“Expected more than we got.”
Review of Americana Resort

Americana Resort
Ranked #39 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed March 10, 2014

The hotel was clean, staff were super friendly. Rooms were an okay size.
However...
When we got there, we only had one pkg. of coffee, and one package of coffee condiments (which are cheap and two packets of sugar and two packets of whitener couldn't make one small cup of coffee taste like coffee). The 2nd day, after housekeeping had been up, we were given more. I would have expected that since we booked months in advance, they would have given us enough for TWO adults to have a cup of coffee...not just one. Also no tea the first day, but housekeeping left some the 2nd day.
The prices in the hotel restaurant were expensive, but we expected them to be. The food WAS good, though. The staff were awesome.
The room (Junior Suite) was warm (72-74 degrees) during the day. At night it dropped to 68 degrees, which was freezing. We called down to ask if it could be turned up, maintenance came up, did NOTHING, and said they fixed it. The heat goes down at 7pm, and doesn't go back up until 9am. The 2nd morning it was 69 degrees when we got up. Still freezing. I wasn't impressed. I thought the price we paid would have covered the heat.
The pools seem well maintained, but the chlorine levels were intense. I could smell/taste bleach for two days after leaving. My youngest daughter has a chemical burn on the front of her legs (she's 3, and was rinsed off after swimming). Apparently this is a long-time problem. The positive part of the park was that it did seem geared to younger kids, which was nice.
As a mom of three young kids (the other two are 5 yo twins), I appreciated the arcade area. It was nice to have an indoor area that my kids could run around a bit, and didn't have to be worried about being too loud. Many of the games need to be fixed, but overall the kids had fun, and that's what mattered.
Next time we'll find another hotel to stay at. I feel we overpaid for the experience. Our next trip will be to a hotel where the rooms stay warm, and the water doesn't burn the kids' skin.

Room Tip: Go when the weather is warm so your room doesn't turn into an icebox at night. The Junior Suite...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Americana Resort

Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is our second time here. We've stayed in the Pirates and Mermaids suite with our 3 kids. My spouse and I appreciate the seperate room for adults and kids and brought our Wii with us. Splash and Dine is an awesome value and really saves you in the long run. You never have to worry about food. Waterpark is a great temperature. Kids love it! Good size so kids are always in sight. Staff is very friendly. Will be back a third time for sure!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank baloni75
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed 1 night with Travelzoo voucher for 1 night hotel + 4 water park passes
Cost was $119 - 10% discount = $107, but still had to pay tax & parking ($10+tax) of $30 when I arrived. Not so hot deal at $140 total

Family of 4 (3 year old girl and baby)

Good
- Room is modern, newly renovated, spacious
- Free wi-fi (very slow)
- Water Park is decent size for small children, plenty of lifeguards, very warm
- Decent location, not too far from Falls, and nearby Mai Thai restaurant is good
- They give you a map and information brochure for everything

Bad
- Room 294 (far end of 2nd floor near Entrance 1, long walk to Elevator with baby stroller)
- Wi-fi very slow
- Room and hotel are freezing. I set my room thermostat to 86F and still cold after hours
Make sure your room key is activated to re-enter hotel at night. I got locked out ~9pm, my card didn't work, I tried entrances 1~4, before driving to lobby to get a new card to re-enter
- Didn't try the restaurant due to $$ prices

Overall, wouldn't return until kids are older, and deals are even cheaper

Room Tip: Stay closer to the Elevator (=water park) if you can
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JerryHung
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We recently had our son's 9th birthday party at the Americana, and it was his best birthday party yet! Right from the time we booked staff were very friendly and everything was organized down to the last detail. We have been to bigger water parks in Niagara but we REALLY enjoyed the fact that the adults could sit and relax while the kids took advantage of the wave pool and slides. We were able to see everything from our designated party area.

