“Unpleasant Place”

Ranked #103 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Lawrence, Massachusetts
“Unpleasant Place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed with my family and some other friends at this motel for two nights. The rooms where dirty everywhere: beds, sheets, bathrooms,towels, etc. That was a nightmare. We complained to the owner, but we were treated pretty bad.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Maria4503

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
East Liverpool, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights during the 4th of July holiday and were surprised at how well we liked it considering all these awful reviews. Don't expect little shampoos and lotion and 500 channels and you're good to go. Spend the money you save staying here on all the Falls attractions (or nearby strip clubs like we did). We stayed in a smoking room which had very cold A/C, and a sliding glass window that opened for fresh air. The room was very clean, sheets were fresh. Pillows are lacking, so bring your own. The pool was clean and big enough, with a 9 foot depth. We did not swim, but laid out by it.The owner-operator was extremely nice and knowledgeable about the area. We will definitely return and request our fave room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LeeRoyandSunshine
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

After a great day visiting Niagara Falls, our day came to a crashing halt as soon as we checked in. First thoughts of the location was that it was decent, however as soon as we opened our room door the nightmare began. There were big holes in the wall, windows were that black they were almost impossible to see out of, dust covered the windowsill and shelves as well as the curtains which needed a good wash, the air con was very old looking and needed a good clean (cobwebs were a a visibile sign this hadn't been cleaned in a while. The fridge/freezer needed a good scrub, a box of bicarbonate soda was left inside which showed this hadn't been checked, it was also rather warm inside it even when the temperature was made colder. The table we had in the room was all sticky and there was coffee like stains on the wall. The bedside unit lamp had a loose connection as it didn't stay on any longer than. 2 minutes. There was a shelf for clothing which was black, and had a very musty smell. The bathroom at first glance looked new but on closer inspection had gaps in the ceiling and was also small. The shower was decent, except from the dead bugs in the bath. We stayed in this motel for 2 nights and after the first night when we returned the beds had been made but nothing was cleaned- I made up my 6 month olds bottles on the table and the powder from the formula was still there. The website stated there was an outdoor pool so we went to have a look at this. There was dirt at the bottom of the pool and dead bugs on the surface of the water so we didn't go into it. Can't say anything about the restaurant as we were put off visiting this after seeing the state of our room. The motel is situated in a good area as it is only 5 minutes drive from downtown Niagara so is close to the town and the falls, but far enough that you won't get disturbed. Overall the motel is fine, however would not recommend unless looking for somewhere for a stop off for a quick sleep on a long journey. I don't expect much for the price that was paid, however I do expect it to be clean.

Room Tip: Choose a different motel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank zander130

Travelers are raving about these Niagara Falls hotels

West Bloomfield, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent three nights here recently. The Hotel is not very well maintained.

The bad:

The carpet was filthy and full of cigarette burns, the furniture was from the 1970's, the refrigerator was filthy and the room smelled like smoke. We had specifically requested non-smoking because of allergies and were assured that this was a non-smoking room. The room also did not have a coffee maker, microwave or hair dryer.

Immediately after arrival we went to the dollar store to buy tissues, air fresheners, shampoo and conditioner as none of those items were included.

The good:
The staff was very nice and helpful.
The proximity to Niagara Falls attractions is great
The room price was inexpensive compared to the big chains.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
Hamilton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Tropicana was by far the most well-kept motel from all those on Lundy's Lane. Being the active traveller I am, I've stayed at many motels over on Lundy's lane; the Willow, Star Inn, the Dutch, but Tropicana is my favourite. Yes, the sheets weren't as clean as they could have been, but everything else was fine. The staff were flexible and friendly, it was easy to ask them for anything we needed. It's easy to give this place a bad review because most people are hoping for the perfection hotels offer, you need to remember motels are different.
I went there on New Years, and everything was fine until this drunk couple showed up (the comment under mine). They were loud, obnoxious, and had no care that there we others in the building. I, having brought younger children with me, complained to the front desk. They took control of the situation, gave the couple a refund and the police escorted them out. It honestly is annoying that people can make up any stories on here.
Overall, I might be willing to come back to this motel next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Cindy C
Welland, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I took my fiancee out for a 2 day getaway to Niagara falls, the tropicana Inn was the only available hotel, so I took it, at first it wasnt bad, but then I realize my hotel room has two doors, both of them wont shut or lock properly, blinds that wont cover the windows entirely, one working outlet, no heat in the middle of winter ? dirty sheets, value village wouldnt even take this furniture they give you I try to complain and they act very nice.. and give me a room upgrade.. or so i thought, a jacuzzi suite that has a broken jacuzzi ? okay now I try to leave and no no now its you get what you pay for so I call police and go figure... the police takes their side and i get escorted off property with a day to go... and no refund

Room Tip: There are no good rooms at tropican, Go to Motel 6 on Stanley ave, they have clean rooms, a heated c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed here mid-week because we wanted a jacuzzi. The room was very dirty, rug stains, bedspread not clean, only one washcloth in bathroom, half roll of toilet paper, the shower didn't work properly and the tub filled up with water before you even finished showering, bugs in the room. Did not feel good at all about sleeping there. AC noisy and ineffective and smelled dank. Mold spots on ceiling. Not sure if all the rooms are that way but I suspect they are and who wants to waste time and money trying to find out? I wish we had read the reviews first we never would have booked here.

Room Tip: Read RECENT reviews - look slike several years ago this place was nicer.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple