“The Museum is new again!”

Niagara Falls History Museum
Ranked #41 of 130 things to do in Niagara Falls
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum is housed within the old Stamford Town Hall built in 1874. The Lundy's Lane Historical Society was given the building in 1971, becoming the Lundy's Lane Historical Museum. On January 1st, 2010, the City of Niagara Falls took direct operation of the museum and it became Niagara Falls History Museum. Housing a vast collection of Niagara Falls history, the Museum provides a showcase for the unique past of the famous city. The Museum's recent $12M renovation and expansion creates a dynamic space to examine and explore our diverse history. It re-opened to the public on July 21, 2012. The renovation and expansion was designed by Toronto architecture firm Moriyama and Teshima, and now features three remarkable galleries telling the most compelling Niagara Falls stories with engaging hands-on exhibitions. The Museum is located within steps of the Drummond Hill Cemetery, the focal point of the Battle of Lundy's Lane, considered the "bloodiest battle" of the War of 1812. The starting point for any trip to this battlefield will be a visit to the Museum.Besure to also check out the Battle Ground Hotel Museum and Willoughby Historical Museum.The Niagara Falls Museums are a municipally-run trio of sites dedicated to preserving the history of the City of Niagara Falls and the surrounding area. Using both artifacts and text, they highlight the large and small things that made up daily life in the area's rich history. The Niagara Falls History Museum looks at early Black history, the War of 1812, notables like Sir Isaac Brock and Laura Secord, and even historic souvenirs. The Battle Ground Hotel Museum focuses on early tourism, from a time when tourists came to see not just the falls but also the 1812 battlefield. And Willoughby Historical Museum looks at everyday rural life, as well as commemorating the Battle of Chippawa. All three sites offer extensive collections, as well as programs and activities for schools and the public. The History Museum and the Willoughby Museum also offer research opportunities.
Niagara Falls, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The Museum is new again!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Wow I am the first to review...
This Museum just Reopened, they have added a new modern addition to the old building & I attended the "Grand Opening" with my little guys. Admission is usually $5 for adults, $4 for students and seniors and 6 and under are free.
If you are a museum goer, then you will enjoy it, But you'll have to keep in mind that it is a small museum and there isn't a huge amount of displays. I do give them kudos for their interactive exhibits. The electrical displays were fun to play with and you will probably spend most of your time here. They have some pretty MORBID toys warning about the dangers of electricity. I could not stop playing with them (The radio in the bathtub was my favorite) I have no idea who created them, but while I said to myself - "Oh my goodness that's wrong!!" ...I had to push the button again &again. While not for everyone, the intricacy and humor in them have to be admired.
There were also 1812 period costumes you could try on so bring your camera, a tightrope walk and bridge building display. Definitely what saved this museum was these interactive displays. While maybe not the most exciting attraction in Niagara Falls, it definitely deserves a visit... So take a break from the heat and do a walk thru. It was so busy during the grand opening, that I know I missed things, so I do plan to go back and meander thru without the kiddies to get a better opinion of the place,
Tip: I did paid parking on the street, but someone told me after there is free parking behind the museum.

Visited July 2012