last minute trips like this it really worked out for us. We would go back tomorrow if we could!!! The only thing negative I could say about this hotel is that the breakfast isn't all that great but then again I didn't stay in this hotel for the food:) It was a nice try though.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

We loved the Sterling Inn! It is different than any other place I've stayed. We were only able to get away for one night and next time I'd stay longer. The staff members are friendly and efficient & the rooms are beautifully finished. While there is no picturesque view from any room in the hotel, you'll be happy spending downtime in your comfortable surroundings with modern decor, furniture and fixtures you'd want in your own home. Our room was very spacious as well. It was very quiet despite being just a 10-15 minute walk to all the action Niagara Falls has to offer. Breakfast delivered to your room is great! I highly recommend this place for a weekend getaway and last but not least, a MUST DO is to dine in their restaurant, "AG Inspired Cuisine" and allow staff to match Niagara wines with each course!

Room Tip: Booked Online and saved $100
1  Thank TotheMax98
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel while spending a weekend in Niagara Falls with some friends. They had stayed at other hotels and were very impressed and envious upon visiting us at the Sterling Inn and Spa. Months later, they booked at Sterling Inn and Spa for a function. The hotel is very clean and the decor makes you feel like you are staying in a posh apartment. The hotel room is spacious with high ceilings. The fireplace provides for a very romantic setting. The hotel is very close and walking distance to all the major attractions. I especially enjoyed the breakfast in bed and the steam shower! Although I did not get to enjoy the Spa, I did take a look at the site and found it to have quite a relaxing ambiance with all these lit candles. In the future I am planning a trip to Niagara-on- the-Lake and plan on booking at the Sterling Inn and Spa, driving the twenty minutes...that's how impressed we were!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SABRI_LT80
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Absolutely loved this hotel! Beautiful, modern decor..wood floors, leather furniture, glass sink - very cool. My wife and I chose the Escape package, which included dinner at AG. It deserves its high ranking as the top restaurant in town. Truly an amazing dining experience! We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Avoid the Deluxe room - the upgrades are minimal, and you'll save a few dollars. :)
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Darren H
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is a wonderful hotel in a perfect location. It is a short walk to most everything. The room was beautiful with a fireplace and steam shower. We slept very well and the room was very clean. My husband did report the fitness area could use some attention. It had outdated equipment that barey worked...I informed him no one comes on vacation to workout except him anyway! My only improvement advice is the breakfast. Where we come from, breakfast is more than a hardboiled egg and yogurt. I didn't go to beautiful Niagara Falls for breakfast anyway. This is a great hotel!

Reviewed August 23, 2011

We picked the hotel since it houses a highly regarded gourmet restaurant "AG". If you book this hotel, consider the various packages that include dinner and/or spa treatment. The immediate area is not spectacular but quiet, a block away from the noisy Victoria St. Our large corner suite had two queen-size beds, a fireplace, a nice leather sofa, a bathroom with a large whirlpool, etc. Breakfast is brought to your room at the time of your choice. Check-in time is 4pm and they seem to mean it. You may consider the hotel to be a bit pricy, but then again, it will be much more memorable than a stay at an almost equally expensive dull suite at a conventional chain hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family