“A fun trip”

Ranked #4 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
toronto
“A fun trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

My friend was having her b day party here and i was very excited to go. The waterpark was great but some of the lifeguards could have been nicer. The room was clean. The waterslides were awesome. Arcade was good. My only problem was that in the morning we had to leave we went to the waterpark. Instead of letting us in at 9 am (which was the time it was meant to be open) one of the workers was telling everyone to have a wolftastic day and was lecturing us about the hotel. I think they should have just let us in the waterpark. Overall it was a great place to go and have fun. Great place to take the kids.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

Just spent the past weekend at GWL with my husband and 4 year old son.
Stayed in a large family room with 2 x queen beds and pull out couch and fireplace. Was quite roomy which was great. Saturday morning went down for breakfast. I only wanted something light so manager said that I could have a pastry and tea and he'd only charge me the kids buffet price. The line up for the buffet was ridiculous. It took my husband 20mins to get an omlette. As a result we didn't line up after that as it took too long for breakfast. Unfortunatley breakfast still cost $40 for an omlette, cheerios and a pastry. We didn't eat there on Sunday!

Went to the waterpark around 10am. It is a lot of fun and my 4 year old loved it. For the bigger slides, the wait time can be long so beware.
We came back to the water park again around 5pm and it wasn't as busy.

Ordered pizza in the room for dinner and it was fine. Beware when ordering room service, that a service charge is already taken but they still leave an option for a tip!!!
Very loud neighbours on Saturday night. We waited until 10.30pm to complain and apparently we weren't the only ones to complain. Next morning when checking out, we mentioned the noise issue and the supervisor said that there were no other complaints from the previous night. My husband mentioned that the operator told us the previous night that there were a few other complaints. The supervisor then responded 'oh - I wasn't on last night'. Very odd!!

Overall, I did think that hotel has lots of good things about it e.g. room size, water park, lobby, story time etc. Kids will have a good time. The downside is that it is extremely expensive and the service is not good. We had a good time but most likely won't return.

Pickering, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

I want to preface my comments by saying I'm a huge Disney fan and have been to Walt Disney World more than a dozen times in my life. Based on that, my standards are high.

My wife, 19 month old son, brother-in-law, 3 year old niece and I spent 2 nights at Great Wolf, on a corporate discount. We were in a family suite, which consisted of 2 queen beds, a pull-out couch and a kitchenette (bar fridge and microwave). We didn't realize until we checked in, that our package included the buffet breakfast both mornings and 12 tokens for the arcade.

My impressions:

Room: The room wasn't too bad. It had plenty of space for the 5 of us. It was fairly clean (some dirt built up in the corners of the bathroom). The beds were not comfortable. Both mornings I woke up early with an extremely sore back. The walls and ceilings seemed very thin. On the second night at 11:30pm, I had to call the front desk to complain about the family above us, as they were POUNDING around their room. The room had only one sink, so a second would have come in handy. The TV was old and outdated (considering most hotels now have flat screens) and the channel selection was limited. I know that you really aren't supposed to spend much time in your room, but more TV options would be great. Thank goodness the Olympics were on! And if you need a playpen/crib, you may be out of luck. I had requested one in our reservation but had to go back to the front desk to request it again. And I think I may have received the last one. I wondered what they were going to do for me when they couldn't get me one....

The Waterpark: This is definately the shining star of the resort, but there are some disappointing points. The park is huge. There are lots of things to do.... but not much for toddlers. My son still had a good time, but there really wasn't much we could do together. They have slides for small ones, but nothing for toddlers. They don't even have slides for both of us to go down. We did attempt to go down the slide with the big round tubes, as all the staff said we should be able to take my son down. After waiting 30 mins in line, we got up there only to find out taking him down with us wasn't an option. It was a good thing, as the slide was too fast for him. As I'm used to the Fast Pass system in Disney World (and not having to wait in line), I really didn't want to stand in line the whole time. I was only able to try 3 of the 6 slides, which didn't include their roller coaster type slide that looked like lots of fun. The park is really good for the 7-12 year old range.

Food: The resort really doesn't have many options. The buffet breakfast was pretty good but I wouldn't pay for it. We did eat dinner in the buffet on our second night, but I wouldn't go back to it. It was overpriced and didn't have a really good selection (Tucker's is still the best buffet). I would venture out to somewhere in the Niagara Falls area for dinner or bring something back to the hotel, like Swiss Chalet. One piece of advice if you do eat in the main restaurant: go during off peak times. It fills up quickly.

Theming: GWF lodge does do a good job in this area. The main foyer has some great animated characters. My son and niece loved standing and watching the animated characters even though they repeat the same things over and over again. We didn't take advantage of the story time, as it was really crowded. And if you do check-in during the story time, you may have a challenge getting your luggage to your room....

