“very good stay, loved the wrist bands”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #4 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
on
“very good stay, loved the wrist bands”
Reviewed September 14, 2006

We just came home for after staying 2 nights at the lodge. We traveled with a 4yrs old and a 5 month old and had a very good time. The KidsKamp theme room was great. It allowed enough privacy for the 4yrs old to not be disturbed by us watching tv after her bedtime. A playpen was supplied at no charge and set up upon arrival for the baby.

The service from all the staff was extremely friendly. The front desk staff responded quickly to questions, and the wait staff are great witht he kids.

The wrist bands are great. Upon arrival the guest are given wrist bands that will open the room door, lock the lockers in the hotel, and allow you to charge foods and other services to your room. It was perfect for us, you can leave your vehicle keys and wallets in the room safe. Please note, that you do not need to purchase food and drinks with the wrist band charge system, you can always select to use cash or credit cards if desired.

The food was good. You can slect menu items or the buffet for dinner. There are always a variety of locations for snacks, sweets, and coffees to choose from.

The gift shop is large and well presented.

Our 4yrs old loved the crafts available and nightly story time.

We plan to return in the future.

• Stayed September 2006
8 Thank ttttttttt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ontario
Reviewed September 11, 2006

Recently my husband and I took our granddaughter to Great Wolf Lodge. They both enjoyed the waterslides immensely. I spent most of the time alone because due to a physical malady I could not indulge in the slides. I had however, been anticipating a nice time in the wave pool and the whirlpool. To my chagrin, I quickly discovered that there were not enough lounges and chairs for the clientelle. There were not enough basketballs to play with in the outdoor pool. There were not enough inner tubes to take in the wave pool. (You would think that with the cost of this hotel, they would be able to afford sufficient equipment for their guests)!! Not even an appology either when asked for..... just a "well I guess you'll just have to wait for one"!

The other main concern was being tagged at the front desk with a bracelet containing a microchip that was constantly scanned whenever I got food or water. It was to be worn for the duration of our stay and not to be taken off. As in the previous post I got the anxious feeling that Big Brother was watching all of us wherever we went. I found this "conditioning" very disconcerting to say the least. I would NEVER go back!

P.S. Anyone with asthma should stay away from this highly touted water park!! Everytime I went through the doors I had an asthma attack until I got smart and used puffers BEFORE I went in.

Stayed August 2006
7 Thank gemof51
Toronto
Reviewed September 8, 2006

The purpose of a vacation is to relax & enjoy, correct? If you are comfortable wearing what is essentially a "tracking device" then you've found your dream trip!
After checking in at Great Wolf Lodge, we were promptly "tagged" like one of the taxidermy animals hanging on the wall.
Hotel personnel slapped a microchipped bracelet on my children and I, that would open our room door, allow us to buy food and drink, and much more with a simple scan and flick of the wrist.
Resort reps will insist it is for your own convenience so that you don't lose keys, etc. etc., but this very creepy and stifling chokehold seems like Big Brother-type conditioning to me.
The details of our trip don't matter, as the sinister nature of "THE bracelet" overshadowed all else.
DON"T do it! This place is overpriced, and over-hyped at best, and perhaps something much scarier at worst.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — A very creepy place
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go!!
5 Thank Godiva03
Ithaca
Reviewed September 2, 2006

I am writing this review from our room on our last night here because I am so frustrated and the staff is so unresponsive to complaints. Where do I begin? First, the waterpark facilities here are awesome. . . completely amazing. The problems lie in the service and in the implementation of the concept. Some cannot be solved given the design but most are the result of poor training and leadership of the staff and poor facilities management.

-- The locker rooms are way too small. There is nowhere private to really change. By the end of the day, they are a disaster with dirty towels and diapers strewn everywhere. They have far too few large lockers as well.
- They need to provide some type of map for the waterpark. It is very hard to figure out which slides are which and what the height limits are.
-- Although they guarantee 4:00 check-in, most people seemed to check-in by 3:00. We were told to come back twice "in ten minutes" because our room was being inspected and the room was not ready when we returned. Usually, the first people to arrive are given priority for the earliest rooms but I don't believe this occured. Moreover, the staff were NOT very friendly about it all.
-- When we finally checked in, the room clearly shouldn't have passed inspection. The coffee maker hadn't even been cleaned!
-- The key bracelets are a nice idea but we had ours fail too many times to mention over the trip, creating too much time wasted.
-- Our room was NOT as promised. We reserved a Wolf Den Suite with a sofa bed and ours did not have the sofa bed. Indeed it was much smaller than another suite we peeked into while wandering to the mini golf. However, we did pay the standard suite rate as I'm sure they were hoping we wouldn't notice this difference
- The safe in the suite was not working. The bath tub stopper was also not working.
- The staff in the kids area -- the "Cub Club" were very nice but the front desk staff had apparently not been told this was a kid friendly place because they seemed to try to ignore the kids rather than respond to their eager inquiries during registration. They actually treated the adults as if they were a nuisance as well.

I ran into the General Manager answering a quetion from a guest and he didn't exhude warmth either so it is obvious that the staff aren't really being trained with a customer service orientation. This is such a shame because, at these prices, the service is going to be what drives repeat business. I doubt we would come again.

