“Great place for the kids”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #4 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Ottawa, Canada
“Great place for the kids”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We spent two nights at GWL with our boys (3 & 5) Sunday Nov. 10 - Tue. Nov. 12 in a Kid Camp suite. Check in isn't until 4pm which I found very late. We arrived around 2 and went though the check-in process which only took about 15 minutes. They give you bracelets which double as electronic room keys and if you give them a cell phone number, they send you a text message when your room is ready along with the room number so you can go straight to the room once available.
The room was cute. The kids were very excited to have their own little space equipped with a little TV. We were in room 2099 on the main floor with a balcony that overlooked what appeared to be their shipping/receiving area. It was pretty cold out so we just kept the curtain closed for the most part. The main bed was fine but a king would have been preferable especially when our 3 year old decided he wanted to crawl in with us. I don't know if there was a common room above us or just a very loud group in a room but I had to call the front desk at 11:30pm because of the racket. I can tolerate some noise and appreciate that kids get excited but they sounded like a herd of elephants and it actually woke my husband and I up. Luckily the kids were so exhausted from travelling and playing in the water they didn't hear a thing.
The water park was great. My 5 year old was 41.5 inches and they are very strict about height. If your child doesn't quite meet the 42" requirement they will not be able to go on the bigger slides, even with an adult. They give each child a coloured bracelet indicating their height and then they also have height charts at each big slide. This was a bit of a disappointment, I had measured him prior to going and thought he was tall enough. There were plenty of other activities in the park that kept him busy however, and he had a great time. My 3 year old loved the wave pool and the lazy river. We were all able to go on the 'Wooly Mammoth' together and they thought that was a blast. We only waited in line about 10 minutes each time. It was pretty warm and we left the kids hooded towels and shoes sitting on a beach chair and didn't worry about anything. I would really recommend bringing hooded towels or housecoats for the kids because you can't take the water park towels out into the hotel.
We had breakfast in the restaurant both days using pre-purchased meal plans which saved a bit. The buffet had everything available and was pretty good. We ate dinner one night in the restaurant and it was also very good, with a huge selection, but it was pretty pricey.
We got each kid a Paw Pass and it was a good value. They were a little young for the MagiQuest game but they set the wands to 'free play' so they were able to open up treasure chests and make pictures light up and the stuffing station was also a big hit.
We will likely take the kids back again but will make sure they are both 48" so we can go on all of the slides. I booked this using a 20% off and wouldn't go back unless I got another deal like that.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

we went and it was amazing I went with my cousin who was 16 and she enjoyed going in swimming. I was young at the time and thought it was so fun the amount of stuff you could do. it was good we did not need to go out to get food as they have restaurants inside. the outside was lovely but the inside was beautiful with all the decorations. the staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean I would recommend this hotel to anyone as it was the best by far. thank you !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Ohh where shall I start my review?! We booked through their website they had a great online deal
It was our first time to niagara falls so we wanted something special and we got it ,, our room was away from the magic quest path so we didn't suffer from the noise " a tip for others when booking" I liked their service and customer care, when we first enterd the room the fridge wasn't clean nor the toilet seat, called them and they were so nice and apologized for the inconvenace they cleaned the toilet and replace the fridge!
We took other reviewer advice and we brought our food with us, we used the pizza coupon also,, it was yummy "cheese pizza". The water park was amazing and safe the boys ages 9, 7, 5 had a REALLY great time, after spending the day there they went questing, they had their Hands full and by night they were exhausted. The beds were good we booked the wolf cabin suit so they boys had their own tv, not a lot of options but I think they didn't need more coz they would fall asleep after spending such a day.

The only cons I have are the prices " expinsive" and elevators " not enough and too crowded"

Can't wait to visit one more time

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the magic quest paths Look for online deals u will save $$$
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank samah80
Grand Island, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We have stayed here ten times now and never get bored with the Great Wolf lodge. The last staywas for our daughters 13 th birthday. We got the loft fireplace suite. It was perfect so the girls had the downstairs to themselves. It also is wise to pay for the late check out. By the time you leave you feel like you were on a vacation for a week!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jeannies924
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We made reservations through Expedia, it was cheaper. We took our daughter for her birthday weekend. We had a blast. All the special things.Talking trees, treasure hunts with magic wands, water park, arcade and store. Our room was adorable and the beds are super comfortable. I am very particular about sleeping situations, the beds are awesome. Best thing. We had made an appointment for my daughter at the spa. When it came time, my daughter rather go back to the waterpark. Kara who works at the spa, made a bit of a change, so my daughter could do both. They did the manicure, had her go to the waterpark and then come back later for the nail polish. This way, her polish didn't get ruined in the water park. They have booked appointments here, so they are on a tight schedule. They made special arrangements so my daughter could enjoy her last day there. Food is pricey and not very good. However, you are better off bringing some food in or going out to eat on Victoria Avenue. Other than that, we loved this place and cannot wait to go back.

2 Thank Amybsophia
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed at GWL last year for 2 nights and just booked another stay for January! It pays to be added to their mailing list because you will get advance notice on special deals/rates. I've never been to any of the other water parks in Niagara Falls so I can't comment compare GWL to the other ones. We had a great time at GWL and my sons had a blast. There was enough to keep the toddlers/young babies entertained for the entire day. I did find that the water could have been a bit warmer...especially in the toddler area but that could have just been the time of year as it was December. We purchased the dining plan because we didn't want to have to bother with finding/making food and I thought it was good value for $50.

We opted to stay in the basic family suite as we didn't plan on spending much time in the room. I found the room to be big enough for what we needed. I would bring my own playpen next time as the one we got was a little 'used'. I would probably get a kids cabin or wolf den suite when the kids are older and want their own space.

My 3 year old loved the wooly mammoth ride, the wave pool and the toddler area. We didn't get to enjoy any of the other adult rides as we didn't have anyone to watch our toddler and baby.

I'm excited to go back and if you can score a deal for under $200 a night, you'll be more than happy!

Room Tip: We asked to be a little bit away from the mail hallway as we have young kids and wanted it to be fai...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed there for one night in November for my kid's birthday. This is not our first visit, and we normally try to catch a sub-$200 deal and never stay on a weekend, as it may be very crowded. The room got a little better as the heater is now controlled by a proper thermostat, and is not roaring at night. We purchased the MagiQuest game for the kids, and it is bloody expensive, at $105 for 2 kids. Yes, the sign on the front desk says $27 per person, but this includes only a basic wand, and of course the kids want something more substantial, and there are no price stickers on anything, so you will learn the final price at the counter - and at this stage it is difficult to back out. Sneaky. Anyway, the water park is great, kids had fun with their wands, and we will be back at some point in the future.