Throughout the afternoon both the server and manager checked in on us and brought us anything that we needed. The bottomless pizza and soft drinks were a huge hit and all of our son's friends had an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING time. It goes without saying that the arcade tokens were also appreciated. Our family thanks you for creating a wonderful birthday party for our son and we WILL be back for his 10th!

Room Tip: Families should choose rooms near the water park for easy trips back and forth because once your kid...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JenMcD1234
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I recently stayed here for a girls' night using the waterpark package with a girlfriend and both of our daughters age 7 and 9. Location was easy to find off Lundy's Lane. Check-in was fast and easy. The set up of the resort can be a little confusing of which entrance is best to park near for proximity to your room. But they supply a map and each entrance is clearly marked with a number. We had a junior bunk room suite on the second floor with a nice little balcony and a view of the waterpark building. The elevators on the second floor are in one area and were quite far from our room. We opted to use the stairs right by our room to unload and load our car for quicker access rather than going all the way across to the other end of the resort just to use the elevators. So if you have mobility issues I would recommend requesting a room near the elevators if you are staying on the 2nd or 3rd floor.

Upon entry to the room we found it to be extremely cold. Especially the tile and carpeted floor was freezing! We had to wear slippers or our pool shoes in order not to freeze our feet. I quickly found the thermostat and it was set to 55F! I set it to 75F in order to heat up the room. Thank goodness we had early check-in so I figured the room would be warmed up by the time we came back from the waterpark.

The room itself was clean and very spacious. There was a small foyer with a coat closet, hall table, chair and table lamp. I found this table to be a great place to charge our electronic devices. The bathroom was a very good size with double sinks, standard tub with shower, toilet and ventilation fan which many hotels do not have in their bathrooms which is great for air circulation. However when we used the sink we found that the water was freezing cold even when we let it run for a few minutes on the hot setting. Eventually by the evening we did get warm (not hot) water finally running from the tap. Not sure why there was issues getting hot water and barely got warm enough water to shower and wash our hands.

The main part of the room was nice with 2 queen size beds, a dresser with a nice large flat screen TV, and plenty of lamps and overhead lighting. I have found many hotel rooms to be dark and dingy due to lack of good lighting. This was not a problem in this room. In the room there was a counter with cupboards, a microwave, and mini fridge. This was an excellent area for our drinks and to keep snacks for the kids. There was also a nice large round table with four chairs, which would be great to use if you bring your own food to eat, or if you order room service.There was a partially closed off area which housed the bunk beds, and a wall mounted flat screen TV with DVD. The bunk room was a great space for the girls to have their own area to play and sleep. The walls of the bunk room had 2 open areas at the top of the walls to allow for air flow. The vents that heated the room blew toward these openings and the bunk area ended up being the warmest part of the room!

We had the all inclusive water package so all our meals were included at the resort, which I found to be very convenient so that we did not have to worry about cost, or leaving the resort in the cold and snowy weather to find places to eat. With the all inclusive package we had the convenience of parking the car and not having to use it until we checked out!

We decided to go for the pizza lunch at the waterpark so that we could check it out first. The pizza was made to order with fresh dough and was very, very good. I noted in the waterpark area there was a small arcade, lockers that cost $1 or $2 dollars each time you used it, and several little change rooms which were very convenient to use after swimming so that we could change into dry clothes and not be forced to walk through the resort in our swimsuits. The waterpark itself is smaller that others in the area, but we found it to be just right. We were able to let our girls go on the slides and easily watch them without fear of loosing them. There was a very nice hot tub we used that we could sit in and watch our girls come out the bottom of the slides. The wave pool was a lot of fun for our girls and the waves were not too large for our 7 & 9 year olds - but for younger or shorter children I suggest staying with them in the wave pool for it may be too rough for them. I noted they had a small separate area specially designed for toddlers which I thought was great because it can be very hard to find safe water spaces for very young children. The only thing that I think they could improve on is to provide more seating/lounge chairs for parents to be able to use while watching over their children. Seating in the waterpark was somewhat limited.