• Liked — Concept rooms -- themed for kids, waterpark
  • Disliked — noise level, rooms not the size promised
  • Tips/Secrets — Come for waterpark, don't expect any more.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank BizProf
Petrolia, Ontario
Reviewed August 30, 2006

My best friend and I with our daughters (2 age 12, 2 age 9) stayed in the family suite for one night. We arrived around 11:30 and although the website said check-in was 4pm, they allowed us to check-in and go to our rooms right away. The room was a good size but the bathroom was a bit small. I didn't like that the sink was not in the bathroom. We found the beds very comfortable. My friend stayed on the pull out couch with one daughter and she had a great sleep on it. The room had a large bar fridge, a microwave and a safe. I loved the room entry bracelets and not having to carry anything with us to the waterpark including towels. As for the waterpark, we all had a blast. It felt safe letting the girls go off on their own as they saw fit. Lifeguards are everywhere and on their mark, blowing their whistles when ever needed (mostly saw this in the wave pool when parents took their really small children in too deep.) Our favourite water slide was the roller coaster one (can't remember the name) and must have ridden it 15 times over the 2 days. One warning, stay away from the arcade. It is the typical rip-off that all arcades are and just leaves the kids begging for more money. We found the buffett quite good although the girls only seemed to eat at the ice cream station. Every employee that we encountered was pleasant and smiling. We definitely will go back probably in the dead of winter.

• Liked — Waterpark
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Tips/Secrets — Try checking in early especially if you are only there for one night.
5 Thank Eve P
toronto
Reviewed August 25, 2006

We stayed at Great Wolf Niagara on Friday August 25 for one night (we're from Toronto) and we had a great time. I'm glad I read some previous reviews because we knew to get there for early use of the waterpark. In fact, we were assigned and in our room at 1:30 pm (when the hotel's check-in policy is 4 pm). That meant that we had a full 7 hours in the park, with an hour break for some dinner, on our arrival day. Check-out is at 11am, and we were refused a late check-out. The maid was knocking on our door at 10:30 as per some previous reviews, even though we had hung the "Do not disturb" sign to try to discourage just that. We were in the water-park again on our morning of check-out from 8:30 onwards (lines are the quietest around 8:30-9:30 am and 9-10 pm), and returned for several more hours after we checked out. As per previous reviews, you may continue to use the water-park and the lockers on the day of your check-out, up until 10pm. We were waterlogged by about 4 pm and decided to leave then. You truly can have 2 full days of water-park fun, for a one night stay.

We did not eat at any of the restaurants on site, as per previous recommendations. We had our big meal of the day off property before checking in, then ordered a medium pizza from the Pizza Hut on site for dinner. The price seemed just slightly higher than normal. As for our stay, the room was very clean, and we were lucky enough to be assigned a room on the waterpark level (park level), so we didn't have any problems with slow elevators. Our room was just around the corner from the entrance to the waterpark so we did not have a long walk from our room. We did hike to the end of the hall to see how big the place was, and if you're assigned a room at the end, it is a very long walk. The water-park was great, my 6 year old loved it, especially the wave pool and the water roller-coaster. She also liked the story time at 8pm in the lobby.

The only negatives that I could see:
- there didn't seem to be enough lockers in the water-park
- there seemed to be some algae growth on some of the plastic waterslides. More than once my feet went out from underneath me while exiting a slide, but this wasn't a problem when we were wearing our water shoes.
- the beds in the room are very uncomfortable, we tossed and turned all night. I had expected everyone to hit the bed and be asleep almost immediately after all of our activity, but that wasn't the case because of the beds, they were very hard.
- you can hear people talking inside their hotel rooms when you are walking down the hallways (and that means other people can hear you when you are in your room).

As for the staff, everyone was very polite and friendly. However, for our American friends, a big minus is the exchange rate offered at the hotel. I work for a Canadian bank, and get a discount on the exchange rate. It's often to my advantage to pay for hotels in Canada with American dollars, at the exchange rate offered by the hotel, rather than Canadian dollars. They were only offering 5% exchange on the day that we visited, when the current bank rate was 13%. When I inquired about this, I was told (politely) that this was what was offered by the hotel, and that I was free to exchange any $US elsewhere before paying the bill. This is the first time that I've heard of a hotel offering less than the going exhange rate.

All in all, we had a great and exhausting time. My daughter wants to go back, and I'm sure we will.

• Stayed August 2006
7 Thank toronto_mama
Milton, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Just got back from a 1 night stay with my girlfriend and my 2 kids ages 5 and 9. We had a great time. We bookend the kids den room and they loved the bunkbeds and there own TV. The waterpark was fantastic. My youngest was just big enough to go on all but 2 slides and really loved the wave pool. Story time at 8pm was fantastic and the resort really gets the kids involved. Food is on the pricey side, but we knew that coming in, so we where not so shocked at the bill. If I had only one complaint, it would be that the rooms don't have a seperate door for the kids area. It was hard to get them to go to sleep, while we were watching a movie. Other then that, this place is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone with small children.

5 Thank robbo08