Let me start by saying all in all we had a very good time. GWL is a very good resort and we had a mostly positive experience. We rated it 4 out of 5 (not 5) for reason given below. If you can live
with the negative points then we definitely recommend GWL. Keep in mind that we travelled in wintertime so facilities were closed.
Personally, we would come back
We stayed at Grey Wolf Lodge Niagara for two weekend nights in late February with our almost 3 year old daughter.
The resort is the only Canadian version of an American family resort chain. It is an ideal location on Victoria Avenue which leads into the tourist district minutes away in one direction and very
close to Niagara Parkway on which many interesting sites such as the Butterfly Conservatory and the Botanical gardens are located. Niagara Parkway also goes to Niagara on the Lake if you wish to go
The resort is huge which hundreds of rooms on two wings that are centered in the lobby, activity area.
Room: We had a standard room w a gas fireplace. The room is like a mini suite with a couple of double beds and a sitting area with a couch with a pull out bed. The room had a mini-fridge, a
microwave and a coffee maker (with complimentary coffee). The room was accurately pictured in the website. It was very clean. Keep in mind that the rooms can be very far from the center of the
resort where everything is located. Ours was literally minutes away. Also, the rooms are not very sound proof. In the morning and until about 11pm, it was easy to hear doors open and close and the
sound of running from the floor above.
At the center of the resort are the facilities which include: indoor waterpark, outwaterpark (closed/winter), restaurants, spa (didn't use), kids club, small gym (didn't use), arcade, mini-golf,
laundry and probably other stuff that we didn't know/care about.
The waterpark is fairly nice with waterslides. The indoor one is a bit smallish in terms of the pools which are very shallow (cannot swim in them). There are big slides for big kids and little
slides for little kids. The big slides did seem to have long lineups. The little slides were nice, however they wouldn't let parent go on the little slides either alone (ie. to show daughter how
fun it is :) or with her. There is a hamburger joint and a kind of beach bar in the indoor waterpark. Unfortunately, the outdoor park was closed being winter, so cannot report on that.
The staff is super helpful and friendly. Everything was done with a sincere smile and staff always seemed to follow up on requests. At night there were always activities. We took advantage of story
time at 8pm as well as the follow up activity. On our first night, it was dancing/disco which my daughter absolutely loved. The next night there was a scavenger hunt which my daughter is really too
young to enjoy, so since they always pipe music in the lobby at night, we just danced with our daughter as did a few other parents. They also have a no-parents-allowed-Pajama Party Club from 7:30-
9:30 (something like that) for a fee. We didn't use that.
The kids club has a very nice activity area with lots of crafts and toys. There are alot of younger kids around (toddler~6 years old). It's a nice dropin center.
Restaurants: we ended up buying the food package which gives you a dinner and breakfast buffet as well as a lunch at either the pool burger, pizza or deli place. Except for the ice cream place,
that is about it for places to eat. I thought the food at the buffet was quite good; it wasn't all kids stuff. While not overly adventurous, some of the food was quite adult. It was more like a
good quality buffet restaurant. The burger, pizza, deli: pretty much what you might expect. One thing worth noting, the restaurant was extremely busy on Sunday morning at 8am with a long lineup. So
we just let our daughter sleep in. If you had 3 screaming hungry kids however, I could see that there might be a problem. NOTE: I wouldn't really recommend buys the food package unless you are 100%
sure you will use all of the tickets b/c you don't really save very much money and it obviously limits your options. On the plus side, you don't have to use the tickets in a 24 hours period just
duing the length of your stay. I would say that the dinner was much better than breakfast, so consider skipping the plan and just buy dinner.
Other activities: there have a Magic Quest Interactive game spread throughout the resost; children wave wands and search for clues. From what I saw, the 6-10 yr olds loved it. It was not so good
for our <3 year old, but again, the older kids liked it.
Arcade: my daughter loved it. They have games for almost any ages (simple ball rolling games to complex video games.) It was fun...but pretty expensive.\
This review was pretty long, so I will just summarize:
- Great location
- Great staff
- Nice rooms + clean + well appointed
- Nice activities
- Nice childrens' dropin
- Food pretty good (IMO). Breakfast so so
- Waterpark fairly good
- Godd after dinner events
- Resort a little too large and too busy
- Noise in the room
- Meal probably not a good value
- Waterpark a ltitle limited (tho this was in winter)
- forgot to metion: the heating didn't work properly in our room. It was all cold. But the ambient hotel temperature + the fireplace supplied sufficient heating
- if you go at the 'wrong time' a long breakfast
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the moment you arrive at the Great Wolf Lodge, expect to be amazed and amused. Situated close to awe-inspiring Niagara Falls, the entire Lodge is designed to capture the spirit of adventure and the atmosphere of the great Northwood's. The Northern theme inspires everything from the spectacular stone fireplace and timber in the five-story Grand Lobby to the cabin-like comfort and decor of our all-suite guest rooms. The Lodge features an indoor/outdoor waterpark of over 100,000 square-feet; an 18-hole interactive miniature golf course; Ten Paw Bowling Alley; our 7,000 sq. Ft. Northern Lights Arcade, including a ticket redemption center; MagiQuest, interactive adventure game; Elements Spa & Salon and Scoops Kid Spa. Five themed restaurants, including a confectionary cafe and Northwood's Pizza. We assure your stay will be a howling great time! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Cancelon, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Great Wolf Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Wolf Hotel Niagara Falls
- Great Wolf Niagara Falls
- Great Wolf Lodge Niagara Falls