Five hours after checking in we returned to our room and still found it to be quite cool, but the temperature on the thermostat was slowly moving up. But the floors were still unbearably freezing!! So we all kept our pool shoes on to stay warm. For dinner we went to the onsite restaurant Jack Tanners where we had a family style all you can eat dinner. We did not need to ask for second platters, we found it to be enough for the four of us - but if you are travelling with your husbands or boys you would probably need to ask for second platters but it is included in the package. The food was average in taste, it was not gourmet for sure but it satisfied our hunger. The one real let down with dinner was the dessert. It was vanilla ice cream in very small styrofoam cups with plastic spoons and they gave bottles of various syrup on the side. It would have been nice to have ice cream served in proper bowls and with proper cutlery.

After dinner when we returned to our room it was finally warm enough to be comfortable, but the floors remained freezing! The TV channels available were a good selection of kid's channels and they even had one HBO channel. The queen beds were quite comfortable, and the girls slept in the bunk beds no problem so I guess they were comfortable as well. In our area of the resort it was quiet at night and we did not have any loud or disruptive neighbors. You can hear the odd child crying, but it is a family resort so it is to be expected.

In the morning we returned to the restaurant for the breakfast that was included in our package. We had a choice of one of three options. Eggs, bacon/sausage, home fries & toast, or pancakes, bacon/sausage, or a fruit platter with cottage cheese. All of us had ordered a different option so we were able to see how each one was. The eggs option was very good according to my friend and her daughter, the pancakes were very good according to my daughter, and I had the fruit platter with the cottage cheese which was excellent. The fruit was fresh and sweet which I was very pleased with. The service at the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast was very good.

For our check out time we were able to call the front desk in the morning and extend it for an hour longer which gave us some extra time to get ready to leave and to load our car since we made a few trips using the stairs by our room which was closest to the car.

All in all we had a great time for our girls' weekend with our kids. The most convenient and economical option for us was the all inclusive waterpark package. I would recommend this resort to families with children 12 and younger since the waterpark is smaller and there is limited activities at and around the area. I would also recommend this resort it you don't mind not being close to the falls or Clifton Hill which has a lot more attractions. Since it was winter this was the perfect option for us.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank PBLToronto
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My husband and I have been to the Americana about 3 times now. I know it's a family resort, but we enjoy going ourselves. Last time I stayed in a room with a jetted tub and fireplace. It was a very odd room! I walked into a living room, then in a separate room was the bedroom, and there was two full bathrooms, and one had the jetted tub. I'm sure it's great for couples that bring their children, but i'm not sure why they thought it would be best for me.

Anyways, I called to book my reservation and spoke with a lady named Sandra. I explained my last experience with her and she took the time to go over every single room type and layout of each room. I have never had anyone take the time and go that far out of their way to make sure I got what I was looking for. She was so pleasant. I told her exactly what I wanted and she knew exactly what room to put me in! I would highly recommend room 261! It's beautiful! I checked in with her and my room was ready and I enjoyed meeting her! As soon as I got up to my room I was so happy with it, I called her right away to thank her again. The stay itself was great. I would recommend this resort to anyone, it's clean, the front desk staff was very nice and I would say it's one of my favorite places to go and relax with my husband.

Checking out however was odd. In my room I left a bag of clothes on the back of my door and I didn't realize until I got home. I called right away and spoke to a lady about it and she said she would check into housekeeping and get back to me right away. I hadn't heard anything so I called back and they said they must have thrown out my belongings. In the back I had a very expensive robe, and other clothes of mine and i find it really upsetting that housekeeping would just throw out my belongings.

Other then that I had a great time and will most likely be going back to the resort to stay again. Highly recommended !

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We took our 2 year old and 4 Year old and had a FANTASTIC time! Staff was SO friendly and helpful! It is a smaller water park but it worked perfectly. Highly recommend it! Kids had a blast, rooms were very clean, we had our own bar fridge and microwave,

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family