The ease of Great Wolf Lodge keeps us coming back again and again. The onsite waterpark that is only open to guests of the Lodge, the spacious and family-friendly rooms (with things like a fridge and a microwave in each suite), the ability to add a meal plan, and the other onsite activities (mini golf, bowling, arcade, etc.) all make it the kind of place where the parents can relax while the kids still have tons to do.
While it wasn't a perfect stay, per se, it was still a great one. Our room request was happily honoured (top floor, view of the outdoor waterpark), our room was ready before the promised check-in time of 4 pm (just after 2 pm, to be exact), and the both the common areas of the lodge and our family suite were very clean. Staff, for the most part, were super friendly (with a few exceptions) and the waterpark provided hours of enjoyment, even for our "aging" family (two adults and two older teens).
The breakfast and dinner buffets at the Antler Shanty were excellent, with an abundance of yummy items to suit every taste. We did have a server at our second night's dinner that was a bit of a disappointment...she lacked the Great Wolf friendliness that we have come to enjoy and didn't have the knowledge of the meal plan inclusions (specifically, a Shirley Temple as a drink option). Hats off to the fabulous young chef who was cooking up the cheese raviolis at the saute station on Saturday, June 28th...what a joy to chat with and the raviolis were divine.
The quick service meals were, sadly, nothing special. The pizza at Northwoods was greasy, and the sandwich combo at the Bear Claw cafe needed a side or dessert (chips, cookie, or something) to round it out other than included drink (otherwise, paying more than $8+ for a small kaiser with meat and a fountain pop seemed excessive at best). The chicken tenders and sandwiches at Spirit Island were passable but nothing to write home about. Definitely the value in the meal plan comes from the fabulous breakfast and lunch buffets.
We visited over a long weekend, so the waterpark was noticeably busier on the Saturday of the Canada Day weekend than on our Friday arrival day. The lifeguards, though, were plentiful and the park was very enjoyable despite the crowds.
What needs to change? The awful (and I mean AWFUL) shampoo/conditioner/body wash in the dispensers in the bathrooms. Total garbage. I was so grateful we brought our own hair care products, as the "green" options in the suite washrooms are beyond bad and a nightmare for anyone with long hair. Also, the water temperature in the suite bathroom never did get hot enough to enjoy a comfortable shower, despite having the water turned on as hot as it would go and allowed to run for some time (hoping it would eventually reach a suitable temperature.....but it didnt).
While we already had our next visit (Christmas 2014) reserved before arrival with a 15% discount code applied, we visited the front desk before departure to inquire about the "book your next stay before you leave and save 20%" promo that was advertised throughout the lodge. They were able to apply the additional 5% savings to our existing reservation, albiet after a lengthy wait and a check with multiple supervisors. So we are happily awaiting our return to our "home away from home" in the beautiful Niagara Falls. See you in December, Great Wolf Lodge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the moment you arrive at the Great Wolf Lodge, expect to be amazed and amused. Situated close to awe-inspiring Niagara Falls, the entire Lodge is designed to capture the spirit of adventure and the atmosphere of the great Northwood's. The Northern theme inspires everything from the spectacular stone fireplace and timber in the five-story Grand Lobby to the cabin-like comfort and decor of our all-suite guest rooms. The Lodge features an indoor/outdoor waterpark of over 100,000 square-feet; an 18-hole interactive miniature golf course; Ten Paw Bowling Alley; our 7,000 sq. Ft. Northern Lights Arcade, including a ticket redemption center; MagiQuest, interactive adventure game; Elements Spa & Salon and Scoops Kid Spa. Five themed restaurants, including a confectionary cafe and Northwood's Pizza. We assure your stay will be a howling great time! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HotelsforEveryone, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Great Wolf Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Wolf Hotel Niagara Falls
- Great Wolf Niagara Falls
- Great Wolf Lodge Niagara Falls