“A good experience”

Thundering Waters Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: A John Daly Signature Course
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We went before 8:30 for their early morning discount. Really liked the course. It was surprisingly short, but had an abundance of challenges. The layout is great, requires accuracy, has plenty of water and traps and interesting greens. We found the course to be in fabulous shape. The only negative was that the gps system in our cart was not functioning. Yes, there is construction in the area. Yes, there are some serious distances between greens and tee boxes. But once out on the course we had a very good time.

All reviews
"short par"
in 5 reviews
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I was sickened at the changes that TW has implemented since I last played in 2007. After recommending the course to a friend, we arrived early and were met by several construction vehicles. After asking a construction worker where to park, I proceeded to the pro shop with the intention of hitting some balls to warm up. Unfortunately, the driving range was sacrificed for housing, and I was forced to hit balls on artificial turf in what amounted to be a batting cage. I felt that the course would make up for the shoddy reception. I was wrong…

The course itself was sacrificed, with the old 1st hole eliminated, and the 2nd hole par 5 carved out and changed to a par 4. The refreshment stands were closed (on an 88 degree day), and the dozens of signs strewn about to navigate golfers around the course are an utter blight. Thanks to erratic watering, some fairways were too dry, while others were saturated.

All could have been saved except for the course layout. Take a look at the new slope ratings and distances. According to the RCGA, “a course of standard playing difficulty will have a slope rating of 113”. The middle (blue) tees play with a slope rating of 131 and have a yardage of only 5,723, while the white tees have a more respectable rating of 121, but play at a ridiculous 5,083 yards. From the blue tees, there is only 1 (of 6) par 5’s that play over 500 yards (525). Players can put away the driver and play this course with irons, easily avoiding fairway bunkers while leaving wedges to the green. Play TW if you need to lower your handicap, as this is the easiest 131 course you’ll ever play…

It is no surprise that several internet deals and reduced rate options are available. You get what you pay for. John Daly – if you’re out there, please get back to Canada and do something!!!

1  Thank EdWhid
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I played Thundering Waters over the weekend and it is the beginning of the season (and there was a heavy frost overnight) so I can forgive a course not being completely perfect this time of the year.

The facility is in the process of making some major changes which a huge housing project being built around the course. At the moment so the entrance does have the look of a construction site. There are some flaws to the facility (parking lot is quite a distance from the club house, no driving range, practice nets WILL face someone's house which could be dangerous as the nets get older) which will need to be resolved in the future if it seriously wants to be a top course in the area.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the shop assistant asked me where I lived to see if I was entitled to a local discounted rate but once he found that I had booked via Golfnow the rate I had paid was less anyway.

The course I found to be very different from what I had heard from people I know who had played it a few years previous. They said it was brutally long and tough but what I found was a course that had obviously gone through some changes to shorten many of the holes to create more space for houses. The first hole was a 600 yard par 5 previously. Now a short 300 yard par 4. I hear that previously the course was over 7,500 yards from the back tees, now its a far more manageable 6,500.

The course was in reasonably good condition for this time of the year, the greens ran true and took a ball well. The actual course takes you well away from the building site and there are many holes that are very picturesque. My biggest issue was with the bunkering, they were beginning to look a little unkempt and there were a couple which had obviously had no care for quite some time (there were weeds growing in them). The course has 6 par 5's which is higher then normal and if you can hit a 260-280 yard drive you will have opportunities to get on or close to all of them in 2.

Overall the course has the potential to be very good in about 5 years time but right now it is about average when you compare it to other courses in the Niagara Region. I would suggest that off the back tees they make it a par 71 (or even 70) and have some of the shorter par 5's converted into par 4's. But if you are an average player looking for a course to play you will have fun here and it will give you the opportunity to shoot a low round.

2  Thank scottandros
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The whole entrance/driveway is under construction with dust clouds billowing in the air. No-One to remove bags. No-One to put your bags on the cart. Sand Traps have Weeds!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 4, 2011

In June we had our Wedding at this facility- Biggest mistake we could ever have made. When we visited the facility everything seemed just peachy- was going to be an affordable and very enjoyable day for my husband and I. After signing the contract thats when everything began to change- we could no longer get replies or a response to any questions or concerns that would arise, could not get contact information for the dj (they hired the dj as pat of the contract) to provide the list of songs to nothing. The meeting we showed up to one month before our wedding- DISASTER (should have turned away but I still wanted to marry my husband and all the invites were out and replied to at this point). THEY HAD EVERYTHING TORN UP, THEY ARE APPARENTLY BUILDING HOUSES ON THE GOLF COURSE!!! Everything looked aweful there were no more nice backdrops for pictures nothing (we were paying full pop for nothing), then when we go into the meeting the gentleman we were supposed to meet with (the same person we had spoke with several times prior to signing the contract and during the contract writting stages, and up to the date of the meeting) had decided that his work load was to large and handed our file over to a different lady. She had no idea of previous conversations and promises that were made etc, needless to say our wedding day was nothing short of an embarrasment. We worked with what they still had green and tried to make the facility work and forget about the prior issues, as we have much more exciting things to worry about. Two weeks before our wedding they finally confirm a dj- and they give me Rocking' Roger for a dj (I expressed my concerns immediatly due to the fact we are a younger couple and upon contract signing we had said we want the reception to be more of a dance club style than boring old wedding reception), they assured us up and down that Rockin' Roger was aware of this and would be more than capable of providing us what we wanted. Rockin' roger books a meeting with my husband and I one hour before our rehersal to go over things and meet us, he shows up 45 minutes late! Not to mention he brought no sound system as promised to provide the music for our rehearsal or anything, and informs us he still dj's of cd's rather than a laptop or ipod. GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! We worked things out and move on to the wedding day! NOTHING WENT AS PLANNED OR PROMISED! Dj missed all of his cues, deserts we all set out to early and were warm- the caterer ran out of food, and the dj's most famous line was "if I can find it, I'll think about playing it!". There was nothing good about this dj it didn't matter who made a request Bride, Groom nothing he either didn't have it or wouldn't play it, when he did decide to play something along the lines of what we were looking for he just put the cd in and let the whole cd play threw before he would play anything else. The facility was horribly under staffed, bar left unattended more often then not, and did not seem to care what the bride and groom wanted done that day or not! We went to clean up and pick our items up on the Sunday after our wedding and expressed our concerns to the guy we originally had started dealing with (who also happens to be the facility's general manager) and he said he would like it all in writting, when we hashed out the most important issues we would have liked dealt with he said pick 3! We to this day cannot resolve any of the issues..... I had guests that played the golf course (at no discount to them) and they said they were treated much the same on the golf course as we were for our wedding day (its not like it happens to be one of the most important days in our lives or anything obserrd like that).

4  Thank woooohooo