Service: So this is the area which is really important to me. Overall, the resort needs to improve on their guest service. The front staff were ok, but they didn't go out of their way to provide outstanding service. Case in point, when we received our bill in the morning of our check-out, there was an extra charge for $30. We tried to figure out what it was but ended up having to go to the front desk to inquire. Apparently, the night before when we split the dinner bill with my brother-in-law, instead of charging his portion to his credit card (which he provided), they charged it to the room. They showed us the bill at the front desk but no apology was given for the mix up and they didn't offer us an alternative to pay for the amount seperately.

When we left, we wanted to take a group picture around a carved chair. I asked the staff behind the front desk to help us. The woman that looked like the supervisor, didn't offer to come around herself, instead she sent someone to do it. Little things like this go a long way.

The water park staff/lifeguards weren't all that friendly. I know that their first priority is the safetly of guests, but they need a refresher in service.

The staff that provided the best service were the housekeeping staff. They were super friendly!

Oh, and the extra towels that we called down and asked for on the first night.... I'm still waiting for them.....

Overall, the experience was average. I would go back again, but during the week when it probably isn't busy.

1 Thank disneynorth
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

We took our kids for a night & although the kids loved the idea of bunk beds and generally had a fun time in the pool, there are a lot of things that I, as an adult did not like. It was freezing cold when you went up to any of the water slides, it's supposed to be warm but we all found it cold & uncomfortable most of the time. I also was not impressed with the food, the restaurant was overpriced & the quality was not very good. The check in time is ridiculous..you pay all that money & don't even get to be there for 24 hours. The check in process is also slow. In the lobby, you stand there waiting & freezing because you are so close to the front door..they need to have a better entrance plan! The kids enjoyed the kids club and the child friendly hot tub and the rooms were fun for them!
I really could not justify staying there for over $300 a night again & we booked 2 nights for a total price, with food $800.00..not including treats & the arcade!! The check in time should be 1:00 & they should include a meal..it's way overrated & overpriced for what it is..an indoor water park that you get to play in for a few hours.
The rooms were clean & the staff was friendly..we had no issues with that at all. I'm glad we finally went because now I know (& don't understand) what all the hype was about.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Milton, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

Before we embarked on our trip to GWL, I took a look at the most recent reviews on Trip Advisor and was wary about the experiences of the families who stayed in January and got really, really sick. Imagine my surprise when our party of five, who were healthy going in, became sick to varying degrees within hours of being at the waterpark. We all had a ball at the waterpark on what was supposed to be the first of two days of fun. Mom started to feel sick first. She couldn't touch her dinner and shortly after got the chills. Then the vomiting which was to last throughout the night began. Mom ran to the bathroom at 10 pm, our 3 year old started at 1 am, the six year old joined her at 5 am and the 1 year old writhed with stomach pains upon waking for the morning (fortunately she didn't show any other symptoms) and Dad got diarrhea by the next evening. I have to say the hotel staff were very prompt and courteous as they attended to us throughout the night bringing new bedding. I spoke to the manager the next morning about our plight. She explained to me that it was flu season and that's what we had contracted. She assured me that we did not get sick from the waterpark as its chlorine levels were monitored hourly and the park had a system of fresh air intake. I just find it so bizarre. I wish I knew exactly how we got sick so suddenly. I wish I knew that it definitely was not caused by GWL because it's a great place for the kids and we would like to go back. But I'm not sure that's a chance I want to take.

3 Thank JocP
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

We traveled from the states to Canada to the Great Wolf Lodge. Don't let all the hype and pictures get you excited. Nothing is even worth it if the staff does not support it! You can find a handful of staff that is nice, but the most important people you have to deal with are the most obnoxious people I have EVER dealt with. This is NOT THE STATES!!!! They are for the most part unfriendly, and they feel that helping you out, for their lack of knowledge, is going above and beyond. They just pat themselves on the back and think they are good. When people come from the states and don't have knowledge of their system, FORGET IT! They treat you like NON PAYING GUESTS!!! In all my years of traveling, and traveling out of the country, this has got to be the worst. Stay in the states and enjoy the Great Wolf Lodge. We thought it would be nice to stay here, and see the sights, I need a vacation from these people!!!

3 Thank aroundtheworld25
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

We just stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls, Ontario for the Valentine's Day weekend, I was so impressed by the whole package. The staff were exceptional, the waterpark was fantastic, the activities for the kids was well organized, I could go on and on. We only used the waterpark for approx. 3-4 hours a day, there was just way to much to do within the hotel. My 5yr daughter went to Scoops (kids spa) while I had the best massage at Elements, and my son and husband spent time in the archade. We never left the hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel, the only thing I would suggest is if you're looking to save a couple of bucks bring your own snacks.