“As authentic as it gets!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Niagara Glen Nature Areas

Niagara Glen Nature Areas
New York
“As authentic as it gets!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

When you think of the Niagara falls, you think a beautiful force of nature. When you get there, you're more surprised at the multitude of concrete that surrounds them.
Little is said about the Niagara Glen however and I stumbled upon the park by luck. It was perhaps the most natural and authentic experience of my time at the falls and definitely well worth exploring. You may not see the falls, but you have an awesome bush walk and a great view of the river running into them. :)

Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 206 helpful votes
“Exceptional Spot for Picnics, Hikers, and Fishermen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Even from the top of the Glen there are some extraordinary views of the whirlpool below and the deep edges cut by the receding Niagara Falls in ancient times creating this gorge. Above there are a number of places to picnic with trees and even pavillions. There is also an exceptional nature trail you can take down to the river. Note it is not for people who are unable to negotiate uneven ground or who would have difficulty climbing down/up stairs or stair rocks. That said, my mother did it at age 75. Certainly lots of interesting birds to see, rock formations, fossils and the violent river at the bottom. There is NO swimming at the bottom and the river is dangerous here. Fishermen have used the area for years as well if that is your interest. Fishing licenses are required but they are not costly.

Visited June 2013
Toronto, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“My family preferred this over the actual Falls area.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I went here recently with my husband & mother and we all agreed that this was the most beautiful place in Niagara and that we had a better time here than we did in the tourist heavy Falls area (though the Falls certainly are still beautiful, amazing, and well worth a trip to see). The Niagara Glen Nature Area looks down the steep cliff sides into the river and you can take a staircase down the cliff and then take advantage of several hiking paths that will get you right down to the water. We sat out on huge rock jutting out into the water and the view was incredible. It's amazing and calming to just watch all of that bright blue, powerful water crushing right by you. We felt totally alone, except for when the whirlpool tourist boats came cruising by (which was also cool to see). The huge boulders, plant-life, and rock stairs cut into the trails are also beautiful. My family and I got some amazing pictures and just had such a good time here. The hiking is difficult (steep slope), but my mom is in her 60s and made it to the bottom, though she is rather spry and stubborn :). I have a bad knee injury and found it more difficult, but you have to be careful on the rocky, steep paths, and it was well worth the effort for the amazing views and photo ops. My husband and I are already planning to go back and explore the trails some more.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Eden R
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Awesome Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Niagra Glen Nature Area was one of the highlights of our trip. We hiked down the difficult path and got to the bottom of the shore. We found our way back up on a path with actual steps which made it way easier. If going with kids or not up for a rigourous hike take the easier path. Lots of picture taking opportunities.

Visited October 2013
6 Thank DinorahBoykin
Syracuse, New York
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Drive through?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is a small U-turn of a park from what I could see - maybe I'm missing something. Forested small area with water near the falls.

Visited May 2013